Ruth Gipps (1921-99)

Started by Maestro267, July 21, 2018, 07:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 24, 2018, 11:38:32 AM

Anything offered up in the past by Bostock on Classico is almost certain to sound weaker than it actually is.

I would like to disagree with that. Bostock is a highly competent conductor, who is not in the habit of making the works he conducts weaker than they actually are. All works in that box are highly valued by me.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2018, 10:46:00 PM
No 4 is the greater work I think Kyle.

I look forward to hearing it, then! Re. Symphony 2, there is one part I really like, about 3/4 of the way through - a delightful march-like section with a prominent snare drum.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on July 24, 2018, 02:37:02 PM
I look forward to hearing it, then! Re. Symphony 2, there is one part I really like, about 3/4 of the way through - a delightful march-like section with a prominent snare drum.

I find No. 2 very endearing but think No. 4 is perhaps the greater work. I shall greatly look forward to hearing them both on the new release. In the meantime I must look out my ClassicO CD of Symphony 2.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: "Harry" on July 24, 2018, 01:34:21 PM
I would like to disagree with that. Bostock is a highly competent conductor, who is not in the habit of making the works he conducts weaker than they actually are. All works in that box are highly valued by me.

I was given the Classico box (The British Symphonic Collection) as a Christmas present and found it mostly enjoyable. The only real dud performance-wise is RVW's Job. I can't say I enjoyed the Gregson-Hoddinott-McCabe disc but that is down to the music not the performance. I have better recordings of the Bax, Arnold and Holst but the rest of the box has some interesting rarities, all generally well-played. I will have to give the Gipps another spin soon.

Oates

Quote from: relm1 on July 24, 2018, 06:41:12 AM
I think you should write them a letter telling them so.  This will put a bug in their ear to do more like this since these things can be scheduled out for years.  Here is their address:
Chandos House
1 Commerce Park
Commerce Way
Colchester
Essex
CO2 8HX
United Kingdom

or email them here:
https://www.chandos.net/contactus

And so I did - and they have replied saying:

"Discoveries of this nature is what Chandos is known for and we intend to keep it going."

Very encouraging I think, but I expect sales will also figure.

vandermolen

Quote from: Oates on July 25, 2018, 03:38:30 AM
And so I did - and they have replied saying:

"Discoveries of this nature is what Chandos is known for and we intend to keep it going."

Very encouraging I think, but I expect sales will also figure.

And good for you for contacting them. I suspect that the release will attract considerable interest in view of the melodic and approachable nature of her music.

On a separate note, which I may have mentioned before, your Carnforth location brings back happy memories for me of my student days at Lancaster University in the 1970s.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Oates

Quote from: vandermolen on July 25, 2018, 04:12:35 AM
And good for you for contacting them. I suspect that the release will attract considerable interest in view of the melodic and approachable nature of her music.

On a separate note, which I may have mentioned before, your Carnforth location brings back happy memories for me of my student days at Lancaster University in the 1970s.

Interesting. The University was famous for its rock concerts - you didn't see The Who play there in 1970 did you?

Roasted Swan

Quote from: "Harry" on July 24, 2018, 01:34:21 PM

the dread word "competent" - how many competents = 1 inspired/visionary/charismatic......?

Take those Brit Music recordings:
RVW -Job - Much better in just about any other version
Bax 6 - much better in any other version (ditto Tintagel)
Holst - surpassed by more recent/better versions
Elgar - all dull - including the RLPO mixed discs with an Enigma/In the South
Arnold - lacking flair

Part of the problem - the Elgar/Bax/Holst/RVW is the calibre of the orchestra and the engineering - neither anywhere near top drawer.   The Delius in Norway disc is better just because it is the RLPO but they can't save his Nielsen cycle from the sense of adequate and not inspired.

which leaves the discs without comparable versions

Oates

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 25, 2018, 05:31:23 AM
the dread word "competent" - how many competents = 1 inspired/visionary/charismatic......?

Take those Brit Music recordings:
RVW -Job - Much better in just about any other version
Bax 6 - much better in any other version (ditto Tintagel)
Holst - surpassed by more recent/better versions
Elgar - all dull - including the RLPO mixed discs with an Enigma/In the South
Arnold - lacking flair

Part of the problem - the Elgar/Bax/Holst/RVW is the calibre of the orchestra and the engineering - neither anywhere near top drawer.   The Delius in Norway disc is better just because it is the RLPO but they can't save his Nielsen cycle from the sense of adequate and not inspired.

which leaves the discs without comparable versions

Your last point is the key thing for me - the value of the Bostock CDs was the rarity of much of the content (at the time of release). Why he had to retread Job, I can't imagine. So I value the Gipps CD simply because it's all there is.

Incidentally, am I the only person to find the track divisions on the Gipps symphony clumsy and overdone?

Biffo

Quote from: Oates on July 25, 2018, 05:55:05 AM
Your last point is the key thing for me - the value of the Bostock CDs was the rarity of much of the content (at the time of release). Why he had to retread Job, I can't imagine. So I value the Gipps CD simply because it's all there is.

Incidentally, am I the only person to find the track divisions on the Gipps symphony clumsy and overdone?

I think the Gipps is rather episodic (still enjoyable) but dividing it into 11 tracks seems a bit excessive. Having said that, I just let it play without paying much attention to the track numbers. I am sure I will be buying the new release when it is available.

I enjoyed most of the rarities but not sure how often I will revisit them.

