Schumann solo piano music

Started by Sean, August 22, 2007, 07:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j winter

Quote from: Jo498 on March 10, 2020, 12:41:12 PM
This looks quite comprehensive, j winter, probably listen first to all this before you get more ;) (I should do the same myself :D )

Sound advice  $:)   I am definitely keeping a list for later, though.... thanks to all for the suggestions!

Quote from: Daverz on March 09, 2020, 02:58:48 PM
I really like this set

I got it from a friend who upgraded to this box:

That said, I am seriously contemplating pulling the trigger on the above bargain box.  Looks like lots of good stuff in there besides the Schumann...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Jo498

I also "upgraded" to the larger Egorov Box after having owned the twofer before, but this was many years ago. But for me the Schumann recordings remained the most important/impressive from the box.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ratliff

My latest Schumann obsession is Papillons, and I just listened to Erogov's recording. Splendid, just wonderful.

Mandryka

The Nachtstucke here is really really outstanding.

If I remember correctly it was part of his first Schumann CD, made before the Alpha project was started, but later incorporated into Alpha. It also had Fantasiestucke, Kinderszenen and Gesänge der Frühe. I can't find an image of the original CD

Anyway, this is an extraordinary performance.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Jo498

I don't know if the older recordings were included in the Alpha set, or some of them, but here is the double with the 1996 and 2001 recordings on RCA

ASIN: B0000AK0DS

[asin]B0000AK0DS[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

The timings for the old one are

I'm not sure if he remade it for the complete set.

Jo498

I can't compare because I only have the disc I linked to, not the Alpha set.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

Quote from: Mandryka on March 11, 2020, 02:36:27 PM
The timings for the old one are

I'm not sure if he remade it for the complete set.
Exact match with the Alpha apart from more silence in the last track.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: North Star on March 12, 2020, 10:01:22 AM
Exact match with the Alpha apart from more silence in the last track.

Any thoughts on why he recorded it twice? They seem very similar to me.

North Star

Quote from: Mandryka on March 12, 2020, 10:25:29 AM
Any thoughts on why he recorded it twice? They seem very similar to me.
Contractual reasons spring to mind, or maybe Le Sage just wanted to record the piece again even if his interpretation hadn't changed over time, for the sake of unity or whatever.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Holden

Quote from: j winter on March 11, 2020, 07:58:21 AM
Sound advice  $:)   I am definitely keeping a list for later, though.... thanks to all for the suggestions!

That said, I am seriously contemplating pulling the trigger on the above bargain box.  Looks like lots of good stuff in there besides the Schumann...

I own it and highly recommend it.
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Gregorio Nardi looks like he could be an interesting piano player. He records on a real obscure label, Phoenix Classics, but it's on Spotify. He's partly interesting because of the repertoire - early drafts of music, unpublished music, fragments etc. But somehow these seem to be assembled into attractive programme CDs - the one that's caught my attention is called Papillotten.

I discovered him because a string quartet which interests me - The 3G String Quartet (they have recorded Klaus Huber) - said on their webpage that they are recording Schumann with him for a platform called Limenmusic. I haven't looked into this yet.

Well worth checking out I'd say if you have Spotify - he doesn't seem to be on Qobuz.

Mandryka

It's interesting that Samuel Feinberg, the most mystical of pianists, should have chosen to record the album for the young. Does he make anything magical, mystical, out of it?

I think he does actually. Try it if you don't trust me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg7_1roqBng

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on October 23, 2022, 01:43:55 PM
It's interesting that Samuel Feinberg, the most mystical of pianists, should have chosen to record the album for the young. Does he make anything magical, mystical, out of it?

I think he does actually. Try it if you don't trust me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg7_1roqBng

There's more to Album for the Young than meets the ear. See this booklet:

https://d2vhizysjb6bpn.cloudfront.net/TOCC0522DIGIBKLT.pdf

TD: an exceptionally lively, fresh and youthful ABEGG-Variationen is to be found on the first CD of this set:

I can let you have it if interested.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Cziffra Schumann op 11 Besançon 1961 -- pretty good I'd say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alPh57OZfJQ&ab_channel=PianoJFAudioSheet

Mandryka

Mandryka

The Schumann Etudes. This is muscular playing which manages to be be rather fine and graceful. The piano has a certain steeliness, not unattractive. I don't know why Russian recordings have that quality sometimes, as if Steinway provided them with a certain style of Model Ds. Vedernikov deserves to be heard I think.

Mandryka

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mw_hnq5FvuU

Vitaly Margulis Kreisleriana. I mean anything from his has to be worth a shot. It's also here

https://open.spotify.com/track/0ZZkuh7iRr6dNdzGEQEigA

Atriod

Quote from: Ratliff on March 11, 2020, 09:03:19 AMMy latest Schumann obsession is Papillons, and I just listened to Erogov's recording. Splendid, just wonderful.

I recall really enjoying Kreisleriana from this disc which is also in the box someone posted above (also enjoyable, though a bit uneven) and sure enough it was fantastic. I've been reacquainting myself with all the recordings I own after a really great live performance. Listened to Herbert Schuch after and this was also good.

vers la flamme

I too really like that Youri Egorov EMI 2CD of Schumann.