Ruth Gipps (1921-99)

Started by Maestro267, July 21, 2018, 07:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oates

I can't find the source, but I always thought "cow-pat" came from Lutyens and "cow over a gate" from Lambert or Warlock.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/arts/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/cowpat-music

vandermolen

There's also a description by someone, not sure whom, of 'A Pastoral Symphony' as depicting 'VW rolling over and over in a ploughed field on a wet day'. I have to admit that I rather like that one.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

The Lutyens biography I mentioned also ascribes the phrase to her and 'folky-woky melodies on the cor anglais', also mentioned in the link you gave. You are also right about Peter Warlock and the Pastoral Symphony. Hugh Allen described the latter as '... VW rolling over and over in a ploughed field on a wet day'

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 12, 2018, 03:00:03 AM
There's also a description by someone, not sure whom, of 'A Pastoral Symphony' as depicting 'VW rolling over and over in a ploughed field on a wet day'. I have to admit that I rather like that one.

We posted simultaneously!

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Turned on Radio 3 this morning and thought 'what's this interesting sounding music?'

It turned out to be 'Knight in Armour' by Ruth Gipps. Obviously the new CD has generated interest in her which is great and as it should be.

Christo

Finally arrived: the new Ruth Gipps, BBC National orchestra of Wales, Rumon Gamba, Symphony No. 4, Knight in armour, Symphony No. 2, Song for Orchestra.

First listening was sensational, great performances. The start with the Fourth Symphony is overwhelmingly beautiful, but that goes for the whole cd. So please, more Gipps! She's defintely a fine composer with a very dinstinctive voice of her own.

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 19, 2018, 10:13:59 PM
Finally arrived: the new Ruth Gipps, BBC National orchestra of Wales, Rumon Gamba, Symphony No. 4, Knight in armour, Symphony No. 2, Song for Orchestra.

First listening was sensational, great performances. The start with the Fourth Symphony is overwhelmingly beautiful, but that goes for the whole cd. So please, more Gipps! She's defintely a fine composer with a very dinstinctive voice of her own.

Totally agree. I've twice turned on the radio recently and heard extracts from the Chandos CD being played, so it's obviously making quite an impression here. 'Knight in Armour' I didn't recognise and stayed tuned in to find out what the piece was. I agree that she does have a distinctive and very appealing voice. The performance of Symphony 2 is more urgent than the old one on ClassicO but all credit to Douglas Bostock for recording it in the first place.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 19, 2018, 10:46:15 PM
Totally agree. I've twice turned on the radio recently and heard extracts from the Chandos CD being played, so it's obviously making quite an impression here. 'Knight in Armour' I didn't recognise and stayed tuned in to find out what the piece was. I agree that she does have a distinctive and very appealing voice. The performance of Symphony 2 is more urgent than the old one on ClassicO but all credit to Douglas Bostock for recording it in the first place.

I seem to be the only one to prefer Bostock to Gamba in Symphony No 2. The Chandos album is excellent and there is not really much in it performance-wise for No 2 just find Bostock more incisive. I listened to the Song for Orchestra last night, somehow I have overlooked it. When I first downloaded the album I listened to Knight in Armour first (listening to it again now) followed by Symphony No 2 (and Bostock for comparison).

kyjo

Listened to the 4th Symphony from the new Chandos CD yesterday and was quite impressed. Gipps very much has a language of her own, sometimes elusive but always accessible and colorful with unique touches in the orchestration. Her writing for woodwinds is especially ear-catching, which makes sense as she was an oboist herself. I certainly hope Chandos goes on to record more of her music!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

JBS

Quote from: kyjo on September 21, 2018, 12:47:09 PM
Listened to the 4th Symphony from the new Chandos CD yesterday and was quite impressed. Gipps very much has a language of her own, sometimes elusive but always accessible and colorful with unique touches in the orchestration. Her writing for woodwinds is especially ear-catching, which makes sense as she was an oboist herself. I certainly hope Chandos goes on to record more of her music!

Yes, yes. I played the CD for the first time last night and it was obvious why so many people here like it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SymphonicAddict

I hope to remedy my postponed listen this weekend.

