Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2021, 09:50:15 AM
45 RPM actually! I've been enjoying my Arthur Bliss EP which arrived today in remarkably good condition:

Very nice. Is that a 7" or a 12" Jeffrey?

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 09, 2021, 10:15:51 AM
Neat!  I love the cover!

PD
Me too PD which was one of the attractions of the disc, along with the inexpensive price, my enjoyment of the music and the excellent condition of the vinyl.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on August 12, 2021, 12:53:57 AM
Very nice. Is that a 7" or a 12" Jeffrey?
7" Fergus, like an old 45 RPM pop music single.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on August 12, 2021, 06:33:05 AM
7" Fergus, like an old 45 RPM pop music single.

Very nice, Jeffrey. That would be something that I would buy if I came across it.

Pohjolas Daughter

I just had fun yakking with a friend of mine over the phone and checking out some things online.  He told me that he was looking at an article in the current issue of The Absolute Sound about a roughly $600,000 turntable (not including tone arm nor cartridge) and weighing I believe about 330 kg.  It's called the TechDas Air Force Zero.

You can see the installation of it here:  https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/the-audio-vault/the-cutting-edge/156406-installation-of-techdas-air-force-zero-at-jacob-heilbrun-s

And the specs here:  https://techdas.jp/pages/air-force-zero/

Anyone in?

PD

p.s.  Here's one photo of it:    And you can get an idea of how big it is here:

p.p.s.   Sorry, but I don't have access to the article....just recalling what my friend said.

And last edit:  Here's a link to an earlier article on it (preview from 2019)  https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/techdas-air-force-zero-turntable-preview
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Over-engineering at it's worse. I admit not as simple as it sounds but a turntable design has two goals, to revolve at a constant speed without deviation and suppress micro vibrations. Engineers have come up with many designs to tackle these two elements, some more successful then others. In my view the finest turntables are well engineered, so not inexpensive, with simplicity a key to the design.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 17, 2021, 12:09:03 AM
Over-engineering at it's worse. I admit not as simple as it sounds but a turntable design has two goals, to revolve at a constant speed without deviation and suppress micro vibrations. Engineers have come up with many designs to tackle these two elements, some more successful then others. In my view the finest turntables are well engineered, so not inexpensive, with simplicity a key to the design.
Well, it's certainly not simple with four(!)platters, etc. (including working with another company to build a stand just for it) and taking three people to set it up (due to the weight of the various platters, etc.).

Must admit, it would be fun to hear it...just even once.  With those Wilson Audio WAMM Master Chronosonic loudspeakers of course!  :D

We had just talked about it trying to wrap our heads around the idea of how on earth could there be such an expensive turntable and what was it made of, etc.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

fbjim

Picked this up for five bucks. For whatever reason Sony has been very stingy with re-releasing this one.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: fbjim on August 18, 2021, 08:58:56 AM
Picked this up for five bucks. For whatever reason Sony has been very stingy with re-releasing this one.

Nice!  :)

Pd
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

+1 Enjoy your purchase  8)

Irons

I have that, a US pressing but unlike yours, mono. I like the Schuman performance very much.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Jo498

For some reason whenever I see this thread title, my first thought is of the Diabelli Variations, not of Vinyl Long Playing Records.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on August 19, 2021, 01:14:43 AM
For some reason whenever I see this thread title, my first thought is of the Diabelli Variations, not of Vinyl Long Playing Records.
:laugh:  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Looks like a fine LP.

Irons

Pleased to pick SRCS 116 up, not cheap but not silly eBay prices.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 25, 2021, 07:47:46 AM

Congrats on your find Irons!  Must admit, I've heard of her but don't know her music.  :(  Am currently visiting and revisiting, in a number of cases, some of Bartok's music.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 25, 2021, 07:47:46 AM

Excellent Lol! I have the CD version and very good it is too.

Pohjolas Daughter

And, boy Irons, you were not kidding regarding eBay prices!  Looking today, $100!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2021, 10:57:29 AM
Excellent Lol! I have the CD version and very good it is too.

I was expecting RVW-light, Jeffrey. Not at all, more gnarly but in a good way.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 25, 2021, 10:58:55 AM
And, boy Irons, you were not kidding regarding eBay prices!  Looking today, $100!

PD

I know, PD. I have been on the lookout for some time and knew one would turnup eventually. I paid £20 and it is a lovely copy.