Author Topic: Thirty three and a third.  (Read 116351 times)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
Re: Thirty three and a third.
« Reply #1000 on: July 27, 2021, 12:27:54 PM »
I'd guess the Command stuff is in that quasi-legal European public-domain status where you can probably find hyper-budget labels putting them out as LP transfers. Not sure if anyone owns that label but there was some relatively strong stuff on it. Maybe not enough for a reissue box, though...

(speaking of boxes, I got invited to poke through a box of classical records that came into one of the nicer stores here- picked up a few of the original Haitink Mahler symphonies (and Das Lied) for a fair price. unfortunately when I pulled out a copy of Music for 18 Musicians the owner immediately knew that record was worth decent money...)

I recall Command Classics I think, rather garish covers? They got on the Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo bandwagon, bit like Everest. I can only remember US imports with thick covers, not European pressings
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1001 on: August 09, 2021, 08:50:15 AM »
45 RPM actually! I've been enjoying my Arthur Bliss EP which arrived today in remarkably good condition:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #1002 on: August 09, 2021, 09:15:51 AM »
45 RPM actually! I've been enjoying my Arthur Bliss EP which arrived today in remarkably good condition:

Neat!  I love the cover!

PD

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1003 on: August 11, 2021, 11:53:57 PM »

Very nice. Is that a 7" or a 12" Jeffrey?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1004 on: August 12, 2021, 05:32:06 AM »
Neat!  I love the cover!

PD
Me too PD which was one of the attractions of the disc, along with the inexpensive price, my enjoyment of the music and the excellent condition of the vinyl.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1005 on: August 12, 2021, 05:33:05 AM »
Very nice. Is that a 7" or a 12" Jeffrey?
7" Fergus, like an old 45 RPM pop music single.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1006 on: August 12, 2021, 06:04:13 AM »
7" Fergus, like an old 45 RPM pop music single.

Very nice, Jeffrey. That would be something that I would buy if I came across it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1007 on: August 15, 2021, 07:56:10 AM »
I just had fun yakking with a friend of mine over the phone and checking out some things online.  He told me that he was looking at an article in the current issue of The Absolute Sound about a roughly $600,000 turntable (not including tone arm nor cartridge) and weighing I believe about 330 kg.  It's called the TechDas Air Force Zero.

You can see the installation of it here:  https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/the-audio-vault/the-cutting-edge/156406-installation-of-techdas-air-force-zero-at-jacob-heilbrun-s

And the specs here:  https://techdas.jp/pages/air-force-zero/

Anyone in?

PD

p.s.  Here's one photo of it:    And you can get an idea of how big it is here:

p.p.s.   Sorry, but I don't have access to the article....just recalling what my friend said.

And last edit:  Here's a link to an earlier article on it (preview from 2019)  https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/techdas-air-force-zero-turntable-preview
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:06:05 AM by Pohjolas Daughter »

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1008 on: August 16, 2021, 11:09:03 PM »
Over-engineering at it's worse. I admit not as simple as it sounds but a turntable design has two goals, to revolve at a constant speed without deviation and suppress micro vibrations. Engineers have come up with many designs to tackle these two elements, some more successful then others. In my view the finest turntables are well engineered, so not inexpensive, with simplicity a key to the design.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1009 on: August 17, 2021, 02:44:04 AM »
Over-engineering at it's worse. I admit not as simple as it sounds but a turntable design has two goals, to revolve at a constant speed without deviation and suppress micro vibrations. Engineers have come up with many designs to tackle these two elements, some more successful then others. In my view the finest turntables are well engineered, so not inexpensive, with simplicity a key to the design.
Well, it's certainly not simple with four(!)platters, etc. (including working with another company to build a stand just for it) and taking three people to set it up (due to the weight of the various platters, etc.).

Must admit, it would be fun to hear it...just even once.  With those Wilson Audio WAMM Master Chronosonic loudspeakers of course!  :D

We had just talked about it trying to wrap our heads around the idea of how on earth could there be such an expensive turntable and what was it made of, etc.   :)

PD

Offline fbjim

« Reply #1010 on: August 18, 2021, 07:58:56 AM »
Picked this up for five bucks. For whatever reason Sony has been very stingy with re-releasing this one.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1011 on: August 18, 2021, 08:39:47 AM »
Picked this up for five bucks. For whatever reason Sony has been very stingy with re-releasing this one.

Nice!  :)

Pd

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1012 on: August 18, 2021, 01:15:23 PM »

+1 Enjoy your purchase  8)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1013 on: August 18, 2021, 11:17:48 PM »

I have that, a US pressing but unlike yours, mono. I like the Schuman performance very much.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1014 on: August 19, 2021, 12:14:43 AM »
For some reason whenever I see this thread title, my first thought is of the Diabelli Variations, not of Vinyl Long Playing Records.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1015 on: August 19, 2021, 01:40:56 AM »
For some reason whenever I see this thread title, my first thought is of the Diabelli Variations, not of Vinyl Long Playing Records.
:laugh:  :)

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1016 on: August 19, 2021, 02:09:50 AM »

Looks like a fine LP.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1017 on: August 25, 2021, 06:47:46 AM »
Pleased to pick SRCS 116 up, not cheap but not silly eBay prices.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1018 on: August 25, 2021, 07:52:54 AM »

Congrats on your find Irons!  Must admit, I've heard of her but don't know her music.  :(  Am currently visiting and revisiting, in a number of cases, some of Bartok's music.  :)

PD
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:58:07 AM by Pohjolas Daughter »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1019 on: August 25, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »

Excellent Lol! I have the CD version and very good it is too.