Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 02, 2021, 03:21:29 AM
I googled "The Cartridge Man" and found a short article by Michael Fremer on Analogue Planet announcing the news.  From all of the comments there, it sounds like he was a really generous and kind human being--as well as manufacturing all kinds of neat turntable tools, accessories and equipment.  Did you ever meet him Irons?  I read that he lived in London.  And what is the story about how he introduced you to Supraphon recordings?

PD

Blimey PD brace yourself for a long reply. :o Many years ago I phoned Len regarding his Music Maker cartridge. He invited me over to his house in Croydon which is only a forty minute drive. An experience I will never forget, for starters once seated I had dogs of every shape, size and colour climbing all over me which Len found to be a normal occurrence. His system had me salivating with big Quad Electrostatic speakers driven by vintage BBC valve amps, I can't recall his TT which sported a Hadcock tonearm and of course his Music Maker cartridge. I purchased his cartridge and a few years later bought another. But it is not this I remember about Len, his enthusiasm for the classical LP record that lingers in the mind and introducing the wonders of Supraphon. After many hours listening I walked out of his house with not only a cartridge but a double album of the Prague Quartet playing Mozart as a free gift.
Pre-Covid, Fairfield Halls at Croydon held a record fair twice a year and Len was always in attendance and we had a good chat all things Supraphon. His infectious enthusiasm and personality is something I will not forget and learning today of his passing has made me quite sad.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 02, 2021, 07:33:27 AM
Blimey PD brace yourself for a long reply. :o Many years ago I phoned Len regarding his Music Maker cartridge. He invited me over to his house in Croydon which is only a forty minute drive. An experience I will never forget, for starters once seated I had dogs of every shape, size and colour climbing all over me which Len found to be a normal occurrence. His system had me salivating with big Quad Electrostatic speakers driven by vintage BBC valve amps, I can't recall his TT which sported a Hadcock tonearm and of course his Music Maker cartridge. I purchased his cartridge and a few years later bought another. But it is not this I remember about Len, his enthusiasm for the classical LP record that lingers in the mind and introducing the wonders of Supraphon. After many hours listening I walked out of his house with not only a cartridge but a double album of the Prague Quartet playing Mozart as a free gift.
Pre-Covid, Fairfield Halls at Croydon held a record fair twice a year and Len was always in attendance and we had a good chat all things Supraphon. His infectious enthusiasm and personality is something I will not forget and learning today of his passing has made me quite sad.
Sounds like you had some wonderful times with him and some great memories to cherish.  That said, it's still hard to wrap ones head around the idea that someone is gone--particularly when you had no warning/news ahead of his death.  I'm so sorry for you loss Irons.   :(

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 02, 2021, 10:27:55 AM
Sounds like you had some wonderful times with him and some great memories to cherish.  That said, it's still hard to wrap ones head around the idea that someone is gone--particularly when you had no warning/news ahead of his death.  I'm so sorry for you loss Irons.   :(

PD

Cheers, PD.

I listened last night to Mozart's String Quartet No.20 from the double LP mentioned in previous post. Great piece.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 03, 2021, 12:40:38 AM
Cheers, PD.

I listened last night to Mozart's String Quartet No.20 from the double LP mentioned in previous post. Great piece.
Not at all surprised that you revisited that album; actually, I'd have been more surprised if you hadn't!  ;)

Listening to Papa Haydn at the moment (see current listening thread).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Due to the closure of my favourite (and only) record emporium recently I came to the decision that's it, no more LPs. Not such a bad thing as I have well enough to see out my days.
Could not resist popping in when passing Oxfam in Epsom this morning. I am finding that currently charity shops are losing interest in stocking CDs, let alone LPs. Surprisingly, two boxes with quite a few classical from which I pulled -

My resolution didn't last long! The Mozart is a double LP. "Music from Sweden" is the most interesting, one I have not seen before. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 08, 2021, 06:23:03 AM
Due to the closure of my favourite (and only) record emporium recently I came to the decision that's it, no more LPs. Not such a bad thing as I have well enough to see out my days.
Could not resist popping in when passing Oxfam in Epsom this morning. I am finding that currently charity shops are losing interest in stocking CDs, let alone LPs. Surprisingly, two boxes with quite a few classical from which I pulled -

My resolution didn't last long! The Mozart is a double LP. "Music from Sweden" is the most interesting, one I have not seen before.
And I'm glad that it didn't!  I was just going "Oh, no!!!" when I saw your pictures.  :D ;D

Interesting observation at your end Irons.  Last time I was in a charity shop (probably over a month ago), I noticed that they had upped the prices on their LPs (not sure about the CDs).  They were now priced at either 3 or 4 bucks--I forget wish.  A friend that was with me bought a country LP.

Cool finds:  particularly (for me) the Rostropovich and that Swedish one--bizarre cover on that one!  Is there actually a huge statue of a fish like that?!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Nice finds ... HMV Concert Classics usually have great sound & performances, and I'd like that Swedish one too, that Rosenberg piece seems to be a real rarity ...

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 08, 2021, 06:32:00 AM
And I'm glad that it didn't!  I was just going "Oh, no!!!" when I saw your pictures.  :D ;D

Interesting observation at your end Irons.  Last time I was in a charity shop (probably over a month ago), I noticed that they had upped the prices on their LPs (not sure about the CDs).  They were now priced at either 3 or 4 bucks--I forget wish.  A friend that was with me bought a country LP.

Cool finds:  particularly (for me) the Rostropovich and that Swedish one--bizarre cover on that one!  Is there actually a huge statue of a fish like that?!

PD

Sort of given up with charity shops, PD. I look for boxes - always on the floor - but even Mantovani and Roger Whittaker are becoming in short supply.
Details are given of the cover image of a fish which is a sculpture by Carl Milles.

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 08, 2021, 06:40:59 AM

Nice finds ... HMV Concert Classics usually have great sound & performances, and I'd like that Swedish one too, that Rosenberg piece seems to be a real rarity ...

Agreed, I like Concert Classics too. I guess as every forum member, I don't need another recording of the Dvorak, but Rostropovich swung it.

Yes, what's "Voyage to America" about? The sub-title is Intermezzo; The Railway Fugue. ???

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 08, 2021, 07:28:15 AM
Sort of given up with charity shops, PD. I look for boxes - always on the floor - but even Mantovani and Roger Whittaker are becoming in short supply.
Details are given of the cover image of a fish which is a sculpture by Carl Milles.

Agreed, I like Concert Classics too. I guess as every forum member, I don't need another recording of the Dvorak, but Rostropovich swung it.

Yes, what's "Voyage to America" about? The sub-title is Intermezzo; The Railway Fugue. ???
The condition of the records these days--at least in my neck of the woods--is normally pretty poor.  Must admit, my enthusiasm for wading through them is normally quite low.

PD

p.s.  And thanks for the info re the sculpture!
Pohjolas Daughter

fbjim

Remarkably, one of my latest purchases is a relatively recent release (from the last few years) of Stockhausen piano recordings. Apparently someone is still bothering to press avant-garde music on vinyl- more power to them.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on December 08, 2021, 06:23:03 AM

I would have been surprised and disappointed if it did  :)

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on December 08, 2021, 08:09:36 AM
I would have been surprised and disappointed if it did  :)

;D

The Rosenberg piece is rhythmic with the forward motion of a big steam train without attempting to sound like one. Impressive.

Voyage to America: Intermezzo; The Railway Fugue -  https://youtu.be/z1e-XAL4_SU

Valentino

Breaking the rules with a fortyfive.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

fbjim

I ought to pick up a few classical 45s - they seem pretty rare for whatever reason.

Someone at a store tried to sell me some old 78 albums (the ones which were actually albums, in a bound book) but I had nothing to play them on.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: fbjim on December 08, 2021, 07:34:32 AM
Remarkably, one of my latest purchases is a relatively recent release (from the last few years) of Stockhausen piano recordings. Apparently someone is still bothering to press avant-garde music on vinyl- more power to them.
When was the work composed and when was the LP pressed?  :)

Quote from: Valentino on December 09, 2021, 01:09:55 AM
Breaking the rules with a fortyfive.
Cool!  ;D

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

fbjim

2016, though the works were from the 1950s - this was the release.

https://www.discogs.com/release/8600047-Karlheinz-Stockhausen-Beton-Studie-Zeitmass-F%C3%BCr-F%C3%BCnf-Holzbl%C3%A4ser-Klavierstuck-XI

Haven't actually listened to the thing yet because my record player is currently out of commission  ???

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: fbjim on December 09, 2021, 06:57:25 AM

https://www.discogs.com/release/8600047-Karlheinz-Stockhausen-Beton-Studie-Zeitmass-F%C3%BCr-F%C3%BCnf-Holzbl%C3%A4ser-Klavierstuck-XI

Haven't actually listened to the thing yet because my record player is currently out of commission  ???
Ah, yes, you had mentioned that.  Is it something relatively simple to fix?  Or is there anyone near you who does repairs (and can also let you know whether or not it's worth putting the money into to fix it?)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

fbjim

It's more of a "my player is a cheapo model" issue, though the needle is nice. I've got a triple paycheck month this month plus a Christmas bonus so I'm just going to replace it entirely.

Currently I have my eyes on this one.

https://www.hawthornestereo.com/rega-planar-2-turntable.html

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: fbjim on December 09, 2021, 07:12:39 AM
It's more of a "my player is a cheapo model" issue, though the needle is nice. I've got a triple paycheck month this month plus a Christmas bonus so I'm just going to replace it entirely.
Good luck with it!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: fbjim on December 09, 2021, 06:57:25 AM

Extremely rare I would think. Value will only rise.