Hello to all from the US...

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, November 12, 2018, 05:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Hello everyone.  I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to discussing music (and perhaps other things in time) with you.  Regarding classical music-wise, my interests are fairly varied.  Besides the [hopefully] obvious, I also love Vaughan Williams, and in general a number of composers from the 19th century up to and including Shostakovich....love opera....Mozart, Verdi, Handel, Haydn, Beethoven....and more.   :)

Best wishes,

Pohjola's Daughter
Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

Welcome Pohjola's Daughter from California.  Might I assume based on your name you are also a fan of Sibelius/Finns?    RVW and Shostakovich are two of my top five favorites.  Welcome.

North Star

Welcome to GMG from Finland, Pohjolan tytär!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

aligreto

Welcome aboard and we look forward to reading your posts.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Welcome.  I used to sell on eBay under the name Pohjola. Never been to Finland, although I have relatives in Turku and I feel like I should be an honorary citizen given the number of Sibelius recordings I have. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: relm1 on November 12, 2018, 06:34:38 AM
Welcome Pohjola's Daughter from California.  Might I assume based on your name you are also a fan of Sibelius/Finns?    RVW and Shostakovich are two of my top five favorites.  Welcome.

Yes, I am a fan of Sibelius (and of some other Finnish composers too)....and so far in any event, the Finns that I've met have been very nice people.  :-)

I hope that your home is far away from any of the current wildfires that I've been hearing about?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

....and thanks to all of you for your welcomes!

I have been to Finland but it was long ago and a pretty short visit too.  Would love to go back there....maybe during the summertime....watch the LSO (Lahti Symphony Orchestra) perform live....  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 12, 2018, 08:23:55 AM
....and thanks to all of you for your welcomes!

I have been to Finland but it was long ago and a pretty short visit too.  Would love to go back there....maybe during the summertime....watch the LSO (Lahti Symphony Orchestra) perform live....  :)

PD

Another Finn welcoming you on this board.  ;)

Definitely come to Finland in the summertime. Somewhat warm weather and superlong days.  8)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

André

relm1

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 12, 2018, 08:20:31 AM
Yes, I am a fan of Sibelius (and of some other Finnish composers too)....and so far in any event, the Finns that I've met have been very nice people.  :-)

I hope that your home is far away from any of the current wildfires that I've been hearing about?

PD

Sadly not far!  Very much affected.  Many friends evacuated and tremendous health issues resulting as well as loss of life or property.  But thanks.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I'm also in California, but in my case about 150 miles away. Even at this distance there is a detectable change in air quality due to the smoke.

Irons

Although we have not met as the Atlantic divides us, we know each other well. PD is a kind and thoughtful person and I am delighted that she has joined GMG. Welcome aboard!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Welcome from me too. I'm also an admirer of Vaughan Williams, Sibelius and Finland, which I had the pleasure of visiting in 2013 and seeing the home of Sibelius.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: schnittkease on November 12, 2018, 10:36:35 AM
Welcome. I do love me some Rautavaara, but the Russians have me bewitched!

Yes, I agree:  there are many fine Russian composers too--I particularly enjoy Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich (as I had mentioned earlier)....operas like Boris Godunov are thrilling....and the ballets!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: relm1 on November 12, 2018, 03:55:49 PM
Sadly not far!  Very much affected.  Many friends evacuated and tremendous health issues resulting as well as loss of life or property.  But thanks.

To Relm1 and Ghost of Baron Scarpia,

I'm very sorry to hear of it.  I hope that no one that you personally were/are close to was/is physically hurt by the fires.  I can only imagine that it would be horrible to lose ones home, but also life?  Hope that they were (are) able to get away with at least their lives and pets.

And, yes, the air pollution must be horrible!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 12, 2018, 11:40:53 PM
Although we have not met as the Atlantic divides us, we know each other well. PD is a kind and thoughtful person and I am delighted that she has joined GMG. Welcome aboard!
Delighted to once again be able to discuss music with you on this very welcoming forum dear Irons!

And you are too kind!

All the best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 13, 2018, 12:24:39 AM
Welcome from me too. I'm also an admirer of Vaughan Williams, Sibelius and Finland, which I had the pleasure of visiting in 2013 and seeing the home of Sibelius.

Rather envious of you at the moment Vandermolen as I've been wanting to visit Ainola....also places like Down Ampney, the Fens, the Leith Hill Musical Festival....and many more places associated with Vaughan Williams--and other composers too.   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 13, 2018, 04:53:54 AM
Rather envious of you at the moment Vandermolen as I've been wanting to visit Ainola....also places like Down Ampney, the Fens, the Leith Hill Musical Festival....and many more places associated with Vaughan Williams--and other composers too.   ;)

PD

Ainola is a great place to visit. Sibelius and his wife are buried in the garden. I've never been to Down Ampney or Leth Hill but I did visit Vaughan Williams's grave in Westminster Abbey a couple of weeks ago.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).