Favorite LIVING Performers - No-Brainer Purchases

Started by dtwilbanks, August 19, 2007, 06:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Gee, I don't think I have any favorite living performers who's recordings are no-brainer purchases.  The dead are so much more reliable. ;)

Oh, I thought of one: Stan the Man!  But I don't think that odd obsession is tranferable, nor do I really think he can do no wrong.

paul

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 21, 2007, 01:16:34 AM
That's just you.

Well I sure hope that I'm perceiving a quality of the performer and not a quality of myself, but you never know. Like you've said, I might be the only one who thinks that his playing is rather pedestrian.

Bonehelm

Quote from: paul on August 21, 2007, 04:26:49 AM
Well I sure hope that I'm perceiving a quality of the performer and not a quality of myself, but you never know. Like you've said, I might be the only one who thinks that his playing is rather pedestrian.

Well you have to admit he's a world-class performer. They don't give away the first prize of the Warsaw Chopin International Piano competition for free.

Sergeant Rock

Admittedly my first Grimaud CD purchase was hormone-driven--I was attracted as much by the cover as the music. But after twenty years I have to say she's rarely disappointed. She's especially good in the German repertoire (outstanding Schumann, Brahms and Beethoven). Her "concept" albums for DG (Credo and Reflections) are unique and make fascinating listening. I look forward to the next and will buy it without sampling first or waiting for reviews.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Hector

Quote from: hornteacher on August 19, 2007, 06:51:54 AM
Anything by my girlfriend Hilary.  ;D

In your dreams, hornblower, in your dreams ;)

Anything new from Handley, Lloyd-Jones, Jurowski and Pappano will normally alert my interest.

I care little for instrumental music and so anything from Hahn, Fischer, Chang or any of the other hot-babes of the violin will not interest me, just the CD cover ;D

paul

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 21, 2007, 05:24:39 AM
Well you have to admit he's a world-class performer. They don't give away the first prize of the Warsaw Chopin International Piano competition for free.

Having a career and winning competitions only means so much. You'll find this out as you experience music over the years.

bhodges

I will happily buy anything by Karita Mattila (soprano) or Thomas Quasthoff (bass-baritone).  Mattila does more contemporary music than Quasthoff (that I can tell), but I'd hear either of them in almost any composer's work. 

--Bruce

Bonehelm

Quote from: paul on August 21, 2007, 06:37:17 AM
Having a career and winning competitions only means so much. You'll find this out as you experience music over the years.

I laughed out loud.

So say a friend/family member of yours won a Nobel prize. All you're gonna say to him/her at the celebration party is "Having a career and winning prizes only mean so much. You'll find out more as you experience more over the years"?

It may mean nothing to you, but I doubt Mr. Li gives a sh*t. He, along with most people with an IQ over 50 knows and recognizes him as a world-class pianist. If you don't like him, boo-hoo. He's still world class.

paul

That's cute that you're all worked up, but it's not worth wasting my time responding to insults.

beclemund

I have to agree with the René Jacobs sentiment. He rarely disappoints. Add Paul Hillier to that short list of conductors for me along with Iván Fischer. Does it get more different than that in terms of repertoire? As for musicians, Maya Beiser, Sharon Bezaly and Leila Josefovicz are the only artists I can think of off hand who I have actively sought out specific releases from.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Maciek

Quote from: Renfield on August 19, 2007, 08:15:53 AM
You find me a new favourite version of the Tchaikovsky and the Khachaturian Violin Concertos, and I might concede the point. ;)

How about Wanda Wilkomirska for the Khachaturian?

Not that I want to convert you against Hahn who definitely deserves all the admirers she's got!

And I don't know her Khachaturian anyway - just wanted to mention that, in case you were wondering. ;D

Maciek

Quote from: Daverz on August 21, 2007, 03:32:41 AM
Gee, I don't think I have any favorite living performers who's recordings are no-brainer purchases.  The dead are so much more reliable. ;)

Oh, I thought of one: Stan the Man!  But I don't think that odd obsession is tranferable, nor do I really think he can do no wrong.

Hey, I like Skrowaczewski too! :) And I think he's fantastic live (well, don't know about nowadays but 10 years ago when I last saw him). A couple of years ago he recorded the Brahms symphonies with some Polish orchestra and I was dumb enough to pass that up - now, it's nowhere to be found.

So, except for the Hallé series, all I have is this:

Renfield

Quote from: Maciek on August 22, 2007, 11:21:59 AM
How about Wanda Wilkomirska for the Khachaturian?

Not that I want to convert you against Hahn who definitely deserves all the admirers she's got!

And I don't know her Khachaturian anyway - just wanted to mention that, in case you were wondering. ;D

It was actually Fischer I was referring to, with that comment. And I'll admit I'm no expert on the Khachaturian - it's mostly the Tchaikovsky that got me "hooked" to her releases. Still, I might as well look your recommnedation up. ;)