Casa Cavalli

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, August 22, 2018, 01:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

Francesco Cavalli
(born Pietro Francesco Caletti-Bruni 14 February 1602 – 14 January 1676) was an Italian composer of the early Baroque period. He was known as Cavalli, the name of his patron, Venetian nobleman Federico Cavalli.

This chap needs a home. Shall we build it here?

Under The Radar: Cavalli's Should-I-Die-Before-I-Wake Requiem

GioCar

I believe this is the Missa pro defunctis per octo vocibus composed in 1675.
In that case I'm very glad there is a new recording of it - so glad that, to read more of your review, I subscribed to the Insider site (actually I've been thinking of it for quite a long time...).
I'm aware of another recording only, from the Tactus label

In my youth I was one of the octo vocum (1st bass) in a "a cappella" choir. We performed that Requiem even in St. Mark, in Venice...  8)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: GioCar on August 22, 2018, 10:13:09 AM
I believe this is the Missa pro defunctis per octo vocibus composed in 1675.
In that case I'm very glad there is a new recording of it - so glad that, to read more of your review, I subscribed to the Insider site (actually I've been thinking of it for quite a long time...).
I'm aware of another recording only, from the Tactus label

Wohooo! I absolutely love to hear you truly literally value our humble contributions. It is so gratifying, indeed. Thanks.

And yes, that's exactly the work it is. Alas, I hadn't been aware of the previous recording, I'm afraid.

Cheers & best,

Jens

GioCar

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on August 22, 2018, 12:49:17 PM
Wohooo! I absolutely love to hear you truly literally value our humble contributions. It is so gratifying, indeed. Thanks.

Actually after browsing the Insider site for a while I'm very happy of my subscription  :). It's not just a matter of reading the Insider articles, it's somehow a different (and better) site. But now I'm derailing...

Here's the Tactus recording of the Requiem

Re his sacred works, here's another recording I do like very much

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: GioCar on August 22, 2018, 10:27:03 PM
Actually after browsing the Insider site for a while I'm very happy of my subscription  :). It's not just a matter of reading the Insider articles, it's somehow a different (and better) site. But now I'm derailing...

Here's the Tactus recording of the Requiem

Re his sacred works, here's another recording I do like very much

I think the sound-samples add a bit of value, too... they're certainly a good deal of extra work to do. But then the internet basically screams for sound samples to accompany reviews - it makes so much sense and knowing that the listener can immediately check what you wrote against something tangible sort of holds your feet to the fire.

I must check out more sacred Cavalli, having hitherto only known his operas. (Interesting known them through live performances more than recordings; Dido & La Calisto, which is absurdly good.)

Biffo

The album 'Venetian Vespers' from Paul McCreesh and the Gabrieli Consort has a setting of Psalm 147 Lauda Jerusalem by Cavalli and that is all I know of his sacred music. He was (is?) better known as a composer of operas. I have 'La Calisto' conducted by Rene Jacobs (part of the Harmonia Mundi box of Baroque Opera). I think it gets off to a slow start but the later acts are very enjoyable.

It has been suggested that Cavalli and other Monteverdi pupils wrote part of L'incoronazione di Poppea. One booklet note goes as far as to describe the work as 'School of Monteverdi'. After listening to La Calisto I could believe Cavalli had a hand in parts of Poppea.