the most beautiful violin concerto i have ever heard (Gidon Kremer⋅Philip Glas)

Started by SKYIO, November 10, 2018, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

SKYIO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ySGfGr7JsU


its so clear, pristine, every note stands out to me, the flow takes my mind on a trip


Im looking for something like this, but with more dynamic and speed, and intensity. I wonder if ill ever find it, maybe i should try creating it.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bwv 1080

Quote from: SKYIO on November 10, 2018, 12:25:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ySGfGr7JsU


its so clear, pristine, every note stands out to me, the flow takes my mind on a trip


Im looking for something like this, but with more dynamic and speed, and intensity. I wonder if ill ever find it, maybe i should try creating it.

Just check out the other piece on the disc - the Schnittke Concerto Grosso #5

Daverz

I'm fond of the Glass Concerto.  I'll have to think about what a good follow-on would be.   Perhaps the Shostakovich Violin Concerto No. 1. 

What other violin concertos are you familiar with?

TheGSMoeller


schnittkease

Quote from: bwv 1080 on November 26, 2018, 11:02:14 AM
Just check out the other piece on the disc - the Schnittke Concerto Grosso #5

Ditto. One of my favorite Kremer recordings.

zamyrabyrd

Beethoven's Violin Concerto is a work of inspired genius. It was just on the car radio...
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

alkan

For me, the most beautiful, ...... Prokofiev's 1st violin concerto by David Oistrakh .... especially the final movement which melts into a kind of paradise of birdsong.   I have never heard anything so unique, movng and beautiful from the violin and orchestra ....
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

Rosalba

Quote from: SKYIO on November 10, 2018, 12:25:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ySGfGr7JsU


its so clear, pristine, every note stands out to me, the flow takes my mind on a trip


Thanks for reminding me. Listening to it now. :)
Music is Magic.

krummholz

Some other wonderful violin concertos to sample:

Carl Nielsen (he only wrote one)
Vagn Holmboe's early Chamber Concerto No. 6
Havergal Brian (again, only one)
Samuel Barber (one of the most luscious VCs that I know, especially in the first two movements)

vandermolen

I like the Barber and agree about the first two movements - other favourites are those written by:

David Morgan
Allan Pettersson (No.2 - one of the greatest ever IMO)
Malcolm Williamson (especially the last movement)
Peterson-Berger
Shostakovich (1 and 2)
Miaskovsky
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on June 01, 2022, 03:04:46 AM
I like the Barber and agree about the first two movements - other favourites are those written by:

David Morgan
Allan Pettersson (No.2 - one of the greatest ever IMO)
Malcolm Williamson (especially the last movement)
Peterson-Berger
Shostakovich (1 and 2)
Miaskovsky

I have the Morgan concerto coupled with the Fricker and Don Banks concertos on a Lyrita CD (unfortunately one that doesn't seem to be streaming).  The Fricker concerto is one of his most approachable works.  I love the Miaskovsky concerto, one of his best works.  I'll have to hunt down the Peterson-Berger.