Anthony Newman

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, October 14, 2022, 12:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

This harpsichordist-organist-Early Musick scholar appears to have flourished as a recording artist in the 1960s-70s but has now fallen off the radar somewhat. Checking, it looks like many or most of his recordings were not issued on CD.

I mention him because I got an LP copy of his Columbia recording of the WTC Book I. I think this came out in the 1970s and never made it to CD. Anyway, the virtuosity on this is stunning, and there's a sense of improvisatory freedom in the playing that I find appealing. I like fast frenetic Bach sometimes, and this is a knockout example.

I've never heard anything else by Newman, and as mentioned, a lot of him is LP only. But this WTC 1 is the most invigorating thing I've heard in quite a while. Any thoughts on him?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vers la flamme

I used to have a disc of him playing Handel's keyboard suites but I've culled it. I remember thinking it sounded ultra-fast and soulless, but this was a long time ago and it's entirely possible my opinion could have changed in the interim.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Jo498

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 14, 2022, 05:15:04 PM
I used to have a disc of him playing Handel's keyboard suites but I've culled it. I remember thinking it sounded ultra-fast and soulless, but this was a long time ago and it's entirely possible my opinion could have changed in the interim.
I had the same reaction to the Handel disc and also got rid of a similarly fast Mozart piano sonatas (> K 331) twofer  (Sony). I often tend to like "fast" but I found Newman graceless and charmless.
I kept a disc with Beethoven's concertos 2+4. Not sure I have heard anything else with Newman, maybe some Bach (Brandenburg?) I had from the internet years ago.
I'd guess that a lot of this was really new and exciting in the 70s and 80s but has often been superseded by more recent recordings because Newman seems a bit monomanic.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

He's the same sort of performer as Glenn Gould and Robert Levin and Reinhardt Goebel and John Butt. If anyone likes any of them, they should try Newman.

Mandryka

Has anyone heard this?

or this?

prémont

Quote from: Jo498 on October 15, 2022, 12:18:03 AM
I had the same reaction to the Handel disc and also got rid of a similarly fast Mozart piano sonatas (> K 331) twofer  (Sony). I often tend to like "fast" but I found Newman graceless and charmless.
I kept a disc with Beethoven's concertos 2+4. Not sure I have heard anything else with Newman, maybe some Bach (Brandenburg?) I had from the internet years ago.
I'd guess that a lot of this was really new and exciting in the 70s and 80s but has often been superseded by more recent recordings because Newman seems a bit monomanic.

I have owned a number of Newman's recordings, mostly Bach, but have culled them since long except for his two sets of Brandenburg concertos. Particularly his first set is interesting because of the excellent soloists.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 15, 2022, 12:47:14 AM
He's the same sort of performer as Glenn Gould and Robert Levin and Reinhardt Goebel and John Butt. If anyone likes any of them, they should try Newman.

This is spot on as to Gould. As to the others it's not that far off.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 15, 2022, 05:11:09 AM
This is spot on as to Gould. As to the others it's not that far off.

I nearly put Ton Koopman in the list but stopped myself.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mandryka on October 15, 2022, 12:47:14 AM

I like Gould, and I had heard Newman described as "the Glenn Gould of the harpsichord" or words to that effect, so it made sense for me to check him out.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on October 15, 2022, 02:29:01 AM
Has anyone heard this?

or this?

Would that second disc you posted happen to contain a composition by Newman? Is it written in a neo-baroque style?

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 15, 2022, 02:29:01 AM
Has anyone heard this?

I have a transfer of this now - if any wants it then PM. It seems less dated than his other WTC - less like he's on amphetamines - more mainstream HIP in fact -  occasionally even pleasant and reflective -  and of course, it's always a pleasure to hear a clavichord.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 27, 2022, 09:47:01 AM
I have a transfer of this now - if any wants it then PM. It seems less dated than his other WTC - less like he's on amphetamines - more mainstream HIP in fact -  occasionally even pleasant and reflective -  and of course, it's always a pleasure to hear a clavichord.

Oops, spoke to soon. He's just downed a tab of something and it's not a downer.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 16, 2022, 01:11:49 PM
Would that second disc you posted happen to contain a composition by Newman? Is it written in a neo-baroque style?

Yes. It is often much praised by a certain sort of mature gent who maybe was in his 20s and part of the scene in Haight Ashbury in the 1970s.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 27, 2022, 09:47:01 AM

I have downloaded Newman's WTC II (from the same source) and will revisit it to see if I change my opinion of it. I already recall finding it strange that he regularily changes instrument between a given prelude and the fugue in the same mode.

A Propos, did you listen to Malcolm Hamilton's WTC?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 27, 2022, 11:05:30 AM
I have downloaded Newman's WTC II (from the same source) and will revisit it to see if I change my opinion of it. I already recall finding it strange that he regularily changes instrument between a given prelude and the fugue in the same mode.

A Propos, did you listen to Malcolm Hamilton's WTC?

Yes I found it on youtube when you mentioned it, and listened but not very attentively, I could see the relation to Landowska.

By the way, have you heard this recital? I may have posted it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEV_06qW0I&t=474s&ab_channel=NarolEnterprise

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 27, 2022, 11:28:46 AM
By the way, have you heard this recital? I may have posted it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEV_06qW0I&t=474s&ab_channel=NarolEnterprise

Yes, I remember you posting it, but never got around to seeing it, which I will make sure to rectify.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν