Anton Rubinstein (1829-1894)

Started by Dima, May 12, 2018, 01:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Dima on March 12, 2019, 08:24:58 AM
Tchaikovsky wrote Trio and Taneev wrote Requiem (in memory of Nikolay Rubinstein) it is his cantata "John of Damascus".

Listened to the Tchaikovsky Trio "In Memory of a Great Artist" last night. I own two recordings Suk/Chuchro/Panenka and Zhukov with the Feigin brothers. I chose the Suk recording for this massive work for small forces. To reprise the opening theme in the coda of the finale is so often done that it is a cliché but somehow Tchaikovsky makes it a stroke of genius.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Dima

Unfortunately, the recordings of symphonic poem "Ivan the Terrible" of A.Rubinstein are made in tempos that usually used for learning composition.
I don't know if it will appear the right peformance with understanding of the stylistics of the author and the image of Tsar charachter, that is why I
I consider that it is important to present my version of this symphonic poem in a way it should sound.

I changed the tempos and it radically changed the impression. You can hear it by yourself.
Symphonic poem "Ivan the Terrible" op.79, 1869 (in russian "Ivan Grozny") of Anton Rubinstein here:
(press "Скачать" on page to Download)

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/N4Sp/wkiQVi2ZF

Dima

There are some compositions that are played in the way that I could ignore and miss them out.
But since these works belong to one of my favorites composer - Anton Rubinstein, I can not be indifferent to what is produced.

These time, I suggest you to get acquainted with the recording of Anton Rubinstein's Violin concerto in my version of tempos and sounding.
I think the change of tempos made it sound as if it have been played by a virtuoso and is among the best violin concertos in genre.
Download link: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/XwVw/2S9TCy71o 
(press "Скачать" to download zip archive, flac format inside).

Anton Rubinstein wrote this concerto in 1857 and dedicated it to Henryk Wieniawski.
Would be glad to know yours impressions about this concerto after listening.

Florestan

Are you familiar with this?

I find it very bad --- I mean, playing Romantic piano music almost without any dynamic or tempo variation, and with no rubato whatsoever? That's like smelling a rose through a gas mask.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dima

Quote from: Florestan on April 13, 2019, 10:37:13 AM
Are you familiar with this?

I find it very bad --- I mean, playing Romantic piano music almost without any dynamic or tempo variation, and with no rubato whatsoever? That's like smelling a rose through a gas mask.  ;D
Banowetz try to do something as he can, you know that none beside him recorded this music.
I prefer if it were big artists, I think the time of Rubinstein will come one day.
Rubinstein is a very big composer. Have you listened the violin concerto from my link?

SymphonicAddict

I think the strength of this composer lies on his chamber music, and the Octet for piano, strings and winds in D minor is a clear proof of it. For fans of well-crafted romantic music this is a must hear (Andrei, are you there?  :D ). It was originally intended as a piano concerto, but it was reworked as this octet. One does notice the prominent piano part it has. I was very impressed by the quality of this piece, a kind of hidden gem (I think this is its only recording), each movement is really nice, but I was more fond of the inner movements. It's a lovely piece, very recommended for you all.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 25, 2019, 06:29:23 PM

I think the strength of this composer lies on his chamber music, and the Octet for piano, strings and winds in D minor is a clear proof of it. For fans of well-crafted romantic music this is a must hear (Andrei, are you there?  :D ). It was originally intended as a piano concerto, but it was reworked as this octet. One does notice the prominent piano part it has. I was very impressed by the quality of this piece, a kind of hidden gem (I think this is its only recording), each movement is really nice, but I was more fond of the inner movements. It's a lovely piece, very recommended for you all.

Thanks for the recommendation, Cesar!  I'm not too familiar with Rubinstein's music, but out of what I've heard, I very much enjoyed his generously melodic 1st Cello Sonata, which has been recorded by Steven Isserlis and Stephen Hough, of all people!

[asin]B000003FYJ[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Florestan

I think the strength of this composer lies on his chamber music, and the Octet for piano, strings and winds in D minor is a clear proof of it. For fans of well-crafted romantic music this is a must hear (Andrei, are you there?  :D ).

Duly noted, thanks.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dima

The 3 symphony (1855) of Anton Rubinstein has never been recorded in Russia/Soviet as many other his works.
I decided to make a 3 minutes videoclip with this great music using english film Anna Karenina: https://vimeo.com/355829017

Dima

One more videoclip on music of Anton Rubinstein using scenes from film War and Peace (1967):
https://vimeo.com/356518108

Dima

New fantastic recording of Octet op.9 of Anton Rubinstein from Mariinsky Theatre (24.03.2019): https://youtu.be/vbhAw6_rk0U

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dima on March 29, 2020, 03:06:21 AM
New fantastic recording of Octet op.9 of Anton Rubinstein from Mariinsky Theatre (24.03.2019): https://youtu.be/vbhAw6_rk0U

Good to know. The Octet has meant a lot of fun to me.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dima

Greatly staged opera "Demon" with english subtitles, conductor Leon Botstein.
Must see. Link: https://vimeo.com/407361193

Symphonic Addict

I've discovered these sonatas on the last days and I have to say they're impressive, committed pieces with very nice melodies, craft and bravura, showing how an expert composer for piano Rubinstein was, or at least showing when he was very inspired. The first and fourth sonatas made the strongest impression on me, the first one because of its great tunes and the latter because of its symphonic scope, a really dense and imposing work.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dima

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 22, 2020, 05:19:57 PM
I've discovered these sonatas on the last days and I have to say they're impressive, committed pieces with very nice melodies, craft and bravura, showing how an expert composer for piano Rubinstein was, or at least showing when he was very inspired. The first and fourth sonatas made the strongest impression on me, the first one because of its great tunes and the latter because of its symphonic scope, a really dense and imposing work.
In my view they are on same level as Schumann, Sсhubert or Beethoven sonatas when played as well as they should (I mean they should be played by greater artists).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dima on September 23, 2020, 03:05:59 AM
In my view they are on same level as Schumann, Sсhubert or Beethoven sonatas when played as well as they should (I mean they should be played by greater artists).

I'm not sure if they have the same level of depth as those, but I do think they represent very fine music.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

I'm sure.  They don't approach the level of Beethoven's mid and especially last period sonatas, which are [along with Bach] some of the highest achievements in music. 
They are very nice pieces of music, and I like Rubinstein quite a bit.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Figaro

Regarding the symphonies, and specifically #2 "Ocean", I understand that the original 1851 version is about 40 minutes long in four movements (some recordings are of this version) but that Rubinstein subequently revised it much later to add three additional movements and resulting in the 72-minute Bruckner sized monster you get on the Naxos/Marco Polo recording. Consequently it's not quite accurate to class it as a youthful work, as some parts were written when Rubinstein was in his 50s. One wonders whether Bruckner was an influence as the 4th (dating to 1874) clocks in at over an hour.

foxandpeng

Rubinstein was one of the first "non-obvious" composers I encountered in my early journey into classical music. I remember borrowing the whole symphony set and recording them on those early CD-R players, and then listening to them over and over.

Good memories.

Even though I was warned that Rubinstein "isn't very highly praised", and I think I was loaned them because the owner thought it was amusing to share the second rate composer with the overly eager young enthusiast, I still think he is well worth the time. This Marco Polo version of symphony #2 is the only one I know, but the whole set has tunes I still enjoy revisiting 😁

Time to create a new playlist for the sake of nostalgia, despite the lukewarm reception from others! Quoting an esteemed friend from another thread...

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2011, 06:42:13 PM

As for the critics, let them run their mouths. After all, it's what they're good at doing. I could careless what they say about this composer or any composer. Music is subjective from person to person. What affects me won't necessarily affect someone else. I'll just leave it at that.

Edit:10 hours of symphonies added to the playlist!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

According to what I've heard by Anton "Frankenstein" Rubinstein, the weakest of the bunch [symphonies] are Nos. 3 and 4. The others sound more engaging and less prosaic. The Piano Concertos must be good as well (I don't know them at all).

Noam Chomsky