Baritone (and bass?) saxophone notGerryMulligan

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, September 27, 2018, 10:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

I have tried to enjoy Gerry Mulligan, but I have not found anything I like yet. His tone seems so mellow and his playing so "cool" (or whatever) that he seems to disappear at times. I like the sound of this instrument and have been enjoying some Pepper Adams lately. Anyone else you enjoy on this instrument and other lower pitched saxophones? I know of the Anthony Braxton on sub-contrabass, but it's really more of a gimmick than anything else, it would seem. What are your favorites (musicians and recordings) on these instruments?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Brian

I've only had two musical encounters with Ronnie Cuber, but they were both fantastic. He did a killer "Moanin'" with the 90s Mingus Big Band, and he steals scenes as a side man on the early, good George Benson albums - It's Uptown and Cookbook. He also did a good bit of work in other genres with Paul Simon, Eddie Palmieri, Billy Joel, etc.

Brian

NikF just reminded me of Serge Chaloff's Blue Serge, his last and most fun album before a tragic early death.

NikF

Quote from: Brian on September 28, 2018, 02:46:04 PM
NikF just reminded me of Serge Chaloff's Blue Serge, his last and most fun album before a tragic early death.

Yeah, it's good stuff.

Others - I like Harry Carney with Ellington. And from what I've heard of Bob Gordon I think he's cool. Cecil Payne, definitely.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

king ubu

Harry Carney - best ever, the poppa!

Serge Chaloff - second best ...

Gerry Mulligan - the tenor baritone  ;)

Pepper Adams - the knife, indeed ... but unable to play a ballad, alas

Cecil Payne - almost as mellow as Chaloff, but quite sharp, too.

Sahib Shihab - one of the few true doublers (bari, soprano and flute), but a mean baritone!

Bob Gordon - his stuff with Jack Montrose is indeed wonderful!

Hamiet Bluiett - this giant just died a few weeks ago ... listen to his solo album from the seventies if you can!

Ronnie Cuber, yep!

And Howard Johnson (a multiplier ... tuba, baritone, trumpet and any other sax or brass)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

aukhawk

THE MAN for me is John Surman.  An Englishman, he'd be about 74 now but still touring I believe.  Unfortunately his discography (which is quite extensive, some of it on the ECM label) is very disappointing and does not come close to conveying the sound and fury he generates on stage.

He doubles on soprano sax and bass clarinet and dabbles with synths as well, but he's at his best in a full-on blow on baritone, with circular breathing and rapid arpeggios lasting minutes without pause.  At the time I was going to jazz venues in London (1970s) he formed an all-sax trio with Alan Skidmore (tenor) and the thrilling Mike Osborne (alto) calling themselves S.O.S - these three blowing together over a synth ostinato drone was something else.  It was after that he went into his ECM period and lost his way a bit, I felt.

A recording that comes close to what he was about is 'The Trio' featuring Barre Phillips on bass and Stu Martin on drums.

Scion7

one of the best was Pepper Adams - who most assuredly COULD play ballads - although those were few and far between, and very few quiet pieces are actually "ballads"
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

MusicAudioStar

Is the sax making a comeback? Obviously it's always been popular (I even played it in my band - alto), but I hear it all the time in today's pop music. I actually love it, makes me want to play again to be honest.
Be where your feet are.
-Ron Jarbarski

https://www.musicaudiostar.com/

XB-70 Valkyrie

Gary Smulyan anyone? Heard a bit of him on the radio, and was quite impressed...
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

T. D.

I discovered the not so well-known Nick Brignola (bari) a few years ago.
This one is really good: