Author Topic: A Farewell to GMG  (Read 8493 times)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
A Farewell to GMG
« on: September 09, 2018, 06:05:19 AM »
I've been preparing this for quite some time and I think this is just about the right time for it.

After 11 years of uninterrupted membership I do feel I have reached the GMG saturation point. I can no longer contribute anything of interest other than simply stating what I listen to and whether I like it or not, or why I philosophically and aesthetically dislike this or that. Besides, this site is a constant and ample opportunity for me to engage in verbose but ultimately useless polemics . As of late, I have decided that my priorities in life are very different, first and foremost raising my son and last but not least listening more to the music & music-making I like  and talking much less, if at all, about the music & music-making I dislike.

Therefore, this is going to be my last post here in the foreseeable future. I will not delete my account, I will still be reachable via PM or e-mail and I will continue to browse GMG  --- but I will post no more.

Thank you very much to all of you for such a pleasant and stimulating company and in some cases true friendship. I wish you all and all your loved ones all the best.

Cheers,
Andrei
I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts. --- Rachmaninoff

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
Re: A Farewell to GMG
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 06:48:04 AM »
Take care, safe travels, stay cool, and happy listening, Andrei:)
See you around hopefully.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 06:50:13 AM »
Hello, Andrei Florestan!

Please stop by at least now and then!

I do understand the duties of a family man!  ;)

And your comments have always been excellent: I will repeat my admiration for your command of English!

Best Wishes!

"Cato"
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:53:08 AM »
I'm very sorry see that you're leaving, Andrei, but I certainly understand we can all do with a break sometimes, and there are more important things in life than GMG.
Perhaps you can some time return to occasionally post about the music you like. La revedere!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 06:53:17 AM »
Sorry to see you go, Andrei. Even though we disagreed on several topics and composers, I always respected your opinion. As you may or may not be aware of, I, too, have ‘left’ but did come back, but my posting here has diminished greatly and I’m all the happier for it. Like you, I do believe I have exhausted what I could contribute here and have found it better to linger in the shadows away from all the petty bickering about what is the best recording of Beethoven’s 5th. Anyway, I completely understand your decision and hope you find a lot of happiness in this next phase of your life.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 07:24:35 AM »
Sorry to see you go. You're not worried that, deprived of your outlet here, you will find yourself engaging in useless polemics with people in your actual life?

I've resolved to limit my participation to remarking on what I listened to and whether I liked it. We'll see how long that lasts.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 07:42:31 AM »
One must, of course, respect your decision but this is very sad news indeed. Regrettably we are losing a valuable member. I, for one, always liked reading your posts. It is a positive that you are not deleting your account. May I respectively suggest that when you do revisit that you simply post what music you do like and why and simply forget about all of the other, irrelevant stuff; you will find at least one reader, but I also suspect many more. On the other hand, having raised a child, I certainly understand that time will be a valuable commodity and I wish you the very best in your personal and family life.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 08:11:26 AM »
One must, of course, respect your decision but this is very sad news indeed. Regrettably we are losing a valuable member. I, for one, always liked reading your posts. It is a positive that you are not deleting your account. May I respectively suggest that when you do revisit that you simply post what music you do like and why and simply forget about all of the other, irrelevant stuff; you will find at least one reader, but I also suspect many more. On the other hand, having raised a child, I certainly understand that time will be a valuable commodity and I wish you the very best in your personal and family life.

I suspect with respect to time and child rearing, another consideration is recriminations from the wife about "wasting time on the computer." At least, that is my experience. :(

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
I suspect with respect to time and child rearing, another consideration is recriminations from the wife about "wasting time on the computer." At least, that is my experience. :(

Ouch!  Such a thing is always fraught with peril!!!  $:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 08:57:21 AM »
Not having spouse or children, I have nothing to say but I hope Florestan manages to check more than once in a while!
At least to tell us what music his son is getting acquainted with.
(Didn't Szell say something along the lines that one thing that could never be repeated is listening to Beethoven's Fifth for the very first time?)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »
Best of luck, Andrei!

And do visit us from time to time...  :)

Q

Traverso

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
Sorry to see you go or taking a rest. I liked your contributions and your sense of humour,stay well and who knows what the future brings.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i_2LTvygEIE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/i_2LTvygEIE</a>

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 10:44:29 AM »
Sad news indeed! - but understandable especially when one has a child to raise. Since I've been there and done that, I'm free to waste my substance in riotous living here on GMG to my heart's content! :)

You will be missed, Andrei. I often found myself disagreeing with your "polemics" (though I rarely - if ever - joined the discussion), but I recognize a valuable member when I see one. Especially one who writes better English than many of our native speakers.

Best wishes to you and yours. Since you're not closing your account, we expect to see you back here in 15-20 years, after your son is raised, jumping back in. By that time GMG will be an abbreviation for "Geriatric Music Group."
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Elgarian Redux

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 10:52:31 AM »
Well this is a shock. I hope it wasn't my sudden reappearance that scared you off.

You're one of the people I looked forward to talking with again, when I was trying to re-register after long absence, and I shall miss you. I hope you change your mind and revisit after you've had a break.

Good luck Andrei. Thank you.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 11:35:21 AM »
Thanks, Andrei, for some thought-provoking contributions. I will miss you.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this news Andrei but fully respect your reasoning. I will miss your presence here and thank you for it. I totally understand that you want to spend time bringing up your son. In my experience they grow up very quickly. Maybe we will see you back here one day - certainly I hope so. In the meantime all best wishes for the future and thank you.
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »
Mine too actually.
 ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline petrarch

• Veteran member
  • Luigi Nono (1924-1990)
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »
You know you will be back :)... I took ~4 years off GMG as I was feeling much the same as you, and it was quite beneficial.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
Take care. I will miss you.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Sydney Nova Scotia

• Sydaney the greatest games ever
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »
I'm leaving the other site (terms and conditions) because it sucks, looking forward to spending time here  :)
Sydney is my name and games is my game