Mahler 5 causes fight in Sweden

Started by DaveF, October 22, 2018, 02:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveF

Well, not the music itself, sadly - wouldn't it be refreshing to hear of a brawl between pro- and anti-Mahlerians at a concert?

https://www.thelocal.se/20181017/fist-fight-breaks-during-mahlers-fifth-in-malmo

I've often been annoyed by the behaviour of other audience members - but never that annoyed.  (And what's this "bombastic introduction" to the 4th movement??

(Oops - just noticed that Dr Henning has posted on the same topic in the Mahler thread - shoulda looked there first.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: DaveF on October 22, 2018, 02:17:07 PMI've often been annoyed by the behaviour of other audience members - but never that annoyed.  (And what's this "bombastic introduction" to the 4th movement??

The story refers to the bombastic introduction to the forth movement coming to a shuttering halt. I'm guessing the bombastic end of the 3rd movement was being (incorrectly) described as an introduction to the forth movement allegretto.

alkan

The following is a true story ..... I am a witness.

About 12 years ago, my wife and I attended a concert in the South of France.     It already started badly because one of our favourite works, the Paganini violin concerto, had been replaced at the very last minute by the Mendelsohn concerto.   

The music started and the seats in front of us were empty.    Five minutes into the concert, two old ladies came in and disturbed everyone to take their seats in front of us   (this kind of thing is actually permitted here where classical concerts can be a kind of social event for the oldies).     After this annoyance, one of them began unwrapping some sort of candy in a noisy cellophane wrapper.    After much "shhh'ing" from the surrounding audience, she eventually stopped.     A few minutes later we could distinctly hear whispering and muttering coming from in front of us.

At this point my wife snapped.    She rolled up her programme and gave an almighty WHACK onto the head of one of the ladies  in front, at the same time crying "shut up !! " !!!!!     Chaos broke out of course !!    The old lady turned round and wailed "but it wasn't me !!"     And she was right.    It wasn't her!    It was another old lady one row further forward!     

We were about five rows away from the orchestra, and one abiding image I have is  of one of the cellists trying to keep playing and simultaneously turn his head to the left to watch the uproar going on in the audience.

After the interval the old ladies did not come back for Dvorak's 7th symphony  (which was badly played anyway), and my wife and I have never gone to another concert by this orchestra at this venue.      Looking back it is funny, but I can tell you it was the worst concert experience I have ever had !!!

I assure you that I am not making this up or exaggerating :!!!!

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

DaveF

Wonderful - your wife sounds like a spirited lady!  Of course, the correct reply to the old woman who complained "It wasn't me!" would have been "Well, just think what you'd have got if it had been".
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison