What Instrument(s) Are You Playing?

Started by Florestan, September 18, 2018, 09:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Our love for, and addiction to, music played by other people is well-documented, but how about the music-making of our own? What matters is not the level of proficiency but the frequency of, and the commitment to, playing.

So, what instrument(s) are you playing?

My answer: for the time being, none (and this is a source of constant and great frustration).

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

bwv 1080

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aligreto

bwv 1080

Yes its a fretless, gut-string gourd banjo, like was made in the early 1800s.  There is a guy making these and selling them on eBay

https://www.youtube.com/v/9c2IsbIi9Hg  https://www.youtube.com/v/5ss9tOxZ1bw

aligreto

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 18, 2018, 12:09:28 PM
Yes its a fretless, gut-string gourd banjo, like was made in the early 1800s.  There is a guy making these and selling them on eBay

https://www.youtube.com/v/9c2IsbIi9Hg  https://www.youtube.com/v/5ss9tOxZ1bw

How is your intonation? I have never played a fretless stringed instrument.

bwv 1080

Quote from: aligreto on September 18, 2018, 12:33:23 PM
How is your intonation? I have never played a fretless stringed instrument.

Well, if you listen to the video, you can hear it it is somewhat passable

the music tends to be simple pentatonic / diatonic stuff, so its not like playing Bach on a violin

I am also cheating by using classical guitar technique rather than clawhammer

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Florestan on September 18, 2018, 09:20:56 AM
So, what instrument(s) are you playing?

My answer: for the time being, none (and this is a source of constant and great frustration).

Sadly, me too. I used to post here about my piano playing, as an adult learner. I was not very good but I was dedicated. Unfortunately, work and other things have gotten in the way, and I have hardly any time to tickle the ivories anymore - haven't learned a new piece since about 2014.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

aligreto

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 18, 2018, 12:46:45 PM
Well, if you listen to the video, you can hear it it is somewhat passable

the music tends to be simple pentatonic / diatonic stuff, so its not like playing Bach on a violin

I am also cheating by using classical guitar technique rather than clawhammer

Forgive me for I did not realise that it was you playing and I did not view the videos. Well done you. Norwegian Wood was one of the first tunes that I learned to play on the guitar. In your video it sounds quite like a gourd. I see that you are picking quite close to the neck. This would help to account for that particular sound.

aligreto

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 18, 2018, 01:18:40 PM
Sadly, me too. I used to post here about my piano playing, as an adult learner. I was not very good but I was dedicated. Unfortunately, work and other things have gotten in the way, and I have hardly any time to tickle the ivories anymore - haven't learned a new piece since about 2014.

That is a shame. Playing an instrument, irrespective of the standard, is a wonderful thing to carry through life.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Ain't it the truth. However, it was of inestimable value in giving me a better knowledge and appreciation of how music is put together.

I figure I'll get back to it soon. On my plate is to re-learn my 3 "star" pieces (i.e. the ones I memorized and played for people): Beethoven Bagatelle in G Minor Op. 119/1, Bach Sinfonia in F Minor, and Mozart Adagio in B Minor K. 540 (yeah, I like minor).
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

aligreto

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 19, 2018, 10:34:13 AM
Ain't it the truth. However, it was of inestimable value in giving me a better knowledge and appreciation of how music is put together.

I figure I'll get back to it soon. On my plate is to re-learn my 3 "star" pieces (i.e. the ones I memorized and played for people): Beethoven Bagatelle in G Minor Op. 119/1, Bach Sinfonia in F Minor, and Mozart Adagio in B Minor K. 540 (yeah, I like minor).

Good for you and best of luck with it.

ChopinBroccoli

The guitar and the bass for 32 years

I'm also a gloriously incompetent piano noodler incapable of making my hands operate independently of one another  ;)
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

vers la flamme

For the past year, mostly piano. My girlfriend is an excellent pianist and a teacher so I've been taking full advantage of that.

I've played the guitar for about 13 years. Bass a little fewer than that (upright and electric bass guitar). I sing, but I'm not classically trained whatsoever—just rock & roll. >:D Finally, I create electronic music using samplers and controllers and Ableton.

I'm also a killer tambourinist, but I don't think anyone is going to give me props for that.

Mirror Image

I've been playing the guitar for 22 years (maybe a bit longer --- I can't quite remember). I wouldn't know how to classify my own personal style, but let me just say I'm really into harmony and melody. While I was becoming interested in the guitar, I played percussion in the junior high school band. I wasn't anything to brag about and I was pretty much the bane of my director's existence for three years as I used to play pranks on her all the time. By the time I got to high school, I quit the band altogether as I didn't have any interest in marching nor did I want to take part in the concert band. This is when my interest in the guitar finally took full swing.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 02, 2020, 12:01:58 PM
For the past year, mostly piano. My girlfriend is an excellent pianist and a teacher so I've been taking full advantage of that.

I've played the guitar for about 13 years. Bass a little fewer than that (upright and electric bass guitar). I sing, but I'm not classically trained whatsoever—just rock & roll. >:D Finally, I create electronic music using samplers and controllers and Ableton.

I'm also a killer tambourinist, but I don't think anyone is going to give me props for that.

Excellent to read, vers la flamme. I wouldn't mind getting into electronic music, but I know this requires a lot of time, which I don't always have.

VonStupp

My oldest daughter will begin her first French Horn lessons next week. Her mother and grandmother both went to university on full horn scholarships, so she might feel the pressure as a 3rd generation hornist.

The horn case came today, so mouthpiece buzzing will become a regular musical event in our household.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

aligreto

Quote from: VonStupp on July 22, 2021, 10:18:38 AM
My oldest daughter will begin her first French Horn lessons next week. Her mother and grandmother both went to university on full horn scholarships, so she might feel the pressure as a 3rd generation hornist.

The horn case came today, so mouthpiece buzzing will become a regular musical event in our household.

It is in her genes  8)

Szykneij

Quote from: VonStupp on July 22, 2021, 10:18:38 AM

That's awesome! The French Horn is an instrument that's difficult to learn. but extremely rewarding to master. My background is in strings, but I have in the past taught middle school band. I once had a flutist/harpist student who wanted to play French Horn, so I met with her after school for lessons. The experience gave me a greater appreciation for the instrument and for those who can play it well. Congratulations to your daughter, as well as to Mom and Grandma.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

VonStupp

Quote from: Szykneij on July 23, 2021, 03:48:14 AM
That's awesome! The French Horn is an instrument that's difficult to learn. but extremely rewarding to master. My background is in strings, but I have in the past taught middle school band. I once had a flutist/harpist student who wanted to play French Horn, so I met with her after school for lessons. The experience gave me a greater appreciation for the instrument and for those who can play it well. Congratulations to your daughter, as well as to Mom and Grandma.

Thank you. My one regret is I never picked up a classical string instrument myself. Making time to start an instrument in adult life is a tricky affair, so I am happy to at least guide my girls into playing music while they are young.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."