Nørgård's Niche

Started by Kullervo, June 15, 2007, 06:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

I am very much enjoying traversing Norgard's symphony cycle from Thomas Dausgaard/Danish National Symphony.  I'm half way through but think their presentation order is fantastic. 

Symphony No. 3 which is his most expansive with chorus, large orchestra and organ.  Then Symphony No. 7, which is terse but clearly from the same composer.  Next is No. 1 which I used to think was Sibelian but now I think it has more in common with Holmboe.  I love it because of its clarity of idea and succinctly tense atmosphere.  It's subtitle of "Sinfonia Austera" is appropriate.    Next is No. 8 which I haven't heard before.  I also hear some mid period Rautavaara in what I've heard so far. I highly recommend those not familiar with this wonderful composer to investigate his output.  A very fine composer of accessibility, depth, and complexity. 

relm1

Last night, I got to Norgard's No. 8.  That was quite weak and meandering.  Paired with No. 1 which is a favorite.  Seemed like No. 8 had nothing to say and felt twice its length. 

Scion7

He's a composer on the 'death watch' list - still going and born in '32.   :o
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Maestro267

Yes. I think this every time I see there's new posts in this thread.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on September 29, 2022, 05:41:23 AM
Last night, I got to Norgard's No. 8.  That was quite weak and meandering.  Paired with No. 1 which is a favorite.  Seemed like No. 8 had nothing to say and felt twice its length.
Symphony No.1 'Austera' is my favourite, although I prefer the recording on Chandos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2022, 12:36:29 PM
Symphony No.1 'Austera' is my favourite, although I prefer the recording on Chandos.

Because it is an English record label, isn't it?  ;)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2022, 12:36:29 PM

I agree with you (again).  It's always nice to hear other interpretations though because it freshes up a work.  No. 8 was real downer for me but the next disc was No. 6 and 2 and I very much enjoyed it.  But like Vandermolen mentioned, I prefer the chandos recording of No. 2 (on the same disc of No. 1).  Just more dynamic overall.  But good music.  Tomorrow is No. 5 and 4, the final disc in this collection.  Was the chandos a complete cycle?

Madiel

The Chandos couldn't cover everything because it wasn't all composed at that point. It has the first 6 symphonies, plus a piano concerto and an orchestral work.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

CRCulver

Quote from: Madiel on September 29, 2022, 07:12:52 PM
The Chandos couldn't cover everything because it wasn't all composed at that point.

Plus, Chandos' ownership changed around 2004 and they stopped recording much late 20th-century music and beyond, so composers like Nørgård, Schnittke, and Gubaidulina no longer appeared on the label, and symphony cycles were left incomplete. That's rather a pity, since I like the sound engineering of Chandos' Nørgård recordings more than Dacapo's.

Madiel

Quote from: CRCulver on September 30, 2022, 09:02:17 AM
Plus, Chandos' ownership changed around 2004 and they stopped recording much late 20th-century music and beyond, so composers like Nørgård, Schnittke, and Gubaidulina no longer appeared on the label, and symphony cycles were left incomplete. That's rather a pity, since I like the sound engineering of Chandos' Nørgård recordings more than Dacapo's.

Really?

The only Chandos I tried was the one with Symphony 4, and it didn't do anything much for me in comparison to Dacapo. For me, this is a composer that absolutely benefits from the kind of clear sound that Dacapo delivers. But each to their own. I might try streaming more Chandos at some point.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Alex Bozman

I like the first four symphonies, with the 3rd being a personal favourite. However the later symphonies, I find it very hard to get a handle on.

relm1

I completed my traversal of Norgard's symphonies with No. 5 and 4.  I very much enjoyed No. 5.  This would have been a fantastic No. 8 if it were his last one because it really encapsulates his cycle and reminds me of all that's come before even ending with a echoes of first symphony.  I love symphonies where they end either wrapping up their cycle or using it as a springboard to the undiscovered territory of the future.  No. 5 was very interesting and might be my second favorite of his.

No. 4 minor complaint but I think No. 4 should have been first on this album because No. 5 is better conclusion and is also sequentially later so works well in someone like me wanting to traverse a cycle in its entirety.  Aside from that, the "Chinese Witches Lake" (second movement was intense).  This is a solid album of contemporary symphonic music.  This is my second favorite album – very strong, color, and impactful contemporary music.

In conclusion, I very much enjoyed this traversal.  All the symphonies were interesting and showed a very complex yet accessible composer except for No. 8 which eludes me.  I might give it another go tomorrow.  If I hear everything from a composer and admire all the works except one of them, makes me think I missed something so need to try again.  With that said, I'm a sophisticated listener very used to contemporary music so don't mind it being challenging but don't like it being boring.  Sort of like with Atterberg where I greatly enjoy all the symphonies, but No. 9 doesn't really connect with me.  I don't hate it, I just don't need to ever hear it again.  But what about Shostakovich No. 2 and 3?  I don't think they're bad, they just don't live up to the title of "Shostakovich Symphony".  By any other composer, they probably would be highly regarded.  I think Norgard is an interesting composer and major symphonist whose life occupies the bulk of the 20th century.  His symphonies are generally well structured (with the exception of No. 8 which I'll put in a category of my needing to revisit).  They are inventive, challenging, but accessible.  I think they are better than Sir Peter Maxwell Davies but similar to Henze's cycle.  Maybe that should be my next cyclic traversal.