Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Only one bricks and mortar source remaining for vinyl in my neck of the woods. An Oxfam media store, CDs are cheap at £2 a pop but LPs prices are steadily rising. Shocked at what  they are asking for some of my donations! Visiting yesterday I purchased the four below, particularly pleased with the rare Alwyn issue.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 29, 2023, 12:48:26 AMOnly one bricks and mortar source remaining for vinyl in my neck of the woods. An Oxfam media store, CDs are cheap at £2 a pop but LPs prices are steadily rising. Shocked at what  they are asking for some of my donations! Visiting yesterday I purchased the four below, particularly pleased with the rare Alwyn issue.

I know (re price increases)!  Well, like everyone, they have learned that vinyl is hot again--though looking at the condition of a number of LPs that I've examined at a local charity shop, the condition of many of them are not very good and/or they often have not the best selection in terms of things that I or most people would want to buy to begin with.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 29, 2023, 05:21:58 AMI know (re price increases)!  Well, like everyone, they have learned that vinyl is hot again--though looking at the condition of a number of LPs that I've examined at a local charity shop, the condition of many of them are not very good and/or they often have not the best selection in terms of things that I or most people would want to buy to begin with.  :(

PD

This particular store caters for media only i.e. books, sheet music, CDs and LPs. Handily there are a couple of easy chairs by the shop front windows. After making a selection I make myself comfortable and cast a beady eye over my protentional purchases (CDs too). I rejected due to condition DSCH 5th Symphony, Rozhdestvensky, Rite of Spring, Colin Davis and a third that escapes my memory. Not full-proof but through experience I know what to look for regarding vinyl condition.

Fuzzy pic from inside the store. As can be seen not many LPs for sale, on some occasions I leave empty-handed.     
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 29, 2023, 11:58:55 PMThis particular store caters for media only i.e. books, sheet music, CDs and LPs. Handily there are a couple of easy chairs by the shop front windows. After making a selection I make myself comfortable and cast a beady eye over my protentional purchases (CDs too). I rejected due to condition DSCH 5th Symphony, Rozhdestvensky, Rite of Spring, Colin Davis and a third that escapes my memory. Not full-proof but through experience I know what to look for regarding vinyl condition.

Fuzzy pic from inside the store. As can be seen not many LPs for sale, on some occasions I leave empty-handed.     
Oh, nice!  The place that I sometimes visit (the charity shop one) has a combo of almost everything:  clothing, books, LPs, CDs, as well as kitchen items and "artwork"....  No place to sit alas.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

^It's quite enjoyable, yes.

Actually the Denon DL-301II pictured is not quite happy, the arm is probably too heavy for it. I've put my old Audio-Technica AT-OC10 in, and it is marvellous. I put a picture with it in the System thread, which is quite fun now with the kontrapunkt between antiquated vinyl and hypermodern streaming playback.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on February 06, 2023, 12:23:07 PM^It's quite enjoyable, yes.

Actually the Denon DL-301II pictured is not quite happy, the arm is probably too heavy for it. I've put my old Audio-Technica AT-OC10 in, and it is marvellous. I put a picture with it in the System thread, which is quite fun now with the kontrapunkt between antiquated vinyl and hypermodern streaming playback.
How can you tell that an arm is too heavy for a system?  Couldn't you just adjust the counterweight?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

It's inertia, so equivalent tonearm mass. A Rega or modern SME arm is something like 11 g, this one is maybe 26 g with the headshells I have.
Balancing it is not a problem, it's the suspension that's almost bottoming out due to excessive low frequency stylus movement.
Vinyl is fun! Sold the Denon today btw.
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Spotted Horses

Curiosity got the better of me (even though I threw out all of my LPs a decade ago) and looked up turntables on Crutchfield. They all seem to have built in pre-amps and even blue tooth output. I'm guess that would be considered heresy in this thread. :)

(I've already made my fantasy selection, Audio-Technica AT-LP3XBT.)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Valentino

Nah, but if you're not into tinkering or have some records that are unobtainium in other formats why bother with LPs? Digital almost always sounds better.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Valentino on February 07, 2023, 05:35:43 AMNah, but if you're not into tinkering of have some records that are unobtainium in other formats why bother with LPs? Digital almost always sounds better.

I threw out one LP, unavailable on CD, that I thought I had copied to audio files, then found out that I somehow lost the audio file. I was tempted to get a turntable and buy that one record on eBay. But I just found out my new hometown has a record shop, and one of the services they offer is copying LPs to digital files. Might go for it.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Irons

Spinning.

Elgar: Falstaff - Symphonic Study.

For me Adrian Boult is the supreme Elgarian so it came as some surprise that I preferred Handley. Boult's Falstaff came over as a plodder where as with Handley clownish.
One area that the EMI recording scored was bass. Boult shook the floor, CFP did not.

Valentino

This Solti Paris Tannhäuser (note the scratch right across) was basically unplayable with the Denon DL301II. With the AT33PTG/II I cannot hear it. Get yourself a MicroLine/Microridge/SAS stylus and be happy.

Great recording btw.

Valentino

The op. 80 sonata is a new find for me, and these two play it rather well too I think. Audiophile label, 1970.

Irons

Beethoven: Violin Sonata 'Spring'.

Recorded at Finchcocks the stately home of Richard Burnett and his large collection of historical keyboards.

Valentino

How is that? To me unknown performers and label.

aligreto

I have not posted here in some time but I picked up a wonderful set in a Charity Shop yesterday

It looks to be in superb condition.

Irons

Quote from: Valentino on February 18, 2023, 03:42:12 AMHow is that? To me unknown performers and label.

Amon Ra are an offshoot of Saydisc records. The label was founded in the early 1980's concentrating on HIP chamber music. Most, if not all the recordings were made with the superb acoustics of Finchcocks and I heartily recommend them on CD or LP.   

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on February 18, 2023, 05:32:30 AMI have not posted here in some time but I picked up a wonderful set in a Charity Shop yesterday

A famous old set and very highly rated - looks like a great find Fergus.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on February 19, 2023, 01:31:56 AMA famous old set and very highly rated - looks like a great find Fergus.

Cheers Jeffrey, I have the set on CD but I was not going to walk past a vinyl set in good condition  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on February 18, 2023, 05:32:30 AMI have not posted here in some time but I picked up a wonderful set in a Charity Shop yesterday

Oh, nice!  I can't see the image, but I did see that it was of Dvorak and Kertesz.  :)   Enjoy!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter