Any cellists here?

Started by MISHUGINA, August 22, 2007, 06:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MISHUGINA

Hi. I've learned the cello for almost six months now and I've only undertook lessons with a qualified cello teacher two months ago. It's still basics for now (and I expect for long time) so I appreciate if there are cellists here who could answer some questions:

- How many hours you practice a day and what kind of method books you use?
- What do you think is the most important aspect of cello playing yet many amateur players took it for granted?
- I have a HUGE problem with my grip on the bow. It seems I have this gap between my third and fourth fingers when I'm playing with a bow. As I observe professional cellists, they have this remarkable ability to relax, yet have this firm grip on the bow and looked good with it. Any solutions?

Larry Rinkel

M forever

Quote from: MISHUGINA on August 22, 2007, 06:54:24 PM
- I have a HUGE problem with my grip on the bow. It seems I have this gap between my third and fourth fingers when I'm playing with a bow. As I observe professional cellists, they have this remarkable ability to relax, yet have this firm grip on the bow and looked good with it. Any solutions?

Yes. Just relax. The energy needed to make the string speak and vibrate should not come from the hand or fingers gripping the bow and pressing it down on the string. You don't grip the bow at all. The energy comes from allowing the weight of the arm to go into the string. The bow just transfers it. The weight of the arm and the kinetic energy of its movement should go through the bow into the strings, through the instrument, towards the player. To achieve that, the arm has to be flexible from the shoulder, not stiff.

BTW, the cello is for girls. Real men play the bass.  ;D

Guido

The bow is far and away the most difficult part of the cello to master. It will tak e you many years to truly get very good control. Most people are so caught up with the left hand that they don't tend to notice this, and so bow development usually comes later.

Relaxation is the key to most things when playing the cello. And remember to breath!

The thing is, its actually extremely difficult to describe these things over the internet, and as frustratingly slow as it might seem, working with a teacher on the basics is really the only way that you will properly progress.

Good luck and have fun.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away