Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 09, 2021, 08:24:06 AM
If I recall correctly I did, Olivier. A LP I value greatly.

Jeffrey mentions the cover, I travelled over that bridge (Hammersmith) back and forth for 37 years!   Retired now, so not an issue for me, thankfully. The bridge is closed for all traffic. Deemed so dangerous that boats are not allowed to travel under it! I believe even the annual Oxford/Cambridge boat race has been rerouted.
Wow!  ???

PD

premont

Quote from: aligreto on October 09, 2021, 02:19:17 AM
Cheers Jeffrey but I have stopped buying altogether from the UK since Brexit. Vat charges and Post Office handling charges, coupled with the resulting delays, make relatively small purchases much more expensive now, unfortunately.

This is precisely the situation in Denmark too, so I have also stopped bying physical discs from Presto and all other British sources. Fortunately there are many fine CD dealers within EU, among them JPC, who's Paypal solution works well.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MusicTurner

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 09, 2021, 08:57:44 AM
This is precisely the situation in Denmark too, so I have also stopped bying physical discs from Presto and all other British sources. Fortunately there are many fine CD dealers within EU, among them JPC, who's Paypal solution works well.

Ditto. JPC also works with Mastercard now.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on October 09, 2021, 02:19:17 AM
Cheers Jeffrey but I have stopped buying altogether from the UK since Brexit. Vat charges and Post Office handling charges, coupled with the resulting delays, make relatively small purchases much more expensive now, unfortunately.
Don't blame you Fergus.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 09, 2021, 03:30:21 AM
Sorry to hear that Fergus.  Buying things from anywhere (well, many places at least) should be getting easier rather than harder these days.
Cool!  May I ask what label/s it is on as the image is a bit blurry to me.

PD
HMV label PD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

On Classics and Vinyl Bliss: Medications on a Theme of John Blow.

https://youtu.be/IVpxt2zZ2OI
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 12, 2021, 06:36:18 AM

Possibly Bliss's greatest work, although Rignold's CBSO version on Lyrita is my favourite version. Handley's is very good though.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on October 12, 2021, 06:36:18 AM

Wonderfully nerdy that: listening to classical music while watching an LP spinning on a nice TT on a YT video  ;D  8)

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on October 13, 2021, 02:26:28 AM
Wonderfully nerdy that: listening to classical music while watching an LP spinning on a nice TT on a YT video  ;D  8)

:laugh:
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Found a copy last week of Shostakovich's 10th Symphony. Wearing my train-spotting hat I noted this was the first issue of what was to be a full set of the symphonies by Bernard Haitink.

Recorded in January 1977 at the Kingsway Hall. The next instalment was to be the 15th in March 1978 and I think the final analogue recording, a surprising choice, the 4th in January 1979. With the onset of the 1980's I surmise the rest of the cycle was recorded in the digital domain. I know the 5th was as the first CD I ever heard and purchased. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 15, 2021, 12:10:00 AM
Found a copy last week of Shostakovich's 10th Symphony. Wearing my train-spotting hat I noted this was the first issue of what was to be a full set of the symphonies by Bernard Haitink.

Recorded in January 1977 at the Kingsway Hall. The next instalment was to be the 15th in March 1978 and I think the final analogue recording, a surprising choice, the 4th in January 1979. With the onset of the 1980's I surmise the rest of the cycle was recorded in the digital domain. I know the 5th was as the first CD I ever heard and purchased.
Well-spotted Irons!  And thanks for the information behind the recordings.  :) 8)

PD

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 15, 2021, 04:02:15 AM
Well-spotted Irons!  And thanks for the information behind the recordings.  :) 8)

PD

A pleasure, PD.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on October 15, 2021, 12:10:00 AM

Nice.

Irons

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on October 17, 2021, 04:23:36 AM
A set with usually positive feedback on GMG.

Cheers. I do believe that I have one or two of that set on vinyl.

Irons

When the stars align with work, performance, recording and pressing the LP record is capable of producing a unique listening experience. Admittedly rare and usually when you least expect it.

Bernstein both playing and conducting his NYP in the Shostakovich 2nd Piano Concerto was such an event. Bernstein's playing is inhuman, an avalanche of sound. Directing the orchestra at the same time is taking the p---!
Although also available in stereo this copy is a Dutch mono recording. I have a theory that 1950's recordings (this is circa 6/1/1958) are more focused and dynamic in the mono format. Stereo was to come into it's own in the 1960's. My pressing is hot, with the music leaping from the grooves. But more importantly, what a performance!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 12, 2021, 01:30:24 PM
When the stars align with work, performance, recording and pressing the LP record is capable of producing a unique listening experience. Admittedly rare and usually when you least expect it.

Bernstein both playing and conducting his NYP in the Shostakovich 2nd Piano Concerto was such an event. Bernstein's playing is inhuman, an avalanche of sound. Directing the orchestra at the same time is taking the p---!
Although also available in stereo this copy is a Dutch mono recording. I have a theory that 1950's recordings (this is circa 6/1/1958) are more focused and dynamic in the mono format. Stereo was to come into it's own in the 1960's. My pressing is hot, with the music leaping from the grooves. But more importantly, what a performance!
Cool!   8)  Sounds like you had an amazing listening session!   :)

PD

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 13, 2021, 04:17:05 AM
Cool!   8)  Sounds like you had an amazing listening session!   :)

PD

;)

A strange one, PD. Purchased today a US Everest pressing of RVW 9th Symphony SDBR 3006. All well and good but it is sealed! A label which is a minefield. The Belock originals from the early 1960's are wonderful but post the demise of the company the pressings have a reputation of being awful. The label would settle it but breaking the seal does not appeal to me. The image below is an exact replica. I note the right hand edge has "Hi-Fi LP" not "Stereo" although a stereo recording. What would you do? 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 13, 2021, 07:16:42 AM
;)

A strange one, PD. Purchased today a US Everest pressing of RVW 9th Symphony SDBR 3006. All well and good but it is sealed! A label which is a minefield. The Belock originals from the early 1960's are wonderful but post the demise of the company the pressings have a reputation of being awful. The label would settle it but breaking the seal does not appeal to me. The image below is an exact replica. I note the right hand edge has "Hi-Fi LP" not "Stereo" although a stereo recording. What would you do?
Hi Irons,

I have some info saved somewhere about Everest and pressings.  Will try and find it for you.  Off the top of my head and from what I can recall, the early ones had a narrowish stripe going from top to bottom on the cover by the opening and said something like "An original Belock recording"..maybe including his first name too.  Found this digging around:  Harry Belock was the original owner of Everest and he had his name prominently displayed on the cover.  The first pressings sound fantastic.  Belock soon lost interest and sold.  And the quality went down from there...

Think that I've found an image of an early pressing: 

I'd be tempted to do a bit more research re your cover and dating it.  I think (despite the comments that I found), from what I recall, it wasn't just the first pressings which sounded good.  If I find out more info, I'll happily share it with you.  Are you concerned with returning it to a seller and that's why you're holding off opening it up?  Was it very expensive?

PD

EDIT:  I found the website that I had remembered:  http://vinylbeat.com/cgi-bin/labelfocus.cgi?label=EVEREST&label_section=D,E,F  From what I recall, it was the later reissue ones which were supposedly inferior.