What are the most unique/interesting/best Beethoven SQs?

Started by ComposerOfAvantGarde, May 30, 2018, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

These are always fascinating pieces and very standard repertoire with hundreds upon hundreds of recordings. I haven't heard many recordings of them aside from some of the most famous ones, to be quite honest, so I am interested in reading some thoughts and reviews from members here on recordings we like that are a bit left of field.

Sorry if there is already a thread on this!

San Antone

Quote from: jessop on May 30, 2018, 05:40:58 PM
These are always fascinating pieces and very standard repertoire with hundreds upon hundreds of recordings. I haven't heard many recordings of them aside from some of the most famous ones, to be quite honest, so I am interested in reading some thoughts and reviews from members here on recordings we like that are a bit left of field.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,2166.msg56097.html#msg56097

20 pages of discussion from 2007 to 2018. 

Mandryka

Quote from: jessop on May 30, 2018, 05:40:58 PM

Skampa Quartet Op 95

There's an unpublished version of op 132 from a concert by the Lasalle Quartet I can let you have.

I would explore Hagen Qt in op 18, and maybe the new Beethoven on Myrias.

For sound and balance, explore Talich.

The Mosaiques  late quartets were sometimes left-field.

The Vlach quartet in op 131/fugue is unique.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mandryka on May 31, 2018, 12:04:02 AM
Skampa Quartet Op 95

There's an unpublished version of op 132 from a concert by the Lasalle Quartet I can let you have.

I would explore Hagen Qt in op 18, and maybe the new Beethoven on Myrias.

The Mosaiques  late quartets were sometimes left-field.

The Vlach quartet in op 131/fugue is unique.

What do you find interesting about these? I will post my thoughts later when I explore them a little more.

Mandryka

Quote from: jessop on May 31, 2018, 12:45:30 AM
What do you find interesting about these? I will post my thoughts later when I explore them a little more.

Skampa Quartet Op 95 -- barnstorming, incandescent

There's an unpublished version of op 132 from a concert by the Lasalle Quartet I can let you have --   Fast, and it works. Different and more interesting than the published one.

I would explore Hagen Qt in op 18, and maybe the new Beethoven on Myrias --  rubato, expression

The Mosaiques  late quartets were sometimes left-field.  -- classical

The Vlach quartet in op 131/fugue is unique.  -- spooky
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

amw

Quatuor Terpsycordes Op.18/6 & 132 & Chiaroscuro Quartet Op.95 (the new Eybler Quartet Op.18/1-3) are all carefully & painstakingly rethought, on period instruments, but generally sounding much more "modern"

Hagen Quartet in general is always unusual. They have recorded Op.18/1, 3, 4, 5, Op.59/1 and 2, Op.95, and all the late quartets (incl Op.135 and 133 twice). Probably the most successful is the Op.130/133 from 2001ish. Also the Op.95 is extremely fast and almost falls apart, which is quite exciting.

The Leipzig Quartet Op.132 is similarly fast & different to the LaSalle Quartet version mentioned above. I'm not entirely sure if it works, but it's certainly different. And obviously on the other end of things is the Concord Quartet Op.132 with its 22 minute slow movement.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I listened to Hagen Quartet play the op. 95 and op. 59,1 yesterday. I thought it was interesting and I particularly enjoyed the expressive usage of a variety of articulations. It was certainly colourful, thought I never associated the quartet with being unusual.

I will see if I can find some of the others to listen to soon.