Charlie Brown/Peanuts

Started by vandermolen, November 01, 2018, 11:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 20, 2018, 07:59:45 AM
Very sad - especially as his records and Van Gogh went up in smoke.  :(
Snoopy's pension from serving in WWI must have been exceptionally high and/or he was moonlighting; after all, how could a middle-class  'guard dog' have afforded such luxuries?!
Pohjolas Daughter

André

All is not lost for Snoopy !

Life goes on

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 20, 2018, 09:44:32 AM
Snoopy's pension from serving in WWI must have been exceptionally high and/or he was moonlighting; after all, how could a middle-class  'guard dog' have afforded such luxuries?!
A very good point! Why did I not think of that?  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: André on November 20, 2018, 10:01:15 AM
All is not lost for Snoopy !

Life goes on

I can sleep peacefully tonight.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

vandermolen

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Cato on February 01, 2019, 12:37:18 PM
One of the greatest commentaries on the dominance of Kulcher over Culture!   ;)
If I'm recalling correctly, I remember a story about Maria Callas when a girl/teen? being in a musical competition (radio, I think).  An accordion player (whose name I don't recall and had never heard of before), won; she came in second.  Wonder what the judges were thinking of their decision say 20ish years later?

By the way, I don't have anything against accordions...sometimes even enjoying the playing thereof!   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Cato

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 01, 2019, 03:27:36 PM
If I'm recalling correctly, I remember a story about Maria Callas when a girl/teen? being in a musical competition (radio, I think).  An accordion player (whose name I don't recall and had never heard of before), won; she came in second.  Wonder what the judges were thinking of their decision say 20ish years later?

By the way, I don't have anything against accordions...sometimes even enjoying the playing thereof!   ;)

PD

In a biography of Arthur Honegger, I read many moons ago that he once complained about being driven crazy in Paris by "accordion music on radios everywhere."   8)  Possibly that was at the height of the "transistor radio" craze of the late 1950's and 1960's.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)