SymphonicAddict

Having listened to the Gipps CD, my impressions suggest this release was utterly successful, the renditions are just impressive, so is the great sound engineering. The works I liked the most were the symphonies. The No. 2 has nice melodies and a curious, rather unconventional shape. I didn't feel it discursive as others point out. There are some slight ideas from VW I heard in places. Possibly I found this symphony a little better than the 4th.

On the other hand, the 4th displays a quite tender and subdued use of the woodwinds without being too incisive. The 2nd movement was particularly charming. The way she used the orchestra stands out as well, all is well proportioned.

As others mention, her voice as a composer is clear. I really liked all what there is on this CD, and I hope will not be the last one in the future.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 26, 2018, 02:02:15 PM
Having listened to the Gipps CD, my impressions suggest this release was utterly successful, the renditions are just impressive, so is the great sound engineering. The works I liked the most were the symphonies. The No. 2 has nice melodies and a curious, rather unconventional shape. I didn't feel it discursive as others point out. There are some slight ideas from VW I heard in places. Possibly I found this symphony a little better than the 4th.

On the other hand, the 4th displays a quite tender and subdued use of the woodwinds without being too incisive. The 2nd movement was particularly charming. The way she used the orchestra stands out as well, all is well proportioned.

As others mention, her voice as a composer is clear. I really liked all what there is on this CD, and I hope will not be the last one in the future.

Glad you enjoyed it Cesar. I liked every work on the CD. Twice recently I turned on the radio to hear the BBC playing extracts from the CD 'Knight in Armour' and scherzo from Symphony 4, so it is clearly attracting considerable interest.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 26, 2018, 10:29:35 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Cesar. I liked every work on the CD. Twice recently I turned on the radio to hear the BBC playing extracts from the CD 'Knight in Armour' and scherzo from Symphony 4, so it is clearly attracting considerable interest.

A good symptom!

Record labels, pay attention to this for further releases :D

cilgwyn

I listened to the Chandos Ruth Gipps cd,again,last night,after leaving it on the shelf (in a box,actually!) for a while. I often find that really is the deciding factor with a new cd,of some neglected work or composer. Sometimes there is that rush of blood to the head?! Although,I was pretty sure my first impressions were correct this time around. Anyway,I put on the Fourth Symphony. Wow! I love the way this symphony opens. It really draws you into it's world. It really is quite magical. The whole symphony feels so well thought out,from start to finish. Not a note too long. And some of the most beautiful orchestration I've heard in a British symphony. I don't often cry when I listen to music;but I could feel tears pricking at the corners of my eyes at one point,in the final movement. I think it's near the beginning. I'm no musician;but it's the sounds of harps,I think? The slow movement is stunning. And the final few minutes really are quite thrilling. I can hear it in my head now! Quite exciting! I stopped playing the cd a little later. Not because the other pieces weren't good;but because I just had to think about what I'd heard,and savour it in my head! Reading about Ruth Gipps' frustration at not being able to get performances of her music was another factor. Fashion?!! Huh!! ::) It must have been awful,for her?! But this music can really stand on it's own merits.

Christo

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 06, 2019, 02:57:33 AMI don't often cry when I listen to music;but I could feel tears pricking at the corners of my eyes at one point,in the final movement.
Somebody here* described her music as 'unemotional' and I was flabbergasted and couldn't respond: both her Second and Fourth Symphonies are among the most emotionally moving that I know and I remember shedding tears on listening to the Second, a couple of years ago. Great to learn about your response.

*Edit: I think it was the Hurwitzer - who sometimes doesn't take time to listen before he gives his final verdict.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

cilgwyn

The only good thing about the Hurwitz is the number of times I've discovered a composer I enjoy after reading a review rubbishing his (or her?) music (ie,"Right! I'm going to buy it,now!!! >:( ;D)

vandermolen

I find her symphonies 2 and 4 emotionally moving. I love the celebratory ending of No.2 which, it has been suggested, denotes her happiness at the safe return of her husband from World War Two.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 09, 2019, 08:27:22 AM
The only good thing about the Hurwitz is the number of times I've discovered a composer I enjoy after reading a review rubbishing his (or her?) music (ie,"Right! I'm going to buy it,now!!! >:( ;D)

The first, and last, review by Hurwitz that I read tried to rubbish both Jascha Horenstein and Robert Simpson (unsuccessfully)!  >:(
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton