OscoBosco's compositions

Started by OscoBosco, October 01, 2018, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OscoBosco

Crudblud

Very reminiscent of 20th century neoclassical music, particularly the American scene. Not sure if I'd call it derivative exactly, but were it not for some of the messy transitions I could possibly be convinced that it was a single movement from David Diamond written around the 1950s. I think generally you have an okay sense of flow in this piece, but sometimes it's like a cut and paste job with sections awkwardly sandwiched in. I would suggest that this piece could benefit from more anticipatory transitions to improve the sense of material continuity between sections. I recommend spending some time with middle period Stravinsky, for example the Basle Concerto, to see how he handles mood transitions with rhythmically complex materials.

A more specific point, but one that I think sticks out quite badly: in the "Triumphant" section (c. 2:30 in the video) you have long runs in the first violin which are very pronounced in their extra-diatonic character, but the other instruments are playing too much of a static, carpet-like texture to really let the gesture take off, it grinds against them rather than being supported by them. Please do not, as many would, blame this on the MIDI rendering, I've been working with MIDI long enough to know the difference between actual arrangement problems and mere sound library problems. A more contrapuntally varied approach in the accompaniment would do well here.

Overall, not bad.

MarkMcD

Hi Osco,

This is a beautiful and emotional piece of writing.  It has a real feel of movement and each developing section flows seamlessly into the next.  I really like the idea of taking the minor 2nd as such a tiny building block and expanding on it as much as possible, eventually filling 7 minutes of very clever and interesting music with such a small idea.  Really great work.  Beautifully played too!

Regards Mark

OscoBosco

Rons_talking

Nice job. It's very musical sounding and flows well. You're right: it is difficult deciding on a syntax in the 21stC since it seems most harmonic and rhythmic styles have been explored at length.  I would like it more if you trim away some of the notes that are not necessary (figurative) and use rests much more frequently for rhythmic tension (chop up the phrasing to be less predictable). Keep at it.... and be sure to listen to the piano music of Bartok, Prokofiev and Hindemith for ideas on phrasing and tonal variety. :)  RR

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bhodges

I quite liked this, too. Who are the performers? They seem very sympathetic to your sound world.

--Bruce

listener

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Rons_talking

Quote from: listener on June 09, 2019, 10:17:03 PM
Nice!!
If the Competition issues a recording let us know.

Nice work. Deserving of such a good performance...

arpeggio

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

OscoBosco

Thanks everybody! The performers are members of the Orlando Phil. Thanks for listening!

relm1

It's lovely.  I would encourage/challenge you to study voice leading.  You have a lot of parallel motion in this so why not compose your next piano piece with excellent voice leading.  This skill will help you say what you want in a more musical way.  Also consider more variations in the phrasing.  For example, a phrase is repeated exactly the same and you might want to vary an element up to keep the listeners attention.  For example, when you repeat the phrase, change the harmony at one point or change the rhythm.  If you have two quarter notes, next time you state that phrase, hold the first note longer like a dotted quarter for example.  Make it feel like a suspension.  Overall, a very fine piece.  Oh, by the way, do you live in Arlington Heights, Los Angeles?  If so, we are neighbors. 

OscoBosco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGMBJRBAGiw&t=6s

I wrote this piano piece through a lot of different stages. Played around with the beginning theme a lot but never knew how to continue it. While on the beach, I envisioned a lot more of it contained in a very loose sonata form with a second theme. The piece from there came quickly as an improvisation that I later brought to a close. The title is me trying to convey the German classical beginning with that of the second theme's party pop feel.