Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Irons on January 15, 2022, 12:38:51 AM
Schumann: Violin Concerto.

Posting, I discovered this a Mercury recording without credits on label or cover. Szerying recorded with Haitink the Mendelssohn VC coupled with Tchaikovsky, again released on Philips.

Mercury Living Presence ceased operations in 1968 (according to Wikipedia) and were acquired by Polygram. Mercury recordings were issued on the Philips label starting in the 1970's, but I thought they had Mercury branding. Part of the unique sound of the Mercury LPs were the use of their own cutting system, so I imagine the Philips reissues didn't sound quite the same.

I was curious enough to look up the release history:
https://www.discogs.com/master/781280-Henryk-Szeryng-London-Symphony-Antal-Dorati-Felix-Mendelssohn-Bartholdy-Robert-Schumann-Concerto-In-

It was perhaps more surprising to me that some of the recordings of Barbirolli that now appear on EMI were Mercury productions, originally recorded for Pye-Nixa. For instance, the Dvorak.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Irons

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 15, 2022, 05:15:13 AM
Mercury Living Presence ceased operations in 1968 (according to Wikipedia) and were acquired by Polygram. Mercury recordings were issued on the Philips label starting in the 1970's, but I thought they had Mercury branding. Part of the unique sound of the Mercury LPs were the use of their own cutting system, so I imagine the Philips reissues didn't sound quite the same.

I was curious enough to look up the release history:
https://www.discogs.com/master/781280-Henryk-Szeryng-London-Symphony-Antal-Dorati-Felix-Mendelssohn-Bartholdy-Robert-Schumann-Concerto-In-

It was perhaps more surprising to me that some of the recordings of Barbirolli that now appear on EMI were Mercury productions, originally recorded for Pye-Nixa. For instance, the Dvorak.

Never straightforward delving into the twist and turns of record labels during the LP era. Mercury were first licensed to Pye, which I think are all mono. After Pye, EMI took over and then Philips who  eventually purchased the back-catalogue. I like the British EMI Mercury pressings but some collectors claim they are inferior to the US originals.

You make a good point re cutting of the "mother" by Philips. This may go some way to explain I didn't recognise Szerying as a Mercury recording - that and my cloth ears. :)
Incidentally, the Discogs link did not include my pressing SAL 3504. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Spotted Horses

It is confusing. Some of the Philips issues looked like this:

but later the Mercury branding returned

The latter is a 1982 release, disc made in Holland.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Irons

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 17, 2022, 06:51:01 PM
It is confusing. Some of the Philips issues looked like this:

but later the Mercury branding returned

The latter is a 1982 release, disc made in Holland.

I like the Golden Imports series. Swings and roundabouts comparing UK with pressings from Holland. The former are dynamic but noisier and the latter more even in quality but without the wow factor that can occasionally occur with a "hot" UK pressing. Saying that, there is a house sound from all Philips records I find most attractive no matter where they are pressed.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Irons on January 18, 2022, 12:11:04 AM
I like the Golden Imports series. Swings and roundabouts comparing UK with pressings from Holland. The former are dynamic but noisier and the latter more even in quality but without the wow factor that can occasionally occur with a "hot" UK pressing. Saying that, there is a house sound from all Philips records I find most attractive no matter where they are pressed.

There is something to be said for house sound. My father had this record in the original 1960 Mercury pressing. It had a certain unique sound that is not reproduced on the CDs, even though they were remastered under the supervision of Wilma Cozart herself.

Valentino

I found an original 1957 British pressing. Three discs, but five sides. Everything intact. Sounds like new and quite great too I must say:

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Irons

Quote from: Valentino on January 18, 2022, 01:43:18 PM
I found an original 1957 British pressing. Three discs, but five sides. Everything intact. Sounds like new and quite great too I must say:

Produced by the peerless Walter Legge.

Irons

Mahler: 6th Symphony.

Quite a surprise, not what I expected from a Bernstein performance. A young man in a hurry.

Side 4 is taken up by interviews with associates of Mahler himself including his daughter, Anna.

Valentino

^There is a cutting engineer who's been at tad hot on the controls in one of the tuttis, on side two iirc. But yes Walter Legge was a magician with the equipment available.
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on January 18, 2022, 01:43:18 PM

Very cool!  8)

Do you have a separate mono setup?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

No, I use the same setup and I don't even use a mono switch.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on January 19, 2022, 02:36:58 AM
In any event, glad to hear that you're enjoying them!  Did you have to pay much to get such a nice copy?  Or just a case of being in the right place at the right time?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Valentino on January 19, 2022, 02:36:58 AM

Of course mono LPs produce mono sound on a stereo pickup, but I think there is an issue that modern cartridges with delicate styli don't track the older LPs as well. My father had a Thorens with a Rek-O-Kut tonearm and a Shure M3D cartridge (the first stereo cartridge) and I felt it produced a more appropriate sound than the modern cartridges on the older LPs.

Irons

Respighi: Pines of Rome.

Great sound. A tulips (edge of label) "Alle Hersteller" recording which has the reputation to be the best sound on DG. My copy is not a first pressing which has a red background to the stereo logo on front cover.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 21, 2022, 12:47:12 AM
Respighi: Pines of Rome.

Great sound. A tulips (edge of label) "Alle Hersteller" recording which has the reputation to be the best sound on DG. My copy is not a first pressing which has a red background to the stereo logo on front cover.
Thank you for the reminder; it's been a while since I've checked into those things.  When was it recorded Irons?

Hope to change the pads on my Okki Nokki wand today.  I had ordered them over the holidays.

This is what my RCM looks like.  You put the record down on the rubber-covered mat, screw the little round disc back into place (It holds the record down.).  And then go about your cleaning process.  There are two velvet-like pads that are glued onto the bottom of the wand.  This will be my first attempt at removing them and then applying new ones.  Wish me luck!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 21, 2022, 01:23:47 AM
Thank you for the reminder; it's been a while since I've checked into those things.  When was it recorded Irons?

Hope to change the pads on my Okki Nokki wand today.  I had ordered them over the holidays.

This is what my RCM looks like.  You put the record down on the rubber-covered mat, screw the little round disc back into place (It holds the record down.).  And then go about your cleaning process.  There are two velvet-like pads that are glued onto the bottom of the wand.  This will be my first attempt at removing them and then applying new ones.  Wish me luck!

PD

Your pic does not show up for me PD. Is your Okki Nokki this https://youtu.be/AbXRKjMuPz0
If so a nice piece of kit.

The Maazel is from 1961.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 21, 2022, 01:49:49 AM
Your pic does not show up for me PD. Is your Okki Nokki this https://youtu.be/AbXRKjMuPz0
If so a nice piece of kit.

The Maazel is from 1961.
Yes, it is!  :) Mine's all black though.   Wonder why the pic didn't show up?  It does at my end.  Works pretty well.  I could tell that my pads were getting warn as they were starting to leave behind  some of the cleaning solution--plus I had used them quite a bit.  ;)

Trying to remember what you have Irons?  If I'm recalling correctly, you have one which uses a cleaning "thread" to help get into the grooves?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

I cannot see the pic either, PD, but I also own an Okki NokKi. Mine is the white version.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 21, 2022, 02:48:44 AM
I cannot see the pic either, PD, but I also own an Okki NokKi. Mine is the white version.
Interesting!  I'll try a different pic for those who might be interested:

How do you like yours Fergus?  And do you do anything special/particular re cleaning your records?

PD

p.s.  Can you gents see the above image?

p.p.s.  One thing:  I do wear a decent pair of landscaper-type ear protection though as it is loud!  Something like these

Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Pictures are quite clear now PD.

I find the Okki Nokki to be simple to use and effective.

I like to keep it very simple when I am cleaning my vinyl.
Place LP on platter and switch on.
Clean with dry carbon fibre brush first.
Apply cleaning fluid.
Clean with bristle brush held upright and with not too much pressure in clockwise direction.
Apply vacuum to remove fluid.
Repeat process in anticlockwise direction on same face of LP.

Remove LP and repeat process for second face of LP.

Leave to dry in an upright position.

So, the process is very simple and always the same so I never forget where I am!!

Note: I never use alcohol or any mix of alcohol in a cleaning fluid.