Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 01, 2023, 11:27:50 PMEven charity shop prefer card payment these days, PD.

Managed to find a nice copy of the Cyril Smith & Phyllis Sellick LP that Jeffrey recommended above. Unless desperate for a particular LP I only purchase on eBay from trusted sellers. To paraphrase the Queen near mint may vary. York Records have a huge stock but I had to go elsewhere for this one. Delighted with the service from Marks Records. They don't use Royal Mail which is a good start, the record and cover are pristine and as well as cleaned by the seller a rice paper inner sleeve for protection is included. I will use Marks Records again in the future.
You would think that the fees charged to them by the credit card processing companies would make them prefer cash payments?  Though at least in the early days of Covid, more vendors of smaller purchases (like at the farmers' markets) had themselves set up to use credit/debit cards.  It does cut down quite a bit on physical contact to be sure.

Glad that you are happy with your recent purchase!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

Frohes Neujahr!
Was given (!) some 500 LPs just before Christmas. Lots of opera with about one foot each of Verdi and Wagner. Nice recordings, most of them. Have washed (people used to smoke cigarettes, remember?) the VPO/Solti Tannhaüser - Paris version today and given it a listen. Sounds excellent and energetic, the Decca and Solti way. Very pleased.

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on January 02, 2023, 04:13:30 AMFrohes Neujahr!
Was given (!) some 500 LPs just before Christmas. Lots of opera with about one foot each of Verdi and Wagner. Nice recordings, most of them. Have washed (people used to smoke cigarettes, remember?) the VPO/Solti Tannhaüser - Paris version today and given it a listen. Sounds excellent and energetic, the Decca and Solti way. Very pleased.

500 LPs!  Wow!  Who was the kind benefactor?  And how are you going to store all of them?  I suspect in boxes for the time being.  :)

In any event, enjoy!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

Thanks!
I walked into my local used vinyl pusher and asked him if he could give me a call next time he received a classic collection. He pointed at the boxes mid floor and said:
- Do you want those?
Thing is there is very little money in used classical LPs (gems are far between) and he does not know classical music and how to price it.

The wife was not amused..., but I have a nice old IKEA shelf (similar to Kallax, but discontinued) with just the right dimensions for LPs in the home office. Lots ogf books there that will fit in the boxes!

Must say that these latest reissues of the Solti Ring are nice. So far Rheingold and Walküre. Great sounding LPs, and the Rheingold remaster is unbelievably good. Smart move by Culshaw and the Decca boys not to use noise reduction on the master tapes back in 1958.
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on January 02, 2023, 06:36:25 AMThanks!
I walked into my local used vinyl pusher and asked him if he could give me a call next time he received a classic collection. He pointed at the boxes mid floor and said:
- Do you want those?
Thing is there is very little money in used classical LPs (gems are far between) and he does not know classical music and how to price it.

The wife was not amused..., but I have a nice old IKEA shelf (similar to Kallax, but discontinued) with just the right dimensions for LPs in the home office. Lots ogf books there that will fit in the boxes!
 :o
Must say that these latest reissues of the Solti Ring are nice. So far Rheingold and Walküre. Great sounding LPs, and the Rheingold remaster is unbelievably good. Smart move by Culshaw and the Decca boys not to use noise reduction on the master tapes back in 1958.
Wow, so he gave them to you for free?!  And that included the Solti reissues?!!! If I'm recalling correctly, those latest pressings were quite expensive?

Hope that they are all in good shape.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

Ah, no. Those Solti Ring reissues are new and not free at all, at something like €130 each. https://www.soltiring.com/

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 01, 2023, 11:27:50 PMEven charity shop prefer card payment these days, PD.

Managed to find a nice copy of the Cyril Smith & Phyllis Sellick LP that Jeffrey recommended above. Unless desperate for a particular LP I only purchase on eBay from trusted sellers. To paraphrase the Queen near mint may vary. York Records have a huge stock but I had to go elsewhere for this one. Delighted with the service from Marks Records. They don't use Royal Mail which is a good start, the record and cover are pristine and as well as cleaned by the seller a rice paper inner sleeve for protection is included. I will use Marks Records again in the future.
Great to hear Lol. I'm a fan of every work on that disc. A pity that the Jacob never made it to CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Valentino

The Franck piece here seems very good (I haven't heard it before) and the blue label Supraphon sound is good too. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on January 03, 2023, 03:25:53 AM

The Franck piece here seems very good (I haven't heard it before) and the blue label Supraphon sound is good too.
Who is playing the pieces?

And, sorry, you had confused me earlier by switching your posting to the Solti Ring remasters; I had thought that you had been given those as part of the 500 freebies from your record dealer (still a great, great deal...you owe him one for that!  ;)  :)  ).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 03, 2023, 03:35:19 AMWho is playing the pieces?

PD

You are not asking me but the Foerster Trio, PD.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 03, 2023, 07:24:37 AMYou are not asking me but the Foerster Trio, PD.
Thanks!  :)

Do you know that album Lol?  I know that you have a lot of Supraphon LPs.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

^Sorry PD. Forgot that I had cut the band name from that pic. Of course it is the Foerster Trio playing. Irons is on the ball as usual.

Irons

Quote from: Valentino on January 03, 2023, 09:38:41 AM^Sorry PD. Forgot that I had cut the band name from that pic. Of course it is the Foerster Trio playing. Irons is on the ball as usual.

Interested to hear your view. After a good start (first movement) I felt inspiration fell away a bit. Nothing wrong with either performance or recording.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Valentino

I'm not alone then. I thought the funeral march or maybe here comes your terrible fate-like first movement was the most interesting of the three. Mind you, this is based on one spin, and I was moving about too, so well executed ideas might have slipped by.

Irons

Spinning.

Brahms: Piano Quintet in F Minor.

Irons

Impressed with this review of an affordable turntable. I would expect to pay much more for the build quality and inclusion of cartridge and phono-pre.

https://youtu.be/z2gPRLgJVOw

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 09, 2023, 11:50:01 PMImpressed with this review of an affordable turntable. I would expect to pay much more for the build quality and inclusion of cartridge and phono-pre.

https://youtu.be/z2gPRLgJVOw
Thanks for that link.  Enjoyed watching and listening to his review of it.  Good to hear that there are folks out there trying to design things that aren't all budget-breakers and/or pieces of garbage.  I'll keep it in mind if I run into someone who is looking for an inexpensive but decent turntable.

PD

p.s.  Nice to see that it also has a removable head shell too!
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 10, 2023, 02:50:16 AMThanks for that link.  Enjoyed watching and listening to his review of it.  Good to hear that there are folks out there trying to design things that aren't all budget-breakers and/or pieces of garbage.  I'll keep it in mind if I run into someone who is looking for an inexpensive but decent turntable.

PD

p.s.  Nice to see that it also has a removable head shell too!

My thoughts exactly.

fbjim

I purchased a cheap Technics from the 70s (one of their lower end belt-drive models) and love it. With the build quality I'd put it with any of the "entry audiophile" tables from Pro-Ject and the like.

fbjim

Also pop record prices remain through the roof due to collectors but $20 still goes a long way at the classical section