Hello, I'm a 20 years old student from South Korea

Started by extra_tacet, September 09, 2018, 11:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

extra_tacet

Hello, everyone.

I'm a 20 years old student from South Korea, currently living in Paris. Mainly interested in various contemporary music, most representatively:

GĂ©rard Grisey
Pierre Boulez
Fausto Romitelli
Bernard Parmegiani
Harrison Birtwistle
Iannis Xenakis
Luigi Nono

...and so forth. I was suggested by my dear friend to join here, and it seems so far like a great community to discuss on contemporary music.

Whilst sharing my experiences and opinions on music, I wonder whether it is suited, or even allowed, to express my thoughts and difficulties on my future related to music - for I wish to become a composer, whereas it is confusing since I am only starting to learn music theory in this relatively old age? I do not intend to use this website as some kind of a counseling system, and yet I do need certain help in terms of direction, hence would like to ask this question.

Thank you very much.

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

bhodges

Welcome!  And that is quite a list of composers; Grisey, Romitelli, and Xenakis are some of my favorites, too. Actually, all on your list are faves, except Parmegiani, whom I do not know.

--Bruce

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

amw

I know there are a few musicians on here who might be able to answer music theory questions, or practical career advice questions, etc. But even if you don't get an answer I don't think anyone will mind you asking.

EddieRUKiddingVarese

"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

extra_tacet

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

extra_tacet

Quote from: amw on September 09, 2018, 04:54:37 PM
I know there are a few musicians on here who might be able to answer music theory questions, or practical career advice questions, etc. But even if you don't get an answer I don't think anyone will mind you asking.

Is there a thread I can post such questions?

Thank you.

steve ridgway

Hello, I'm new on here too and don't recognise most of these composers but enjoy Xenakis' electro-acoustic works and a couple of things by Parmegiani. I'm still working my way through The Avant Garde Project but can see there's more Parmegiani and some Birtwistle on there so I'll download them and have a listen 8).

steve ridgway

Ooh, Parmegiani's De Natura Sonorum is just the thing I was looking for, a wonderful collection of absorbing sounds 8).

aligreto

steve ridgway

I like Birtwistle's Nomos and Imaginary Landscape too. As a child I used to catch the odd minute or so of mysterious music like this on the radio - before my father could make it across the room to turn it off :(. I enjoy letting the sounds wash over me, just listening to the instruments without remembering any tune they've already played or anticipating what might be coming next 8).