Schumann solo piano music

Started by Sean, August 22, 2007, 07:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turner

OK, problem solved, via downloading the accompanying liner notes as a PDF file, 185 pages.

In the CD box itself, a CD cover contains an error; it omits that in CD 12, Track no.4 is the Arabeske, and of course not a 4th track of the "3 Romanzen op.28" as listed.
In the small booklet of the CD box, the Arabeske op.18 is indeed listed as track 4 on CD 12, but it is not highlighted like it should.

The Geister Variations (1854) are likewise on CD 12, just called Variations there.

snyprrr

I remember getting some Schumann PM from the library, whoever the famous Schumann pianist (K??), and, mm, yea, either the wrong piece or what,...

Besides the Cello Concerto, I don't know if I can handle Schumann,... but let's stay with the PM...

some reviewer said, after a while, Schumann PM seems to all be "variations on...LOUD"... banging, crescendos, chords,... says Schumann's butt would be in the air most of the time...

compared to Chopin???... whom I am now enjoying (enough)

What's the pearls before swine with Schumann? please 0:)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: snyprrr on June 08, 2018, 03:17:01 PM
I remember getting some Schumann PM from the library, whoever the famous Schumann pianist (K??), and, mm, yea, either the wrong piece or what,...

Besides the Cello Concerto, I don't know if I can handle Schumann,... but let's stay with the PM...

some reviewer said, after a while, Schumann PM seems to all be "variations on...LOUD"... banging, crescendos, chords,... says Schumann's butt would be in the air most of the time...

compared to Chopin???... whom I am now enjoying (enough)

What's the pearls before swine with Schumann? please 0:)
You mean Kempff? Famous Schumann pianist?
Anyway I am kind of with you, I don't really "get" Schumann's solo piano music either. Maybe some day I will.

j winter

I've listened to Schumann's piano music off and on for years, and while I liked it, it was never a big favorite for me.  For whatever reason, over the past few weeks it's really started to "click," and this past weekend I listened to little else.  Better late than never, I suppose  :)

Digging through my library, it turns out I have more Schumann than I thought I did, much of it tucked away in various box sets.  Listed below is what I think is my entire collection of Schumann solo piano recordings (barring I'm sure a few CD couplings here and there that I've yet to track down)...

I think I have more than enough to enjoy for quite a while, but if I were to add a few more items to my shelves, which of your favorite recordings am I missing?

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

San Antone

Quote from: j winter on March 09, 2020, 07:07:47 AM
I've listened to Schumann's piano music off and on for years, and while I liked it, it was never a big favorite for me.  For whatever reason, over the past few weeks it's really started to "click," and this past weekend I listened to little else.  Better late than never, I suppose  :)

Digging through my library, it turns out I have more Schumann than I thought I did, much of it tucked away in various box sets.  Listed below is what I think is my entire collection of Schumann solo piano recordings (barring I'm sure a few CD couplings here and there that I've yet to track down)...

I think I have more than enough to enjoy for quite a while, but if I were to add a few more items to my shelves, which of your favorite recordings am I missing?

SonicMan46

Hi JWinter - I go through my Schumann piano collection periodically and have been culling and adding for years - pictured below are the 6 performers I own at the moment, from single CDs to the 13 disc Le Sage box - quoted at the bottom is simply a listing of the works from the recordings w/ symbols marking the performances and showing the MANY duplications - for me Schumann's solo piano has always been problematic.

NOW, San Antone just showed a box set w/ Dana Ciocarlie, which he and André lauded a few days ago in another thread - since these were 'live' performances, I left a question about audience noise (i.e. coughs, applause, etc.) - hope someone will answer the query (just me, but dislike a lot of audience participation unless I'm at a concert).  Dave :)

QuoteSchumann Piano Works (solo)

Albumblatter, Op.124@
Arabeske, Op.18*^
Blumenstuck. Op.19*@
Bunte Blatter, Op.99#@
Carnaval, Op.9^@
Davidsbundlertanze, Op.6@
Drei Clavier-Sonaten...Jugend, Op.118a-c@
Drei Phantasiestucke, Op.111@
Drei Romanzen, Op.28*@
Etudes Paganini Caprices, Op.3 & 10@
Etudes Symphoniques, Op.13@
Fantasie, Op.17+@
Fantasiestuche, Op.12#@
Faschingsschwank,Op.26+@
Fur die Jugend, Op.68@
Gesange der Fruhe, Op.133#@
Humoreske, Op.20*@
Intermizzi, Op.4@
Kinderszenen, Op.15*^$@
Kreisleriana, Op.16+#$@
Nachtstucke, Op.23*#@
Novelletten, Op.21*@
Papillons, Op.2^@
Sieben Fuguetten, Op.126@
Sonatas+@
Vier Klavierstucke, Op.32@
Vier Fugen, Op.72@
Waldscenen, Op.82@

*Kuijken,Piet on fortepiano - Fug562 - 2 CDs
+Wurtz,Klara - Brilliant (99791) - 3 CDs
#Cabasso, Laurent - Naive (1004) - 2 CDs
^Freire, Nelson - Decca (473 902-2)
$Argerich, Martha - DG (410 653-2)
@Le Sage, Eric - Alpha 813 - 13 CDs (most above)

JBS

Of the pianists who recorded Schumann for Brilliant, I think the best is  Wolfram Schmitt-Leonardy.

