RIP Oliver Knussen

Started by bwv 1080, July 09, 2018, 03:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwv 1080

Karl Henning

Too young, what a horrible loss to the musical world.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mahlerian

A shame indeed.  Knussen was a good composer and an excellent conductor of modern works.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Marc

Sad news indeed.

I mainly know him as a very friendly and communicative man in several music documentaries, like 'The Art of Conducting'.
He could talk about music in a way that even laymen like me understood what he was saying.

May he rest in peace.

Ainsi la nuit

Sad news. I was lucky enough to see him in a concert this year, conducting music by Busoni, Brahms and himself. Rest in peace!

ritter

RI.P.  :(

A very important figure in the modern music scene.

This CD (which has been in my collection since it was originally released) contains very lucid and engaging (benchmark, I'd say) performances of late Stravinsky works, and is a favourite of mine:

[asin]B000001GPK[/asin]

I'm not familiar with his own oeuvre, but should eexplore  the two children's operas.

vandermolen

Shocked to see this sad news.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bwv 1080

His Carter recordings were my introduction to EC's orchestral music back in the 90s and his recordings of Carter are remain the standard

and have recently have worn out his recording of Henze's Undine

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Heard Rattle conduct his 3rd Symphony in concert back in 1998 or so. Interesting piece.

I do like the Carter and Lindberg recordings he conducted.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

relm1

I must confess only knowing him through his fabulous conducting.  What are his works like and where to start?