Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 28, 2023, 05:26:20 AMI shall be eternally grateful to Jeffrey for introducing this work to me.
We are blessed with two outstanding recordings; on a Chandos double CD Philharmonia conducted by Mathias Bambert and for LP this https://youtu.be/Sf2qJGD7RbE
I would not be without either.

I'm delighted that you enjoy Hadley's 'The Trees So High' Lol - his masterpiece I think (although recently I've been enjoying 'The Hills'). I agree that both recordings of The Trees So High are fabulous and with the Chandos twofer you get Sainton's 'Nadir' and 'The Island' included which are both fine works. I've seen The Trees So High referred to, disparagingly, as like 'Vaughan Williams with water'. I totally disagree with this view as, for all its great beauty, VW's music has a curiously impersonal quality to it, whereas Hadley's 'The Trees So High' is an intimate and personal work (for all the stylistic influences of VW) dealing with the transience of human existence.
I owe the GMG Forum some great discoveries as well, especially Kabelac's magnificent 'Mystery of Time' and Fricker's 'Vision of Judgment'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on March 22, 2023, 07:16:58 AMContemporary Music from Sweden

A fine old Turnabout LP - part of my introduction to Rosenberg.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

After a hiatus since March 8th back spinning.

The "flawed" 1st Symphony is my favourite of the three by a margin.

Rachmaninov's chamber works are small in number with the Cello Sonata a masterpiece.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 10, 2023, 07:52:15 AMAfter a hiatus since March 8th back spinning.

Rachmaninov's chamber works are small in number with the Cello Sonata a masterpiece.

Yay!  You're back spinning!  Hurrah!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 10, 2023, 07:52:15 AMAfter a hiatus since March 8th back spinning.

Love the cover art of the Rachmaninov 1st Symphony Lol. It's also my favourite of the three. Robert Simpson in his chapter on Rachmaninov in the Penguin Book of the Symphony), Vol.2 'Elgar to the Present Day' regretted that Rachmaninov had not persevered down the path of the 1st Symphony.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2023, 02:41:51 PMLove the cover art of the Rachmaninov 1st Symphony Lol. It's also my favourite of the three. Robert Simpson in his chapter on Rachmaninov in the Penguin Book of the Symphony), Vol.2 'Elgar to the Present Day' regretted that Rachmaninov had not persevered down the path of the 1st Symphony.

Good to know I am not alone thinking that, Jeffrey.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Britten: Sinfonietta.

Members of the Vienna Octet: Werner Tripp-Flute. Karl Mayrhofer-Oboe. Alfred Boskovsky-Clarinet. Ernst Pamperi-Bassoon. Josef Veleba-Horn. Anton Fietz & Philipp Matheis-Violin. Gunther Breitenbach-Viola. Emanuel Brabec-Cello. Otto Ruhm-Double Bass.

Vaughan Williams: Songs of Travel.

Robert Tear with Philip Ledger (piano)

The Schubertian Songs of Travel are at least as good as On Wenlock Edge IMO. An outstanding collection of nine songs, with one, Youth and Love as beautiful as anything from RVW.

Irons

Quote from: absolutelybaching on April 12, 2023, 09:14:04 AMThat was an early LP buy for me, the Britten/Hindemith one. Fond memories of borrowing from the library and being wowed by the only then-current recording of Britten's Opus 1. Thank you for the trip down memory lane...

You are most welcome. Sound is most impressive BTW.

Irons

Ida Haendel refrains from indulgence. Straight and clear which is so right for this composer. 

Valentino

Pardon me if this has been covered in my absence.
Deutsche Grammophon The Original Source, for the audiophile in you:
https://www.the-original-source.com/

I like the idea of newfangled oldfashioness and I have on order the Schubert Trout quintet.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on April 19, 2023, 11:45:15 PMPardon me if this has been covered in my absence.
Deutsche Grammophon The Original Source, for the audiophile in you:
https://www.the-original-source.com/

I like the idea of newfangled oldfashioness and I have on order the Schubert Trout quintet.
Oooh!  Where do they list what they will be releasing (or did I miss it?)?

