Dudamel's encore at the 2007 Proms

Started by bhodges, August 22, 2007, 01:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

This isn't YouTube, but a link to a blog called gtl torn t that has Gustavo Dudamel and the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra doing their encore at the Proms: the "Mambo" from Bernstein's Symphonic Dances from West Side Story.  The reports of the concert I've read have been raving, raving, raving, and I must say, this is pretty sensational.

http://gtltornt.wordpress.com/2007/08/22/venuezuela-triunfa-en-los-proms/

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Thanks for the link, Bruce.  Folks at the Gramophone forum who saw the concert have indeed been raving about it. Now I know what all the shouting is about. This is sensational. Dudamel and his orchestra will be in Frankfurt tomorrow....unfortunately it's sold out. Damn...

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Novi

Yes, thanks for that Bruce.

I saw them a few days earlier (same programme, I think) up at the Edinburgh Festival. It was amazing. They started with Shosta 10, an intense and violent performance, especially the second movement. They have over 200 players and the sheer power of their sound was astounding, so the odd horn blooper or two didn't matter. The soloists were quite brilliant too. The exuberance of the Bernstein and Latin American pieces after the interval worked well in conjunction with the raw and emotionally draining first half.

The encore (in fact, three encores) where they whipped on the Venezuelan jackets was all high jinks and sheer joy. I've never seen players enjoy themselves so much. In the clip, Dudamel looks like he's having as much fun as the kids. Up in the gods, I could only see his back, but you could certainly sense the symbiosis between conductor and orchestra just from hearing them together. Certainly a performance I won't forget. 
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

bhodges

Here is an interesting review on MusicWeb.  Here are the programs for their two concerts at Carnegie Hall:

Sunday, Nov. 11
Berlioz: Le Carnaval romain Overture 
Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Minor, Op. 21  (w/Emanuel Ax)
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5  
Latin American compositions and other works 

Monday, Nov. 12
Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra 
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 10 

--Bruce

knight66

Bit of an odd review Bruce. I can understand the points being made re the Shosta, but surely they do not as suggested play for, 'one of their peers'. Additionally,. although he acknowledges the power of music to transform, he leaves no room for it to transform beyond the stuffed shirt conventions of the usual concert experience, surely he is the one who is missing something.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

bhodges

That's sort of what I was wondering.  (But of course, I wasn't there.)  Other opinions have been more enthusiastic.  But I'll have the chance to experience the Shostakovich myself in a few months, so we'll see...

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 27, 2007, 05:21:44 AM
...unfortunately it's sold out. Damn...

Maybe they need an extra güiro-player, Sarge :-)