Unknown 20th century orchestral work

Started by Dima, May 10, 2018, 08:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dima

Quote from: Dima on May 10, 2018, 08:11:25 AM
Can somebody help me to recognize orchestral work of 20th century from this short fragment?
The file is attached.
Friends, I found myself who was that genius....
It was Zoltán Kodály : Ballet Music for orchestra (originally for the opera, Háry János) (1925):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoo1ZNpDnjE

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 20, 2018, 01:06:22 AM
I find unknown composers and works (to me) irresistible. More often then not their lack of fame is deserved but occasionally a gem turns up which makes it all worthwhile. For a gem to turn up in garbage is something indeed! I have never heard of the Czech composer Ivan Rezac, and when I came across the odd title Sinfonietta "The Angel on the Garbage-Heath" I took a punt. A find of the year by a margin. My recording has Belohlavek conducting the Brno Philharmonic, I have found another on YouTube -
https://youtu.be/aME9uQWoXYc
Irons,

I tried that link and it said that the account was private.  Any other idea where I could hear it?

PD

some guy

So why was my response to this deleted?

Hmmm.*

All I did was call attention to my original response on this thread: "definitely Kodály."

I'll use this strange deletion to add that this thread really tried my credulity, stretched it beyond the point where ripping and tearing of the fabric commences. Here is a site for classical music fans, for people who listen to music a lot and who have a lot of knowledge about it. But no one else, no one, offered up Kodály as a possibility. That's pretty astonishing. The music Dima gave us could really have been written by no one but Kodály, and even though I didn't identify the piece, I am still going to embarrass myself as well by pointing out that it turned out to have been from Kodály's single most popular piece.

Who are we, after all? What do we know?

That I didn't know which piece by Kodály is definitely a fail. But not knowing that a piece with obvious Kodály material is not by Kodály is even worse, I think. Maybe I'm wrong to think this way, but not instantly hearing Kodály in this piece is pretty alarming.

*The glitch in the site from a little while ago? If so, I will add here my praise of the effort to save the site. Losing a few posts here and there is nothing. Kudos!

JBS

It was indeed the server crash.

But I submit that Kodaly's style (and most other composers) is not so obvious as might be thought.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

some guy

It certainly seems to be not at all obvious to most posters here.

It just as certainly seems to be obvious to me.

Most other composers as well.

This could be attributed to my supernatural gift of recognition. Except that I have no such gift.

Back when I lived in one place for an extended period of time, I used to be a part of regular music soirees. Every once and awhile, we would try to trick each other with unidentified music which we were to guess. It was a difficult task. The tricking part, that is. We were rarely fooled. My expectation is that that is how it should be.

My question now is "how is it that Kodály's style, along with that of most other composers, is not obvious to fans of classical music?"

My credulity is broken.

Madiel

Entirely depends on how many people are both familiar with Kodály and read this thread. Presupposing that all "fans of classical music" have listened to lots of Kodály is a bit like presupposing that all fans of popular music have listened to a rock band that had a few songs edge into the top 40 some years ago. There are plenty of people on here whose chief interest is a different era or style.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

some guy

Well, not entirely.

Just the folks who contributed to this thread. Of those people, there may indeed be some who don't know Kodály.

Still.

Anyway, I do appreciate your effort to repair my credulity. It was the only one I had!

SimonNZ

I envy your steel-trap mind. Mine is a plastic sieve.

Even when I hear works on the radio that I (used to) own ten recordings of I'll still most of the time be beating myself up because I can't quite place it accurately.

some guy

I think my mind is probably more plastic than steel and full of holes.

So if you were being sarcastic, then all is well.

SimonNZ

No. I was sincerely paying you a compliment.

some guy

And I thank you. I like sarcasm, a lot. But I like compliments as well. :-)