Ah, never mind, the "list" is here (click on arrows on the sides to advance or to go back):  Just click on "home" (top of page) to see the images of upcoming releases.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

The Kleiber LvB7 was listed as sold out for a while but not any more. I don't know how they've made more available. Did they cut one more "positive" on the lathe, did they decide to press more from the original negatives, or did they produce additional negatives from the original positive? Audiophile me ground loops!
Apart from that I have the "Originals" CD coupling with no. 5 so I was fine with it being sold out.
Looking forward to further releases.
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Irons

A 1960 British pressing from EMI. Not quite as dynamic as the US original but still impressive.

An audiophile pressing by Classic Records released in 2010.

Irons

Concert Classics Series a mid-price EMI label. Some interesting information on Discogs including the fact of a total 517 reissues.
SXLP 30126 features Sargent conducting Warlock and Holst (St. Paul's Suite) from 1966 with Elgar and Holst again (Beni Mora) from 1971. I was particularly impressed with Sargent's rendition of both Holst's works.

Irons

All planets aligned for this recording of Prokofiev's 1st Violin Concerto. Do not know much of Erick Friedman but he is a man inspired in this rendition along with Leinsdorf and his Boston orchestra. Absolutely first class.

Again soloist and support are first class here but the Symphony-Concerto is a work I am less familiar with.

Both recordings are produced by Richard Mohr and engineered by the legendary Lewis Layton. RCA produced many great records in the 1960's with this team.
Both are Decca pressings and although the Dynagroove inscription on the cover is retained they chose to omit the process during mastering, a wise decision. It is said without RCA's permission, my guess Decca didn't tell them.

André Le Nôtre

Record stores in Madrid? Barcelona? (Granada? San Sebastian?)

One in Barcelona is mentioned in a guide book--Casa Beethoven

Any others?

Valentino

Three new titles announced in the DG The Original Source series, so there's now seven available for preorder.
https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p30-i3200?onChangeLanguage=1&language_id=EN

Irons

A couple of Prokofiev ballets.

A late Melodiya recording licensed to EMI.

Out of the two I enjoyed the rustic The Stone Flower the most.

My copy a Decca wide band.

Pohjolas Daughter

Purchased some used classical LPs today (along with 2 new non-c albums; if interested, check out the Diner).

Bartok's string quartets on DG Gesellschaft with the "Ungarisches Streichquartett" (in mono).
Also on same label:  Emil Gilels playing Mozart piano sonatas (in stereo) 2530 061
Same label:  Janacek:  The Diary of One Who Vanished with Kay Griffel, Ernst Haefliger & Kubelik (Stereo)
Same label:  Sibelius' Sym. Nos. 6 & 7 with HvK and Berlin (Stereo)
Dvorak piano works with Kvapil (Supraphon 1 11 0865 in stereo)
Lastly:  a combo of various Swedish composers (Nystroem, Rangström and Johanson) on a new-to-me label called Caprice CAP 1109 (in stereo).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2023, 02:37:40 PMPurchased some used classical LPs today (along with 2 new non-c albums; if interested, check out the Diner).

Bartok's string quartets on DG Gesellschaft with the "Ungarisches Streichquartett" (in mono).
Also on same label:  Emil Gilels playing Mozart piano sonatas (in stereo) 2530 061
Same label:  Janacek:  The Diary of One Who Vanished with Kay Griffel, Ernst Haefliger & Kubelik (Stereo)
Same label:  Sibelius' Sym. Nos. 6 & 7 with HvK and Berlin (Stereo)
Dvorak piano works with Kvapil (Supraphon 1 11 0865 in stereo)
Lastly:  a combo of various Swedish composers (Nystroem, Rangström and Johanson) on a new-to-me label called Caprice CAP 1109 (in stereo).

PD

Nice haul, PD.

The Caprice issue caught my eye. I like Rangstrom's symphonies a lot but not heard the piece featured on your LP.