Collecting Toscanini

Started by Dr. Dread, March 11, 2009, 05:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j winter

Random question to any Toscanini-philes in the audience...  I'm comparing the RCA box to the Music & Arts Oct-Dec 1939 Beethoven cycle, which I've had and loved for years...

According to the RCA box notes, the Oct 28 1939 Eroica and several overtures from the Oct-Dec 1939 set are included -- but the other eight symphonies are not.  Anyone have any idea why?  One presumes that if RCA had rights to include the Eroica, they would have rights to include the others.  Was it that the Eroica was issued on 78s by RCA back in the day, and the others were strictly radio broadcasts?

Just curious.  I would have expected to see all or none in the RCA box -- including just a few of them seems odd.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: j winter on October 18, 2022, 01:01:59 PM
Random question to any Toscanini-philes in the audience...  I'm comparing the RCA box to the Music & Arts Oct-Dec 1939 Beethoven cycle, which I've had and loved for years...

According to the RCA box notes, the Oct 28 1939 Eroica and several overtures from the Oct-Dec 1939 set are included -- but the other eight symphonies are not.  Anyone have any idea why?  One presumes that if RCA had rights to include the Eroica, they would have rights to include the others.  Was it that the Eroica was issued on 78s by RCA back in the day, and the others were strictly radio broadcasts?

Just curious.  I would have expected to see all or none in the RCA box -- including just a few of them seems odd.
Are there any further notes on either your box set from Music and Arts?  Or perhaps on their website (haven't visited it in a while)?  Or you could shoot M&A an e-mail...you might just get a reply back.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

staxomega

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 15, 2022, 05:43:10 AM
I like your quote re Chopin!  ;D

PD

Ts'ong has given me hundreds of hours of listening pleasure :D I like what he has written about Chopin.