Pricing for a physical copy is downright ridiculous on Amazon US, but Amazon download price is only $6.99
As a physical CD, this single is available used rather cheaply

The full Brilliant box (including Wurtz) is here.
[asin]B002VZ2MQC[/asin]

There's another issue of the set with a different cover, but it's another one of those things Amazon thinks is worth almost $1000.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

George

My favorite solo piano Schumann performances are by Richter and Cortot. And Natan Brand.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Florestan

This complete set is usually overlooked, if known at all and it's a pity because it's at least as good as Demus'. Unfortunately it appears to be OOP.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

San Antone

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 09, 2020, 08:19:24 AM
NOW, San Antone just showed a box set w/ Dana Ciocarlie, which he and André lauded a few days ago in another thread - since these were 'live' performances, I left a question about audience noise (i.e. coughs, applause, etc.) - hope someone will answer the query (just me, but dislike a lot of audience participation unless I'm at a concert).  Dave :)

If the cover had not said these were live performances I would not know.  No audience sound of any kind, at least for the parts I've listened to.

Daverz

I really like this set

[asin]B00004Z34M[/asin]

I got it from a friend who upgraded to this box:

[asin]B00151HZ42[/asin]

j winter

Thanks to all for the suggestions  :) 

I think I'm standing pat for now, until I get more familiar with what I've got, but I'm definitely compiling a wishlist.

Regarding Wilhelm Kempff...   Is his later stereo set notably different than the mono set above (other than covering more works and presumably being in better sound)? 

Regarding Richter... there are so many options out there.  Any favorites beyond the EMI above?  Preferably something that wasn't recorded on wax cylinders under somebody's overcoat in a bathroom in 1952....  ;D
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

George

Iota

Quote from: Daverz on March 09, 2020, 02:58:48 PM
I really like this set

[asin]B00004Z34M[/asin]

That makes at least two of us. Though I'd add another 'really'. If not two.

Schumann's piano music is about as truthful as music gets for me, and I don't think there's any music I feel closer too. The world's been blessed by many fine players, Richter, Egorov, Kempff, Argerich etc .. the list is long. And I can't ever remember hearing a performance that I really took against (Pletnev when I'm not in the mood perhaps, but when I am, wow), but anyway look forward to exploring a few names above I've not yet heard.

Jo498

This looks quite comprehensive, j winter, probably listen first to all this before you get more ;) (I should do the same myself :D)

+1 to Richter Waldszenen etc. There is also a newer issue and the sound is mostly very good studio mono from the late 1950s.
+1 to Egorov as well. Bunte Blätter is not that well covered on disc, but there is also a Richter recording on Altus/Regis (I think)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Re Richter's Schumann, he explored quite a lot of Schumann in the final part of his career, after his heart trouble. That's when his piano playing is  interesting for me. There's a recording of the op 23 Nachtstucke here which I like a lot. He digs deep, as it were, it's probing.

In his day his Schumann was really well received, and he played all the big war horses, including the Fantasy Op 17. For me, it's once again the late recordings which matter most, because what's striking in those performances, is the depth of feeling rather than the technique. There's only one late op 17 I know and I like it very much, here

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2020, 01:38:03 PM
Re Richter's Schumann, he explored quite a lot of Schumann in the final part of his career, after his heart trouble.

If you have heart troubles stick with Schumann, no more Schubert. Doctor's orders.l

George

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2020, 01:38:03 PM
Re Richter's Schumann, he explored quite a lot of Schumann in the final part of his career, after his heart trouble. That's when his piano playing is  interesting for me. There's a recording of the op 23 Nachtstucke here which I like a lot. He digs deep, as it were, it's probing.

I have this set, which contains performances from 8th July 1986 in Odd Fellow Palæet, Copenhagen, the same year as the CD above. I'll give it a spin soon, it's been awhile.

Mandryka

Quote from: George on March 10, 2020, 04:41:47 PM
I have this set, which contains performances from 8th July 1986 in Odd Fellow Palæet, Copenhagen, the same year as the CD above. I'll give it a spin soon, it's been awhile.

I just found a crazy turbulent Nachtstucke from Natan Brand, bad sound.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Holden

To me, the greatest performance of a Schumann piano work - and he did it twice. The amazing and not that well known Sergio Fiorentino.

This one on December 14 1992 which is a studio recording from Berlin

And there's this recorded live in Germany almost exactly a year later December 12 1993 in Paderborn

I feel that the live recording slightly shades the studio but it's very close.

The Studio recording is available on Spotify.
Cheers

Holden