The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Ruth Gipps (1921-99)

(1/32) > >>

Maestro267:

--- Quote from: cilgwyn, George Lloyd thread ---There isn't a Ruth Gipps thread;but I wonder if vandermolen (or anyone else who is interested in this composer) is aware  that Chandos are going to be releasing a cd of Ruth Gipps' Symphonies 2 & 4. You can view the artwork on the MDT website!
--- End quote ---

Well let's make a Ruth Gipps thread then! I've got the Symphony No. 2 as part of the 10-disc British Symphonic Collection. A tiny bit disappointed they've chosen to re-record No. 2 rather than go for two unrecorded symphonies, but at this rate we must take what we can get.

vandermolen:
This is such great news! The Symphony 4 is her masterpiece I think but I like everything I have heard by her including the ClassicO release of Symphony 2. On the radio the other day I heard a delightful horn concerto which I thought must be Malcolm Arnold but it was actually by Ruth Gipps (on a Lyrita CD). Good to see Chandos promoting lesser-known composers again. Thanks to cilgwyn and Maestro267 for alerting us to this.

cilgwyn:
Thank you Maestro267! I would have made a thread,but unfortunately,I've got some software on the pc that stops me from spending too much time online!! It makes me feel like Ronnie Corbett in that old sitcom! ("Language Timothy!"). It also stops me from browsing s/h cd's and "discovering" yet another old B movie or cinema serial that never gets shown on tv (but is on dvd!) and allows me to concentrate more on painting and writing!

I have noticed that Chandos have seemed to have begun recording less well known repertoire,again. This culminated,recently,in a new Richard Rodney Bennett series,and now Ruth Gipps. I might just consider buying this,even though I've been trying to avoid composers that I don't already have in my collection. This is partly due to reasons of space (or lack of it!). But this does seem the first really hard bit of evidence that Chandos may be going back to one of things that made them such a stand out label;and I would,really,like to support such a release;especially of a British composer!
I have to say the poor sound quality of off-air recordings I have heard of Ruth Gipps' music,have put me off! I wonder what composer she most resembles? I have read comparisons with Vaughan Williams! What is the release date,by the way. I'm unable to look at the MDT site at the moment (see above!! :().

Christo:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on July 21, 2018, 10:31:48 PM ---This is such great news! The Symphony 4 is her masterpiece I think but I like everything I have heard by her including the ClassicO release of Symphony 2. On the radio the other day I heard a delightful horn concerto which I thought must be Malcolm Arnold but it was actually by Ruth Gipps (on a Lyrita CD). Good to see Chandos promoting lesser-known composers again. Thanks to cilgwyn and Maestro267 for alerting us to this.
--- End quote ---
Fully agree. The Horn concerto is one of four or five pieces by Ruth Gipps that are available on Spotify - the only music I have in my luggage here (in Israel and Palestine). Another lovely piece - she really has a very characteristic style of her own, perhaps somewhere in the wider Vaughan Williams orbit, but certainly not mimicking him or anyone else - is the Wind Sinfonietta.

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: cilgwyn on July 23, 2018, 08:00:50 AM ---Thank you Maestro267! I would have made a thread,but unfortunately,I've got some software on the pc that stops me from spending too much time online!! It makes me feel like Ronnie Corbett in that old sitcom! ("Language Timothy!"). It also stops me from browsing s/h cd's and "discovering" yet another old B movie or cinema serial that never gets shown on tv (but is on dvd!) and allows me to concentrate more on painting and writing!

I have noticed that Chandos have seemed to have begun recording less well known repertoire,again. This culminated,recently,in a new Richard Rodney Bennett series,and now Ruth Gipps. I might just consider buying this,even though I've been trying to avoid composers that I don't already have in my collection. This is partly due to reasons of space (or lack of it!). But this does seem the first really hard bit of evidence that Chandos may be going back to one of things that made them such a stand out label;and I would,really,like to support such a release;especially of a British composer!
I have to say the poor sound quality of off-air recordings I have heard of Ruth Gipps' music,have put me off! I wonder what composer she most resembles? I have read comparisons with Vaughan Williams! What is the release date,by the way. I'm unable to look at the MDT site at the moment (see above!! :().

--- End quote ---

7th September according to the MDT website. I very much doubt that you would regret investing in the CD:
https://www.mdt.co.uk/gipps-ruth-symphonies-rumon-gamba-chandos-records.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version