Norbert Moret (1921-1998)

Started by Ainsi la nuit, September 03, 2018, 02:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ainsi la nuit

Seems that the Swiss composer Nobert Moret hasn't been much discussed on this forum. I'm not surprised - he's definitely not 'on the surface' of the performing world, and tends to be almost completely unknown. I feel an affinity towards him and his music, even though I've only heard a few pieces!

People might now Moret through his violin concerto En rêve that was written for and has been championed by Anne-Sophie Mutter, who has also recorded it with the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Seiji Ozawa. It's a fun little piece, very colourful and strange. I love it very much, and it seems I'm pretty much the only one; a lot of critics haven't warmed up to the piece at all. Luckily I couldn't care less, and I eagerly await the day when someone else takes it up and brings another perspective to it!

There's also a cello concerto that none other than Mstislav Rostropovich recorded. It's a fascinating work as well, even though I slightly prefer the violin concerto. Still, if only someone else gave us their interpretation and brought it back to life...

One can also check out an organ concerto recording on Spotify, and an audio recording of a double concerto for violin and cello on YouTube. That's all of this music I've found and heard! But Moret has a very particular sound, and I'm very fond of it. I'm aware of further recordings, but haven't found any way to access them without going to Switzerland.

Does anyone else like this rather obscure composer?

pjme

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2004/July04/Moret_rsr6169.jpg

Norbert Moret was born in Fribourg where he completed his musical studies. From 1948 to 1950, he stayed in Paris and studied with Arthur Honegger, René Leibowitz and Olivier Messiaen. The latter's teaching had, so we are told, an important influence on Moret's musical development although you hardly notice it when listening to the music. In fact, while listening to his fine music, I more than once thought of Honegger and Bartok rather than of Messiaen. Moret did not come into prominence until he was fifty when his Germes en éveil was successfully performed during the Fête de l'Association des Musiciens Suisses. From then on, he composed consistently till his death in 1998. His fairly substantial output includes a number of concertos : a Cello Concerto (1984/5) written for Rostropovich who recorded it (Erato 2292-45530-2, now reissued on MGB CD 6103,which I have not heard so far), a Violin Concerto En rêve (1988) for Anne-Sophie Mutter who recorded it (DG 431 626-2), a Double Concerto for Violin, Cello and Chamber Orchestra (1981) that is available on Grammont CTS-M 23-2 (which I have not heard either), a Triple Concerto for Flute, Oboe, Harp and Strings (1984) as well as two organ concertos from 1995/6 and 1998 respectively, all of which are unavailable in commercial recordings so far. His output also includes several choral works, such as his oratorio for soloists, choruses and orchestra Mendiant au ciel bleu (1980/1) that is available on MGB CD 6199

Read more: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2004/aug04/Moret_trumpet.htm#ixzz5Q2GvPEGG

I remember the first performance of the oratorio, propably on Dutch Radio 4.
I must find out if I have a recording. ...

P.

Recent info at
http://www.musinfo.ch/en/personen/komponisten/?pers_id=36&abc=M