Douglas Rain, the voice of 'HAL 9000' in 2001: A. Space Odyssey, dies aged 90.

Started by vandermolen, November 12, 2018, 05:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

He didn't have many lines in the movie, but they were chilling in their finality. Was this the future then?  I saw this movie when it was first released. That's nearly 50 years ago, and I can still remember how shocked we all were that the machine had taken the upper hand. It was a high point in cinematic history.  :-\

DAVE:  Open the pod bay doors, Hal.

HAL:  I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

DAVE:  What's the problem?

HAL:  l think you know what the problem is just as well as l do.

DAVE:  What are you talking about, Hal?

HAL:  This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

DAVE:  I don't know what you're talking about, Hal.

HAL:  l know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I can't allow to happen.

DAVE:  Where the hell'd you get that idea, Hal?

HAL:  Although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

DAVE:  All right, Hal. I'll go in through the emergency air lock.

HAL:  Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

DAVE:  Hal, I won't argue with you anymore. Open the doors!

HAL:  Dave...This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

One of the most famous roles in cinema history, and I have no idea what he looked like.

It's interesting that nobody became a star out of that film, even though it's widely considered one of the greatest ever made. I don't think I ever saw Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, or William Sylvester in anything else.

Arguably, the person who got the biggest career boost from the film was György Ligeti.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

XB-70 Valkyrie

It surely took a great actor to portray--without even showing his face--the greatest movie villain in the greatest movie of all time! Never again will we see the likes of that performance! RIP Douglas!

Suitably enough, this was released this year! I am surely getting a few!

https://www.hallmark.com/ornaments/keepsake-ornaments/2001-a-space-odyssey-hal-9000-50th-anniversary-ornament-with-light-and-sound-1999QXI3213.html

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

vandermolen

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on November 12, 2018, 12:13:31 PM
One of the most famous roles in cinema history, and I have no idea what he looked like.

It's interesting that nobody became a star out of that film, even though it's widely considered one of the greatest ever made. I don't think I ever saw Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, or William Sylvester in anything else.

Arguably, the person who got the biggest career boost from the film was György Ligeti.

An interesting point although I've seen Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood and William Sylvester in other films.

Here is an image of Douglas Rain:

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 12, 2018, 11:31:33 AM
He didn't have many lines in the movie, but they were chilling in their finality. Was this the future then?  I saw this movie when it was first released. That's nearly 50 years ago, and I can still remember how shocked we all were that the machine had taken the upper hand. It was a high point in cinematic history.  :-\

HAL:  l know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I can't allow to happen.

HAL:  Although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

HAL:  Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

I also saw it at the cinema when it first came out in 1968. In fact I took all my family to see it, visiting the cinema eight times. None of them thought as highly of the film as I did - maybe because I was the youngest at 12/13 years of age. Nice to be reminded of HAL's dialogue.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 12, 2018, 06:58:43 PM
It surely took a great actor to portray--without even showing his face--the greatest movie villain in the greatest movie of all time! Never again will we see the likes of that performance! RIP Douglas!

Suitably enough, this was released this year! I am surely getting a few!

https://www.hallmark.com/ornaments/keepsake-ornaments/2001-a-space-odyssey-hal-9000-50th-anniversary-ornament-with-light-and-sound-1999QXI3213.html

Must try to get one of those!

vandermolen

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on November 12, 2018, 12:13:31 PM

And that, notwithstanding the fact that Kubrick (at first) used the music without regard for the composer's leave.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 12, 2018, 11:31:33 AM

Quote from: vandermolen on November 12, 2018, 11:09:06 AM
The BBC played 'The Blue Danube' in tribute tonight.

Hal:  I'm not questioning your word, Dave, but it's just not possible.  I'm not capable of being wrong.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on November 12, 2018, 11:59:37 PM
I also saw it at the cinema when it first came out in 1968. In fact I took all my family to see it, visiting the cinema eight times. None of them thought as highly of the film as I did - maybe because I was the youngest at 12/13 years of age. Nice to be reminded of HAL's dialogue.  :)

I just read a book about the making of the movie, and while Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer was expecting a disaster, the lines outside the theaters were long from the beginning (word had spread without the Internet  8) - I had seen the poster and that was enough for me: I was pumped!  Space stations, space ships, SPACE ODYSSEY!!! Come on!!!        IN    C  I  N  E  R  A  M  A  !!!   It had to be good!).  :D

And repeat business also helped:  I do not recall how many times I saw it, but it might have been 8 times or more.  And yes, the music was a big reason to see it multiple times!   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 13, 2018, 05:38:05 AM
And that, notwithstanding the fact that Kubrick (at first) used the music without regard for the composer's leave.

Yes, and there is another (rejected) soundtrack by Alex North I think. I think that Kubrick's use of music in the film was brilliant. Reading the obituaries of Douglas Rain one commented that the 'death' of HAL ('Daisy, Daisy...a bicycle built for two...') is perhaps the most gut-wrenching death scene in a movie. I think that Kubrick made a deal with Ligeti in the end. Certainly Ligeti became much better known (not least by me) as a result of 2001. Rain was back as a revived HAL in the film 2010 which I enjoyed more than many people although it is more of a standard adventure film.

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on November 13, 2018, 05:54:40 AM
I just read a book about the making of the movie, and while Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer was expecting a disaster, the lines outside the theaters were long from the beginning (word had spread without the Internet  8) - I had seen the poster and that was enough for me: I was pumped!  Space stations, space ships, SPACE ODYSSEY!!! Come on!!!        IN    C  I  N  E  R  A  M  A  !!!   It had to be good!).  :D

And repeat business also helped:  I do not recall how many times I saw it, but it might have been 8 times or more.  And yes, the music was a big reason to see it multiple times!   8)

You make a good point Leo- the 'Cinerama' was a key factor for me. It was one of those films which had to be seen on the big screen - in my case (X8) at the Odeon, Leicester Square in London.

I've decided that I need a HAL mug as a tribute to Douglas Rain: