Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: fbjim on January 10, 2023, 09:55:16 AMAlso pop record prices remain through the roof due to collectors but $20 still goes a long way at the classical section

Nice!  Hope that you enjoy that Janacek one in particular.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: fbjim on January 10, 2023, 09:41:07 AMI purchased a cheap Technics from the 70s (one of their lower end belt-drive models) and love it. With the build quality I'd put it with any of the "entry audiophile" tables from Pro-Ject and the like.

The Technics SL-1200 series of turntables must be the most famous ever made. Introduced in the 1970's as a mass-produced TT. DJ's of the period took it up due to its robust build quality, followed by the audiophile fraternity because it sounded so good. The series was reintroduced a few years ago and sells well. The only snag a budget TT of the 70's now sells for nearly £2000.  
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

fbjim

The Janacek is great - I also have a London Digital recording of Mackerras doing Taras Bulba and the Sinfonietta that I adore.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: fbjim on January 12, 2023, 09:29:29 AMThe Janacek is great - I also have a London Digital recording of Mackerras doing Taras Bulba and the Sinfonietta that I adore.

Mackerras and Czech music in general was brilliant! You're in good hands with his recordings. If/or when you can swing it, I'd suggest that you check out (sorry, no pun intended) his "Life With Czech Music" CDs (There are two sets).  There's also a wonderful dvd of him performing Janacek on Supraphon.  Also, he recorded a number of Janacek's operas too.

By the way, if you didn't already know, he was (at one point in time) president (I believe was his official title?) of the British Dvorak Society for Czech and Slovak Music....he had spent time studying in Czechoslovakia when he was younger and made it a mission to bring the music to the British people conducting a lot of premiere performances there.  :)  https://www.dvorak-society.org/?s=Mackerras

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Spinning.

Nystroem: Sinfonia del mare.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Valentino

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Irons

Quote from: Valentino on January 15, 2023, 11:25:19 PMSpinning the local hero.

Interesting. Didn't know of the release so looked it up. A double album by a top artist on new vinyl at not an outrageous price. Thanks for bringing it to attention.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on January 15, 2023, 11:25:19 PMSpinning the local hero.

How do you like the work and the performance?  I don't recall ever hearing it before now.

And how do you find the recording quality and sound to be?

Quote from: Irons on January 16, 2023, 12:11:34 AMInteresting. Didn't know of the release so looked it up. A double album by a top artist on new vinyl at not an outrageous price. Thanks for bringing it to attention.
Lol,

Have you heard any recordings/performances of this work yourself?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

I am aware Dvorak wrote for piano PD only through coming across a Supraphon LP occasionally. That is about as far as I know.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 16, 2023, 07:48:33 AMI am aware Dvorak wrote for piano PD only through coming across a Supraphon LP occasionally. That is about as far as I know.
I have some of his smaller works with I want to say Firkusny--maybe Kvapil?  And have a couple of recordings of his piano concerto, but I think that one of them is going to be either donated or used as credit at local record shop.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 16, 2023, 08:15:52 AMI have some of his smaller works with I want to say Firkusny--maybe Kvapil?  And have a couple of recordings of his piano concerto, but I think that one of them is going to be either donated or used as credit at local record shop.

PD

I forgot about PC. Richter was an advocate and I have his recording on LP but I cannot recall anything about the work. In fact think it likely I have not played it. :-[

Valentino

These Dvorak pieces are quite charming. Andsnes' playing is his usual good. Whe works have not been recorded much, but IIRC they're (or have been) in the Supraphon catalogue with Chech players.

The Andsnes' recording is brilliant. Quite explosive at times. The usual cheating of using close and distant miking. Nice sound check for any record player if you're into that sort of thing (as I am).
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Irons

Spinning: Ravel.

Le Tombeau de Couperin.

Concerto for Left Hand.  Alica De Larrocha with Lawrence Foster and LPO.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 25, 2023, 11:55:47 PMSpinning: Ravel.

Le Tombeau de Couperin.

Concerto for Left Hand.  Alica De Larrocha with Lawrence Foster and LPO.
Nice!  I haven't heard those particular recordings but I do appreciate Ms. de Larrocha's playing.  I've heard of Francois before but don't recall having heard any of his recordings before now.

I decided to do a bit of digging through my LPs (don't have much Ravel) and pulled out an Andre Previn one.  Alas it hit a repetitive skip on Side 2, so that will have to get a better cleaning!   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 26, 2023, 07:58:35 AMNice!  I haven't heard those particular recordings but I do appreciate Ms. de Larrocha's playing.  I've heard of Francois before but don't recall having heard any of his recordings before now.

I decided to do a bit of digging through my LPs (don't have much Ravel) and pulled out an Andre Previn one.  Alas it hit a repetitive skip on Side 2, so that will have to get a better cleaning!   :(

PD

Previn, one of my favourite conductors, unaware Ravel part of his repertoire. Had a look and he has recorded lots.

To stop a stylus in its tracks is usually a piece of crud. I examine the vinyl under a strong light and pick off the hard blob with a fingernail. Always works for me.

Valentino

In other news my next tonearm has boarded a flight from Spain.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 26, 2023, 11:52:03 PMPrevin, one of my favourite conductors, unaware Ravel part of his repertoire. Had a look and he has recorded lots.

To stop a stylus in its tracks is usually a piece of crud. I examine the vinyl under a strong light and pick off the hard blob with a fingernail. Always works for me.
Thanks, I'll take a look at it (after some coffee).  This is the album that I own:

Quote from: Valentino on January 27, 2023, 02:53:15 AMIn other news my next tonearm has boarded a flight from Spain.
Cool.  Hope that you enjoy it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2023, 03:46:33 AMThanks, I'll take a look at it (after some coffee).  This is the album that I own:

Cool.  Hope that you enjoy it!

PD

A new one on me, PD.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 27, 2023, 07:01:09 AMA new one on me, PD.
What?!  There's an album that you haven't seen?!  :o

Just kidding...though have you done a recent count of how many LPs you do own?  :)

In any event, it was recorded in 1986 and the one that I have was pressed in Germany.  And it's off to take a spin on my Okki Nokki in a few minutes (I desperately need a break from sorting through and disposing of some old paperwork).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2023, 07:31:51 AMWhat?!  There's an album that you haven't seen?!  :o

Just kidding...though have you done a recent count of how many LPs you do own?  :)

In any event, it was recorded in 1986 and the one that I have was pressed in Germany.  And it's off to take a spin on my Okki Nokki in a few minutes (I desperately need a break from sorting through and disposing of some old paperwork).

PD

I am always amazed how many records I have not seen. My wife voices a more accurate count on my shelves with too many!