RIP Sir Andrew Davis

Started by Roasted Swan, April 21, 2024, 02:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

A major loss to music generally not just his many recordings and performances of British Music.

Not many significant old school British conductors left.

Pohjolas Daughter

Sorry to hear the news.  I saw him conduct once about 10 years(?) ago here in the States.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

I was very sorry and surprised to hear this sad news. I thought of him as much younger than 80. As he got older he came to resemble Sir Charles Groves. He made many interesting recordings - a fine Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.6, Bliss, Sibelius, Rosenberg etc etc. I first came across him via his CFP LP of Shostakovich's 10th Symphony.
RIP
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

A worthy memorial to a great artist....

For me one of the great performances quite beautifully filmed in Gloucester Cathedral where it was premiered.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 21, 2024, 05:00:08 AMA worthy memorial to a great artist....

For me one of the great performances quite beautifully filmed in Gloucester Cathedral where it was premiered.

Thanks for that video.  I'll have to watch it a bit later.  I heard about that performance and sought out the CD of it (It was released on a BBC MM cover CD).  That also was one of the works that I saw him conduct (a favorite of mine).  Sadly, they also included the video of it, but (if I'm recalling correctly) it was in a format which was no longer supported, so I couldn't watch it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I know that not every one does... but I always really liked his Vaughan Williams.

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on April 21, 2024, 05:49:17 AMI know that not every one does... but I always really liked his Vaughan Williams.
Yes, I largely agree and found it rather underrated although No.6 was generally held in high regard.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

My best memory of him was Lulu in the mid 1990s. It was a time when the opera seemed to be fashionable here, and I must have seen it in three productions over less than 10 years  - Andrew Davis's is the one which I remember most positively.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Roasted Swan

A fine musician but also highly respected and much liked by the people he worked with.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on April 21, 2024, 05:49:17 AMI know that not every one does... but I always really liked his Vaughan Williams.

...and the Elgar.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Maestro267

ritter

I think I have no recordings by him in my collection, but did see him live in late 1987, when he conducted Le nozze di Figaro at the Chicago Lyric Opera.

R.I.P. Andrew Davis.

Maestro267

Maybe the third great modern champion of British music after Tod Handley and Richard Hickox.

Spotted Horses

His recording of Holst's Egdon Heath stands out in my memory.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 21, 2024, 11:50:03 AMHis recording of Holst's Egdon Heath stands out in my memory.
Mine too

pjme

Percy Grainger's 'Tribute to Foster,' an extraordinary musical extravaganza, was played at the Last Night of the 2000 Proms by the BBCSO & Chorus, plus several vocal soloists, under Sir Andrew Davis's baton .
Wacky fun... !

We'll miss him.

Luke

Listened to his recent Berg recording today, which includes his own orchestrations of the Piano Sonata and the sketch of a Passacaglia. Very impressively done, and the disc also has a nice long note written by him. A fitting elegiac soundworld.