Author Topic: Apple Acquires Primephonic  (Read 225 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
Apple Acquires Primephonic
« on: November 16, 2021, 12:54:25 PM »
I've never been interested in streaming until now:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/08/apple-acquires-classical-music-streaming-service-primephonic/

If this app delivers on its promises, it'll be one of the best streaming services around. Primephonic had a rather large music database and Apple's is decently sized as well, but together there's no telling what will available. Possibly a larger classical music library than Naxos, Qobuz or any of the rest of them?
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: Apple Acquires Primephonic
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 02:39:55 PM »
Didn't Madiel post recently that after acquiring it, Apple simply shut it down? And were promising to create a new version some time in the future?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
Re: Apple Acquires Primephonic
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »
Didn't Madiel post recently that after acquiring it, Apple simply shut it down? And were promising to create a new version some time in the future?

Yes, Apple shut Primephonic down, but subscribers were offered incentives like continued service up to a certain point and memberships to Apple Music for the time being. Apple is creating a brand new app completely devoted to classical music that will launch some time next year. This is all that is known so far. Anyway, I'll definitely onboard if the price is right and their database is more vast than my own collection. I'm more interested in streaming for new releases. This way I can get a better idea of what the recording is going sound like vs. listening to lower quality via YouTube. And I don't do Spotify and don't like the layout of their site.
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."