Harry

Why a lot of people are butchering the conductor Bostock is beyond me. I am not a novice in classical music, and score reading is second nature to me. I have been for quite some time in the recording business, recording classical music of many different ensembles, so this rant against Bostock is completely incomprehensible to me. From a pure technical standpoint the recordings in this British Symphony box are outstanding, and I might add that although one may not like his interpretations, in a musical sense there are no faults, other as I see often with other conductors too. For me this guy has a inert sense of the right proportions and tempi, as well as a good head for detail. If you don't like him, that's one thing, but do not discredit or compromise his stature as a conductor of standing.

vandermolen

Quote from: Oates on July 25, 2018, 04:59:47 AM
Interesting. The University was famous for its rock concerts - you didn't see The Who play there in 1970 did you?
A bit before my time there (1973-76). I sat my finals during the infamous heatwave of 1976, which has been in the news a lot recently!

vandermolen

I don't have a problem with Bostock and especially like the Novak recordings. As for the box set, which I also have, I liked the Arnold disc (especially for the shorter work but the Symphony 5 as well) and the Gipps/Butterworth one in particular. Also interesting to hear a German orchestra do Bax. I actually don't like the symphony that much. As for VW Bostock includes the orchestral version of the Variations for Brass Band which is a bonus point for me. Don't like the Cowen but Bush's 'Nottingham' Symphony is excellent.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2018, 10:47:38 PM
A bit like Vaughan Williams/Malcolm Arnold also Sibelius  and maybe Moeran in places I think Cesar but with her own distinct, tuneful, tonal and melodic style.

Here is an earlier performance of Symphony 4 which, if it works, will give you an idea of her style:

https://youtu.be/JYCoZP6p0tY

Have just listened to it through again myself. The recording on You Tube is not that great but the performance (John Pritchard with the BBC SO I think) is fine. There is a lovely, sad, heroic tune which first appears about 22 minutes in (a bit like a warmer-hearted 'Swan of Tuonela') if you want to hear just a sample but it returns at the end, with harp accompaniment, and builds up to a fine, moving, inspiriting ending - at times I was even reminded of Tubin. Certainly I can't wait to hear the new release from Chandos.

Many thanks for your nice response! It is right up my alley, her music sounds not less than attractive.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: "Harry" on July 25, 2018, 06:34:28 AM
For me this guy has a inert sense of the right proportions and tempi,

Fair enough Harry - we'll agree to disagree - I'll let your typo above have the last word as to my feelings!

Was doing some evening listening to test my theory.  A work I don't know well at all - Jacob's Symphony No.2;  Listened to Bostock/Munich and then Wordsworth/Lyrita/LPO.  Chalk and Cheese.  Nothing explicitly "wrong" with the Bostock but nothing that commanding of one's attention either.  Wordsworth/LPO different league.  Just try the 2nd movement - *molto* allegro.  Bostock neat and nice and dainty.  Wordsworth fiery and dangerous. I know which very compels me to listen more attentively and makes me think this could be a rather good piece.....

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 25, 2018, 11:08:31 AM
Many thanks for your nice response! It is right up my alley, her music sounds not less than attractive.

Pleased to hear that Cesar - I suspected that you would enjoy her music.
:)

Harry

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 25, 2018, 12:19:25 PM
Fair enough Harry - we'll agree to disagree - I'll let your typo above have the last word as to my feelings!

Thank you for the complimentary answer, next time you write in Dutch, I will return the favour in kind. :)

cilgwyn

What do you think of the Arthur Butterworth symphony,that's paired with the Ruth Gipps symphony,vandermolen? Just wondering! ::) ;D I know it's A Ruth Gipps column,but I'll be listening to it if I buy the cd! I didn't buy the Lyrita cd of Brian's Symphonies 6 & 16,because of the Cooke! (I paid for downloads of 6 & 16,instead!).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 26, 2018, 03:15:14 AM
What do you think of the Arthur Butterworth symphony,that's paired with the Ruth Gipps symphony,vandermolen? Just wondering! ::) ;D I know it's A Ruth Gipps column,but I'll be listening to it if I buy the cd! I didn't buy the Lyrita cd of Brian's Symphonies 6 & 16,because of the Cooke! (I paid for downloads of 6 & 16,instead!).
Actually I like the Cooke Symphony 3 very much so that was a bonus for me on the Lyrita HB disc. When I first heard Arthur Butterworth's 1st Symphony on ClassicO I didn't think much of it at all and only listened thereafter to the Ruth Gipps Symphony 2 which I liked very much. I might never have bought any more Arthur Butterworh had a music-loving friend not spoken very highly of the Dutton CD featuring Arthur Butterworth's Symphony 4 - which was a revelation to me! I thought it was a wonderful work, albeit derivative at times of Sibelius (he seems to quote directly from 'The Tempest' at one point). It held my attention and I became increasingly gripped by it. The powerful ending had me on the edge of my seat. Also included in the two CD set was Butterworth's 1st Symphony, which I appreciated much more than on first acquaintance. Butterworth's Symphony 4 remains my favourite but I now enjoy his First Symphony. Rather a long-winded answer! Now back to David Munrow's music for the film 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII' (Testament CD).

Biffo

There is a recording of Butterworth's Symphony No 1 from Barbirolli and the Halle (of which Butterworth was a member). It is in mono and I only have it as a mp3 download but it is considerably more dramatic than Bostock's performance. I am not sure if it is still available and can't remember where I got it from except that I bought it coupled with Barbirolli conducting RVW4.