Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 23, 2022, 04:02:42 AMInteresting...thank you for deciphering that for me!  :D I had meant to add that the date on Side 2 is 20-11-61.  No date on Side 1.

Is the ending "..AX" used exclusively for Columbia recordings?

As a side note, it's interesting that your example of an EMI Italian recording shows the cover being in Italian and with the same logo that is on my label, but not the cover.  Was that Bruckner example also originally released on Columbia?

PD
Yes, thanks, I know that about SAX recordings.  :)  I don't think that you understood my question:  what I was wondering was whether all (at least during a certain time period perhaps?) were given a "x" AX designation with the "x" meaning some letter--not necessarily "S" as you had mentioned earlier and the difference in the lettering as you had mentioned.

And regarding the red border and cover...that's why I was thinking that the cover didn't "fit" the album (maybe not the border?  I don't know)...due to the differences in logo and colors, not mentioning that it was a stereo recording, etc.  At some point in time, I'll try googling a bit further about this album.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

I don't know PD but certain it is not a time thing, location more likely or stereo/mono. Record companies were secretive with their coding. Columbia mono blue and gold label (UK) are 33CX.

Currently spinning Rubbra.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 23, 2022, 11:25:37 PMI don't know PD but certain it is not a time thing, location more likely or stereo/mono. Record companies were secretive with their coding. Columbia mono blue and gold label (UK) are 33CX.

Currently spinning Rubbra.

Two fine Rubbra discs! I've been listening to the 10th Symphony recently.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 24, 2022, 10:04:30 PMTwo fine Rubbra discs! I've been listening to the 10th Symphony recently.

It was your post that nudged me to play it, Jeffrey.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 24, 2022, 11:02:45 PMIt was your post that nudged me to play it, Jeffrey.
Excellent Lol!
Interesting that the Rubbra 10th LP was partly to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the Late HM in 1977. I remember the LP well with its nice photo of Rubbra on the sleeve.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 26, 2022, 01:38:28 AMExcellent Lol!
Interesting that the Rubbra 10th LP was partly to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the Late HM in 1977. I remember the LP well with its nice photo of Rubbra on the sleeve.

A photo which makes me think of Col Sanders, Jeffrey. :)

A couple of things of interest, beside the music of course which is superb, although released by RCA, an early Chandos production with Brian Couzens as sound engineer. Also sponsored by Harvey's.

This album of music by Edmund Rubbra is the second disc in the Harveys of Bristol English series. A new and exciting collaboration between industry and the arts, the series will combine both the better and lesser-known British composers and works. Devoted to the lovers of English music, it will be played throughout by the Bournemouth Sinfonietta.   

Irons

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 27, 2022, 01:38:21 AMA photo which makes me think of Col Sanders, Jeffrey. :)

A couple of things of interest, beside the music of course which is superb, although released by RCA, an early Chandos production with Brian Couzens as sound engineer. Also sponsored by Harvey's.

This album of music by Edmund Rubbra is the second disc in the Harveys of Bristol English series. A new and exciting collaboration between industry and the arts, the series will combine both the better and lesser-known British composers and works. Devoted to the lovers of English music, it will be played throughout by the Bournemouth Sinfonietta.   
Makes me think that I should have a mid-morning glass of sherry later!  ;D

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on December 03, 2022, 01:17:24 AMMakes me think that I should have a mid-morning glass of sherry later!  ;D

It'll soon be Christmas... you're allowed.  ;D
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 02, 2022, 11:16:09 PMSpinning Kodaly.

I'm envious of you Lol.  I'm sure those are excellent albums!.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 03, 2022, 02:10:59 AMI'm envious of you Lol.  I'm sure those are excellent albums!.

PD

If I recall correctly you are an admirer of his Cello Sonata, PD.

Don't feel down about your team in the footie. They exceeded all expectations and gave England a scare as well.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 04, 2022, 12:42:02 AMIf I recall correctly you are an admirer of his Cello Sonata, PD.

Don't feel down about your team in the footie. They exceeded all expectations and gave England a scare as well.
A Big fan!  ;D

And thanks!  :-*  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Patterson: Concerto for Orchestra.

A late Teldec pressing - still pressing records in 1987 - side 2 includes both Missa brevis and Europhony with timing total at 34.32! Complete with the smallest run-out groove I have ever seen. Thanks to DMM (Direct Metal Mastering) technology without loss in dynamics or sound quality.

Not 100% sure but think Patterson is the only living Classical composer featuring on LP record on my shelves. Have a lot of dead people though. :D 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 06, 2022, 11:26:12 PMPatterson: Concerto for Orchestra.

A late Teldec pressing - still pressing records in 1987 - side 2 includes both Missa brevis and Europhony with timing total at 34.32! Complete with the smallest run-out groove I have ever seen. Thanks to DMM (Direct Metal Mastering) technology without loss in dynamics or sound quality.

Not 100% sure but think Patterson is the only living Classical composer featuring on LP record on my shelves. Have a lot of dead people though. :D
I was going to suggest Birtwhistle, but I see that he died in April of this year.

I'll bet that some of the contemporary composers have released some recordings on LP.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

I dare say they have, PD. I was referring to LPs I own. Came up with a few, Michael Berkeley for one and  Alexander Goehr is still with us aged 90 also at 86 David Blake.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 07, 2022, 08:03:02 AMI dare say they have, PD. I was referring to LPs I own. Came up with a few, Michael Berkeley for one and  Alexander Goehr is still with us aged 90 also at 86 David Blake.
So, you haven't purchased any contemporary British composer's music (yet?) on LP?  All CDs?

But good digging/sleuthing at your end!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on December 02, 2022, 11:16:09 PMSpinning Kodaly.

The Dorati/Decca looks so so cool!
I will use the cover art for my album on iPod.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 07, 2022, 09:23:33 AMThe Dorati/Decca looks so so cool!
It is a great cover.  Love the painting and the use of color and print in the cover design.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 07, 2022, 09:23:33 AMThe Dorati/Decca looks so so cool!

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 07, 2022, 09:43:08 AMIt is a great cover.  Love the painting and the use of color and print in the cover design.  :)

PD

Agreed. The artist is Caesar Kunwald. The LP above is Vol.1. I also own Vol.3 featuring a cover by the same artist.

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm curious here to know if anyone else has heard and/or has recordings by the Lithunian String Quartet?

I ran across an upload on youtube (when I was trying to find any recordings by the Beethoven String Quartet) of B's No. 5.  It was on a 10-inch LP on Melodiya.  Apparently, they went through several name iterations (minor variances)--or maybe this was due more to the production at the label's end?  In any event, I quite enjoyed it.  Discogs has some info about the group there.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter