Philip Glass

Started by Daimonion, March 30, 2013, 08:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

I'm surprised this thread has only one page (well now it has two)! Anyways, though I think Glass is overhyped and I don't listen to his music with much regularity, I enjoy a few of his works when I'm in the mood: Symphonies 2, 3, 8 and 9, Violin Concerto, Concerto for Sax Quartet, Concerto-Fantasy for Two Timpanists and Orchestra and Cello Concerto no. 1. I'm eager to hear his recent (2011) Symphony no. 10, as I have enjoyed his previous two works in the form quite a bit. They seem to have an almost Brucknerian grandiosity combined with, of course, the usual Glass trademarks. My favorite Glass work, though, is his Concerto-Fantasy for Two Timpanists and Orchestra, which is a rhythmically exhilarating piece that makes me wonder why composers don't write more timpani concertos. What are everyone's favorite Glass works?

Mirror Image

Surprised to read that you actually like Glass' music, Kyle. Don't worry we can still be friends. :)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 19, 2013, 05:48:47 PM
Surprised to read that you actually like Glass' music, Kyle. Don't worry we can still be friends. :)

I take it you don't like Glass' music, then! :D Oh, don't get me wrong, Glass is far, far from being one of my favorite composers, but I don't really dislike his music like I do that of the "holy minimalists" (mainly Part and Taverner). I also have a certain liking for John Adams' music as well. :)

P.S. Shouldn't this thread be in the "Composer Discussion" section?

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 19, 2013, 06:09:03 PM
I take it you don't like Glass' music, then! :D Oh, don't get me wrong, Glass is far, far from being one of my favorite composers, but I don't really dislike his music like I do that of the "holy minimalists" (mainly Part and Taverner). I also have a certain liking for John Adams' music as well. :)

P.S. Shouldn't this thread be in the "Composer Discussion" section?

Yeah, Glass is a trite composer IMHO. I can barely listen anything he composed without feeling extremely letdown by halfway through. I like Adams a lot. actually. John Adams wrote three masterpieces as far as I'm concerned: 1. Harmonielehre, 2. Harmonium, and 3. Naive and Sentimental Music. I also liked the Violin Concerto, Grand Pianola Music, Shaker Loops, and The Dharma at Big Sur.

Pat B

kyjo

Quote from: Pat B on August 19, 2013, 07:39:22 PM
There is a thread there: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,7831.0.html.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll repost my first post on this thread on the thread you linked to. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: 7/4 on May 27, 2013, 07:06:38 AM
Kronos Quartet Performs Philip Glass is a good one!

Just bought this and am thoroughly enjoying it.   :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 28, 2018, 10:10:53 AM
Just bought this and am thoroughly enjoying it.   :)

Is this a ChamberNut sighting?  ;)

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 28, 2018, 10:30:35 AM
Is this a ChamberNut sighting?  ;)

It is.  Roughly in line with next passing of Halley's Comet.  8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 28, 2018, 11:47:04 AM
It is.  Roughly in line with next passing of Halley's Comet.  8)

I hope you're well, Ray!

relm1

Have any of us heard his Symphony No. 12?  It premiered last weekend and got raving reviews.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: relm1 on January 14, 2019, 06:19:43 AM
Have any of us heard his Symphony No. 12?  It premiered last weekend and got raving reviews.

Not sure if any users here were at the premiere. I have a buddy who lives close to L.A. and I tried to convince him to go.  If it's a similar timeline to the 11th it will be 2 years until we get a recording.

Also, MODS, there is another Philip Glass thread in the proper composers area with 13 pages, is there a way to move this thread over there?

Omicron9

I do not I do not I do not I do not I do not I do not I do not
like like like like like like like like like like
do not like do not like do not like do not like do not like do not like do not like
Philip Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Philip
Philip Glass Philip Glass Philip Glass Philip Glass Philip Glass Philip Glass
do not do not do not do not do not do not like

(repeat for 45 minutes)

However.... I do like his solo cello pieces.  They are not as trite/repetitive/run a simple arpeggio into the ground for 15 minutes/ as his other works.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"