Einar Englund 1916-1999

Started by vandermolen, March 25, 2009, 12:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: classicalgeek on March 30, 2022, 02:28:01 PM
It's the only recording of both works that I'm aware of. Some of his earlier symphonies were recorded on the Finlandia label, but not no. 6.

The cellist in the concerto is Jan-Erik Gustafsson. The Tampere Philharmonic (and the Tampere Philharmonic Choir in the Sixth Symphony) are conducted by Eri Klas.
Thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Thoroughly thrilled by his vibrant, spirited Piano Quintet (1941) from this tremendous recording. Even the slow movement has some stormy passages, though it also features some impressionist-like gestures that provide a necessary contrast and rest. Great stuff!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 24, 2023, 07:47:33 PMThoroughly thrilled by his vibrant, spirited Piano Quintet (1941) from this tremendous recording. Even the slow movement has some stormy passages, though it also features some impressionist-like gestures that provide a necessary contrast and rest. Great stuff!

The samples on the Presto website sound very good indeed. The Piano Quintet reminded me of Shostakovich in places Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

I don't know why but Einar Englund feels like one of those composers who should have a CPO Complete Symphonies box to their name, but they don't as far as I can tell.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 28, 2023, 03:56:30 AMThe samples on the Presto website sound very good indeed. The Piano Quintet reminded me of Shostakovich in places Cesar.

It certainly has echoes from Shostakovich and a little of Bartók, Jeffrey.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky