Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valentino

Nah!  ;D
I have my quite domestic 49 years old Thorens TD 125 Mk. II with an original plinth stiffened on the inside, a corian arm board by Konne in Germany and a new electronics board that makes it 78 rpm capable (instead of 16 2/3).

Yeah, I splashed out a bit on that record!

In production is an Alfred Bokrand AB-230 based on the ancient Ortofon AS-212 to replace the SME 3009 Series II Improved. Should be here in four weeks time at most. Waiting for it is a couple of good Audio-Technica headshells and an SME armbase.

Will also need a cartridge for 78 shellac. I guess I'll end up with the Audio-Technica AT-VM95SP.

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on October 19, 2022, 09:52:54 AM
Nah!  ;D
I have my quite domestic 49 years old Thorens TD 125 Mk. II with an original plinth stiffened on the inside, a corian arm board by Konne in Germany and a new electronics board that makes it 78 rpm capable (instead of 16 2/3).

Yeah, I splashed out a bit on that record!

In production is an Alfred Bokrand AB-230 based on the ancient Ortofon AS-212 to replace the SME 3009 Series II Improved. Should be here in four weeks time at most. Waiting for it is a couple of good Audio-Technica headshells and an SME armbase.

Will also need a cartridge for 78 shellac. I guess I'll end up with the Audio-Technica AT-VM95SP.
Cool!  Do you have any old 78's around?  I ended up getting rid of the few that I had.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

Yes, I have some. Most are rubbish, but not all. Must admit that my reason for setting the Thorens up for 78s is to be able to play the records for my father in law who dumped them and a terrible acoustic HMV cabinet without a functioning wind-up on me.  :laugh:
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 19, 2022, 07:37:37 AM
Wow!  Does that require two people to move it?!

PD

Slate Audio also manufactured enclosures for Tannoy speakers. You would need a crane to shift those!

Quote from: Valentino on October 19, 2022, 08:51:25 AM
Indeed not my cup of tea but well executed though.
Stumbled actross this at my local used classical record pusher the other day. There's about NOK 10 in € 1:

Yup, that SME plinth is not my cup of tea either.

Been spinning the below, a barn sale find at NOK 20 in excellent playing condition. I like rhapsodys. Nice folk themes in big arrangements make for easy listening hifi spectaculars:

EO conducts Philly. German CBS release.

SME Garrard plinths were very badly designed. The last thing a beast of a motor which the Garrard is are springs. Mass is the way to tame it, not bouncing around suspended on springs. Linn Sondek they are not.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Valentino

Indeed. Here's a pretty solution with mass (open pic in new tab for size).

It really is a pity that Jelco is out of business. New pretty and reasonably priced arms with Ortofon/JIS/SME headshell connector are scarce. Korf has by the way started to take orders for his 9": https://korfaudio.com/ta-sf9

Irons

Quote from: Valentino on October 20, 2022, 07:51:15 AM
Indeed. Here's a pretty solution with mass (open pic in new tab for size).

It really is a pity that Jelco is out of business. New pretty and reasonably priced arms with Ortofon/JIS/SME headshell connector are scarce. Korf has by the way started to take orders for his 9": https://korfaudio.com/ta-sf9

Surprised Jelco have gone. The Company had a large following for their good quality tonearms at sensible prices. I have not heard of Korf.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on October 15, 2022, 04:13:03 PM

These three vinyl albums also came from a recent find at a local charity shop. The covers are very good and all of the vinyl itself is in terrific condition.

A follow-up on the EMI Eminence issue. This time a reissue of a 1958 The Planets. Considering the vintage sonics are excellent, so much so I jumped out of my skin with the entry of tubular bells (?) in "Saturn"!

Followed by another orchestral blockbuster "The Three Cornered Hat".

Valentino

^Korf is rather refreshing. Started out as a blog about turntable tech, and now has three products. Worth the time.
Site: http://korfaudio.com/
Blog posts per subject: http://korfaudio.com/blog#!/tab/140152181-2

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 19, 2022, 06:53:57 AM
Possibly not your cup of tea but I like slate plinths. High mass ideal for Garrard TTs. I promised myself a slate plinth from Peter Soper's Slate Audio one day. My TT sits on a slate stand made by him and got to know Peter. Unfortunately he went out of business twenty years ago. Today they are rare but one did turn up for sale last year, but for a 301 damn it.
Irons,

Have you heard of these folks?  Lots of slate there!  :)  https://www.northwestanalogue.com/plinths-slate-racks-and-record-pucks.html

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 21, 2022, 01:57:02 AM
Irons,

Have you heard of these folks?  Lots of slate there!  :)  https://www.northwestanalogue.com/plinths-slate-racks-and-record-pucks.html

PD

Oh yes, PD. They refurbished my Ortofon Kontrapunkt C cartridge. I'm aware that from your neck of the woods you would laugh at distances within where I'm from, but Northwest Audio are about far away as it is possible to be in England from my location. Husband and wife team, I have spoken to both over the phone and they are very nice. I would love to visit their listening rooms.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 21, 2022, 07:43:44 AM
Oh yes, PD. They refurbished my Ortofon Kontrapunkt C cartridge. I'm aware that from your neck of the woods you would laugh at distances within where I'm from, but Northwest Audio are about far away as it is possible to be in England from my location. Husband and wife team, I have spoken to both over the phone and they are very nice. I would love to visit their listening rooms.
I've have the feeling that car traffic has become even worse over the years; is that why you're reluctant to visit them?  Or perhaps you could take a train and then either get a cab/bus or rent a car for the last bit?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 21, 2022, 09:17:43 AM
I've have the feeling that car traffic has become even worse over the years; is that why you're reluctant to visit them?  Or perhaps you could take a train and then either get a cab/bus or rent a car for the last bit?

PD

A nine hour round trip and what with price of fuel. Train strikes a regular occurrence, ticket price I dread to think. Not feasible, PD.

Current spinning.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 22, 2022, 12:13:29 AM
A nine hour round trip and what with price of fuel. Train strikes a regular occurrence, ticket price I dread to think. Not feasible, PD.

Current spinning.
Well, perhaps when the price of petrol goes down and you decide that you're ready to treat yourself to a slate plinth--and want to see their slate samples and handiwork and get an estimate?  And perhaps make an overnight trip of it (and check out some local attractions)?

And more Supraphon....yummm!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Just purchased this (£8.50 including P and P). I wonder why Mercury never released this on CD:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 22, 2022, 07:07:00 PM
Just purchased this (£8.50 including P and P). I wonder why Mercury never released this on CD:

Is it a Pye release for the UK Jeffrey or an original US issue? I have the Barber work on Mercury/EMI.

Irons

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 23, 2022, 12:52:23 PM
Spinning Stravinsky.

That one on the right (or should I say "rite") has quite the cover!  How did you find the recording to be?  And did Mrs. Irons also enjoy it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

I have only two LPs featuring Eduardo Mata (the other music of De Falla) PD and both outstanding. A  few "Rites" on my shelves (haven't we all) with far more illustrious names but Mata is far and away the best performance. I fully intend to expand my collection of Eduardo Mata recordings on either CD or LP.   

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 23, 2022, 01:17:06 AM
Is it a Pye release for the UK Jeffrey or an original US issue? I have the Barber work on Mercury/EMI.
I'll let you know when it turns up Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons