Forgotten pianists of the LP era

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, September 23, 2018, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Ginette Doyen--wondering about her Mendelssohn Songs Without Words--apparently quite a collector's item on vinyl

Ania Dorfman see above

Maryla Jonas: Some of the most beautiful Chopin I have ever heard, especially the nocturnes. She had quite an interesting story. Rising to fame when the Nazis invaded her native Poland, she refused to play for them and escaped to Brazil, where later (I believe) Artur Rubinstein helped her start a career in the U.S. I just digitized one of her LPs entitled Piano Miniatures with short pieces by Handel, Mozart, Mendelssohn (hence my renewed interest in his piano pieces). I have enjoyed the other LPs (Chopin) for years.

Vlado Perlemuter is another favorite, especially the Ravel, and especially the Concerto in G

Eugene List, Arthur Balsam, Gyorgy Sebok are others I've only heard as accompanists, but am curious about. I would also list Paul Badura Skoda, but I don't think he is all that obscure. I am an avid LP collector, and love this era of recording, and am interested to hear thoughts on these and others. Others will follow as I sift through my collection, but this will hopefully be an interesting start to this thread for now.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Dancing Divertimentian

Noel Lee
Abbey Simon
Ruth Laredo
Eugene Istomin
Michael Ponti
John Browning
Rudolf Firkusny
Bruce Hungerford
Misha Dichter
Ingrid Haebler
Walter Klien
Shura Cherkassky
Andor Foldes
Samuil Feinberg
Lev Oborin
Jan Panenka

There might be varying degrees of "forgotten" here (Firkusny) but, well...here it is.....
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Cato

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 24, 2018, 04:58:29 PM

Ruth Laredo
Eugene Istomin
Michael Ponti
John Browning

Rudolf Firkusny
Bruce Hungerford
Misha Dichter

You have some great ones there: how about  Claudio Arrau and Wilhelm Backhaus ?

https://www.youtube.com/v/7U726VrX-U0

https://www.youtube.com/v/1hrNrRS_ajg

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Cato on September 24, 2018, 06:00:14 PM
You have some great ones there: how about  Claudio Arrau and Wilhelm Backhaus ?

Two great names, fer shur, but as I read it the OP is looking for pianists not so well known...on the "forgotten" side. :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

XB-70 Valkyrie

Right, people like Arrau, Backhaus, and even Feinberg have been reissued at least once or many times (incl the GPOC series, so not very obscure). Firkushny as well--although he is a good addition and one I'm curious about. But at least the first two on my list, afaik, there is nothing currently in print.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Daverz

JBS

Arkivmusic is promoting thus heavily.

Is he actually worthwhile?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on September 24, 2018, 07:23:06 PM
But at least the first two on my list, afaik, there is nothing currently in print.

There's a huge amount of stuff released by Ginette Doyen by Bibliotheque National de France, I can see about a dozen CDs. Dorfmann is pretty well served too

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Biffo

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 24, 2018, 04:58:29 PM
Noel Lee
Abbey Simon
Ruth Laredo
Eugene Istomin
Michael Ponti
John Browning
Rudolf Firkusny
Bruce Hungerford
Misha Dichter
Ingrid Haebler
Walter Klien
Shura Cherkassky
Andor Foldes
Samuil Feinberg
Lev Oborin
Jan Panenka

There might be varying degrees of "forgotten" here (Firkusny) but, well...here it is.....

I don't think Firkusny, Haebler or Cherkassky can count as forgotten.

John Browning is interesting to me. When I first started buying LPs he recorded the Prokofiev Piano Concertos and they had an excellent review in Gramophone. Unfortunately I couldn't afford them at the time and after that he seemed to fade from view. For some reason fairly recently  I remembered those recordings and looked him up on the internet; he had a long and distinguished career in the USA but doesn't seem to have made much of an impact on this side of the Atlantic.

Cato

Quote from: Biffo on September 25, 2018, 12:52:42 AM
I don't think Firkusny, Haebler or Cherkassky can count as forgotten.

John Browning is interesting to me. When I first started buying LPs he recorded the Prokofiev Piano Concertos and they had an excellent review in Gramophone. Unfortunately I couldn't afford them at the time and after that he seemed to fade from view. For some reason fairly recently  I remembered those recordings and looked him up on the internet; he had a long and distinguished career in the USA but doesn't seem to have made much of an impact on this side of the Atlantic.

Do you know his performance of the Barber Piano Concerto ?

https://www.youtube.com/v/HobIr7logJc

An interview from 1995:

http://www.bruceduffie.com/browning.html

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Biffo on September 25, 2018, 12:52:42 AM

Browning plays the concerti on this set:

[asin]B004H6P2LA[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Biffo

Many thanks to Cato and karl for their responses.

I haven't heard the Barber recording, something to explore. A very interesting interview. The Testament set (concertos only) looks tempting. Amazon UK has a bargain price secondhand copy of the Sony box, new copies are exorbitantly expensive. I heard Leinsdorf conduct the LSO in Symphony No 5 aeons ago but not sure I want all the symphonies etc.

Irons

First ever recording made by the chap on the left. He did go on to make many more but not as a pianist!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Draško

Antonio Barbosa, Brazilian pianist, died relatively young. One of my favorite recordings of Chopin Scherzi, on Connoisseur Society LP, never made it to CD. He also recorded some fine Liszt, especially Schubert/Liszt.

https://www.youtube.com/v/GRyBEZ3vDFY

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Any Malcuzynski fans here?

[asin]B00DKAH79O[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: Biffo on September 25, 2018, 04:28:34 AM
I heard Leinsdorf conduct the LSO in Symphony No 5 aeons ago but not sure I want all the symphonies etc.

Only ("only"!) four of the symphonies are in the Leinsdorf/BSO box, but you will especially enjoy the Second and Sixth, I believe.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Daverz on September 24, 2018, 07:30:17 PM
Alan Marks

I've got him playing on the Rochberg Piano 5tet, a recording stranded on vinyl.

Does Paul Jacobs count? I've got his Bach/Brahms/Busoni on Nonesuch. His recordings seem to be kind of hard to find nowadays.

William Bolcom - maybe better known as a composer, but he made some interesting recordings of American music (incl. his own) for Nonesuch.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Holden

Rafael Orozco
Richard Farrell
Noel Mewton-Wood
Andre Tchaikovsky
Peter Seeman
Andre Krust
Louis Kentner
Jean-Marie Darre
Abbey Simon
Michel Block
Terrence Judd

I had LPs (mostly via World Record Club) from most of these pianists. Orozco introduced me to the Chopin Preludes and Kentner the Liszt TEs.

Cheers

Holden

Dancing Divertimentian

Can't believe I forgot one of my favorite pianists: Agustin Anievas!!