Ruth Gipps (1921-99)

Started by Maestro267, July 21, 2018, 07:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oates

Quote from: Roasted Swan on December 10, 2019, 01:08:10 AM
The Gipps is the stand-out work on this disc - the Bright is interesting and well crafted but not amazing.  Also, although the Gipps is NOT a premiere recording this version is infinitely better than the earlier performance on Cameo Classics which suffers from a sub-fusc orchestra and so so recording - although the actual solo piano playing is good.

It is worth pointing out that there is a Gipps premiere recording here in the shape of the 8 minute orchestral piece Ambarvalia, though you wouldn't know it from the front cover.

Oates

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sxzh

BBC Radio 3 Composer of the Week this week. Looks like there will be a fair chunk of Gipps' pieces that are not available on CD getting a long overdue airing.

Roy Bland

We are still waiting Chandos vol II

Oates

Yes, the Chandos recording of Symphony No.3 (with Rumon Gamba) was broadcast yesterday but no sign of it on CD.

vandermolen

Quote from: Oates on March 09, 2021, 02:44:20 AM
Yes, the Chandos recording of Symphony No.3 (with Rumon Gamba) was broadcast yesterday but no sign of it on CD.

What was it like? I like symphonies 2 and 4 very much indeed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Oates

Quote from: vandermolen on March 09, 2021, 02:57:38 AM
What was it like? I like symphonies 2 and 4 very much indeed.

I think it equally as good as the 2 and 4, with a lovely and moving slow movement. They are repeating bits of the 3rd Symphony on the Composer of the Week slot that is currently playing - I'm recording it as I'm supposed to be 'at work'.

vandermolen

Quote from: Oates on March 10, 2021, 03:21:01 AM
I think it equally as good as the 2 and 4, with a lovely and moving slow movement. They are repeating bits of the 3rd Symphony on the Composer of the Week slot that is currently playing - I'm recording it as I'm supposed to be 'at work'.
Thanks!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: Oates on March 09, 2021, 02:44:20 AM

Chandos recording? I can't find any trace of it in any format. I have the Chandos recording of No 2 & 4 from Gamba. I can only find No 3 on You Tube. Perhaps I need to check what was played on R3 on the BBC iPlayer.

Maestro267

I remember hearing that performance of Sym 3 live (can't remember if it was last year or 2019 now), and assuming that it would eventually be released on Chandos given it's the same orchestra and conductor that released Nos. 2 & 4. Obviously it hasn't happened yet, but these things often take time even when we're not in a global pandemic.

Biffo

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 10, 2021, 04:24:32 AM
I remember hearing that performance of Sym 3 live (can't remember if it was last year or 2019 now), and assuming that it would eventually be released on Chandos given it's the same orchestra and conductor that released Nos. 2 & 4. Obviously it hasn't happened yet, but these things often take time even when we're not in a global pandemic.

OK, thanks. For some reason I can't get R3 on iPlayer at the moment, will try again later.

Oates

Quote from: Biffo on March 10, 2021, 03:57:49 AM
Chandos recording? I can't find any trace of it in any format. I have the Chandos recording of No 2 & 4 from Gamba. I can only find No 3 on You Tube. Perhaps I need to check what was played on R3 on the BBC iPlayer.

It was credited as a Chandos recording - looks like BBC had rights to use it first. Yesterday we had Cringlemire Garden (South West German Chamber Orchestra
Douglas Bostock, conductor) which the announcer did say was forthcoming on CD.

I must admit my favourite piece so far has been Jane Grey Fantasy Op 15 (Scott Dickinson, viola, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Teresa Riveiro Böhm, conductor) which is very much in Lark Ascending territory. I hope this gets a CD release at some stage.

Oates

Quote from: Biffo on March 10, 2021, 03:57:49 AM

BBC Sounds webpage says the Chandos release of this is on CD CHAN 20161.

Biffo

Quote from: Oates on March 11, 2021, 12:38:55 AM
BBC Sounds webpage says the Chandos release of this is on CD CHAN 20161.

I can't find this number on the Chandos website

vandermolen

There is an interesting feature on Ruth Gipps in the new edition (August 2021) of BBC Music Magazine.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 12, 2021, 09:55:49 PM
There is an interesting feature on Ruth Gipps in the new edition (August 2021) of BBC Music Magazine.

Thanks. I will ask my wife to get me a copy.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on July 12, 2021, 09:55:49 PM

Unfortunately I cannot order this magazine anymore, a measure closely related to the Brexit.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Oates

I have been very impressed with this new collection of previously unrecorded chamber music from Ruth Gipps:

https://www.somm-recordings.com/recording/dedication-the-clarinet-chamber-music-of-ruth-gipps/

Its good to see the catalogues slowly filling with her work. There are some very beautiful and substantial works on this one.

vandermolen

Quote from: Oates on September 27, 2021, 05:52:34 AM
I have been very impressed with this new collection of previously unrecorded chamber music from Ruth Gipps:

https://www.somm-recordings.com/recording/dedication-the-clarinet-chamber-music-of-ruth-gipps/

Its good to see the catalogues slowly filling with her work. There are some very beautiful and substantial works on this one.
Looks most enticing - she was a fine composer.

Roy Bland

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on October 25, 2021, 08:50:25 PM
Mazeppa premiere

https://berksweekly.com/arts-entertainment/through-music-berks-sinfonietta-celebrates-the-struggle-for-equality/
Most interesting! I'd love to hear it. Thanks for posting.  :)
I'm aware of the Mazeppa painting by Géricault.