Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 01, 2023, 03:31:59 AMI like his paintings--particularly his landscapes and ones with owls in them.  "The Murdering Diva" is rather amusing too.  :)  https://www.peterbarkerfineart.co.uk/products/the-murdering-diva-by-keith-hensby

PD

If I had a listening room which sadly I have not, for £300 a Hensby painting ticks a lot of boxes.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 01, 2023, 07:28:30 AMWas that released on LP, Jeffrey?
I'm not sure Lol - maybe not.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 01, 2023, 07:34:58 AMIf I had a listening room which sadly I have not, for £300 a Hensby painting ticks a lot of boxes.
Do you think that "the missus" might not just enjoy the artwork for what it is?

I'm on the lookout for an old "statue" [or whatever you call it] of Nipper.  :) I have an inexpensive magnet of "His Master's Voice" on my fridge....and I'm a cat person!  ;D

PD

EDIT:  Decided I would do a quick google to get an idea what statues of Nipper are going for these days and ran across this article.  Had no idea that such things existed!  Will have to see if I can see this "little fella" next time that I head out towards Albany.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-worlds-largest-terrier-mascot-menands-new-york
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 15, 2023, 09:11:29 AMHi PD - No worries (HAHAHA)  ;D
Here is the CD version of the Janacek disc:

That really was a bargain; I bought the same album at full price and still have the LPs.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 02, 2023, 04:31:26 AMDo you think that "the missus" might not just enjoy the artwork for what it is?

I'm on the lookout for an old "statue" [or whatever you call it] of Nipper.  :) I have an inexpensive magnet of "His Master's Voice" on my fridge....and I'm a cat person!  ;D

PD

EDIT:  Decided I would do a quick google to get an idea what statues of Nipper are going for these days and ran across this article.  Had no idea that such things existed!  Will have to see if I can see this "little fella" next time that I head out towards Albany.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-worlds-largest-terrier-mascot-menands-new-york

You mention statues, PD.

Many years ago, at least thirty, I used a rat-run to avoid rush hour traffic in Putney High Street. In the back streets I passed a shop selling old stuff and in the window I spied Schubert. On my half day I tracked back to see if I could make a purchase. I had no idea how much Schubert would cost and asking the assistant how much, stunned to silence as much less then I was expecting. He misread my reaction and cut the price thinking I was not prepared to pay the asking price. I am useless at haggling but that day a master. ;D   

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 02, 2023, 07:30:22 AMYou mention statues, PD.

Many years ago, at least thirty, I used a rat-run to avoid rush hour traffic in Putney High Street. In the back streets I passed a shop selling old stuff and in the window I spied Schubert. On my half day I tracked back to see if I could make a purchase. I had no idea how much Schubert would cost and asking the assistant how much, stunned to silence as much less then I was expecting. He misread my reaction and cut the price thinking I was not prepared to pay the asking price. I am useless at haggling but that day a master. ;D   

lol.  Good job there!  And are those individual shelving units for your CDs?

By the way, the mother of a friend of mine loved Beethoven so much that (many years ago) she had a bronze bust made of him.  ;D

What did you think of the huge Nipper?  Here are some photos of him for those who don't feel like reading the article:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 02, 2023, 08:15:06 AMlol.  Good job there!  And are those individual shelving units for your CDs?

By the way, the mother of a friend of mine loved Beethoven so much that (many years ago) she had a bronze bust made of him.  ;D

What did you think of the huge Nipper?  Here are some photos of him for those who don't feel like reading the article:

PD

I notice in the link that Nipper is staring down the throat of a different machine then the original painting. Sad that a great company like RCA are "defunct".

PD, I'm no carpenter, so my workmanship is well hidden with floating CDs.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 02, 2023, 07:30:22 AMYou mention statues, PD.

I like your CD arranging by labels Lol. One of the old London record shops (Imhoffs?) arranged their LPs like that.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 03, 2023, 12:03:34 AMI notice in the link that Nipper is staring down the throat of a different machine then the original painting. Sad that a great company like RCA are "defunct".

PD, I'm no carpenter, so my workmanship is well hidden with floating CDs.
It sounds like, from the article, that he painted that theme several times.  Personally, I'll pass on purchasing a 28 foot tall Nipper--too big for my living room.

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2023, 12:33:47 AMI like your CD arranging by labels Lol. One of the old London record shops (Imhoffs?) arranged their LPs like that.
I had thought that that was what he had done (arranging by label)!  Problem though is what do you do if you don't either have the original release (and now "x" label is now part of "y" company--feel free to insert "Sony" here for "y")?  That, or you buy it as part of a boxed set which has been licensed from the original company?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 03, 2023, 04:30:14 AMIt sounds like, from the article, that he painted that theme several times.  Personally, I'll pass on purchasing a 28 foot tall Nipper--too big for my living room.
I had thought that that was what he had done (arranging by label)!  Problem though is what do you do if you don't either have the original release (and now "x" label is now part of "y" company--feel free to insert "Sony" here for "y")?  That, or you buy it as part of a boxed set which has been licensed from the original company?

PD
Good point PD but they look nice colour-coded as in Lol's collection.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2023, 05:16:05 AMGood point PD but they look nice colour-coded as in Lol's collection.
I know!  ;D

I have put some things together by label...like the EMI Icon sets that I have, DG's Original Masters, etc.  Individual ones are sorted differently though.  Mind you, my system is far from perfect and I really need more shelving!

Bye the way Lol, how much of the living room have you overtaken with your LPs, etc.?  If I'm recalling correctly, come to think of it, you have your equipment and music collection in a different room (separated by an arch?)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 03, 2023, 09:29:45 AMI know!  ;D

I have put some things together by label...like the EMI Icon sets that I have, DG's Original Masters, etc.  Individual ones are sorted differently though.  Mind you, my system is far from perfect and I really need more shelving!

Bye the way Lol, how much of the living room have you overtaken with your LPs, etc.?  If I'm recalling correctly, come to think of it, you have your equipment and music collection in a different room (separated by an arch?)?

PD

I have an understanding missus PD but that does not stop her having an occasional moan "can't you listen like normal people through a laptop and headphones?!"

Yes, that is how we got around the problem. Something had to be done, we had an annex built next to our dining/listening room. One end houses records and CD's and the other, Hi-Fi, with a hole drilled through the wall for speaker cable leading to speakers in the main room.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 04, 2023, 06:31:13 AMI have an understanding missus PD but that does not stop her having an occasional moan "can't you listen like normal people through a laptop and headphones?!"

Yes, that is how we got around the problem. Something had to be done, we had an annex built next to our dining/listening room. One end houses records and CD's and the other, Hi-Fi, with a hole drilled through the wall for speaker cable leading to speakers in the main room.
Ah, nice to know that my memory hasn't totally failed me--yet, anyway!

By the way, how much room do you have left (to fill)?  :)  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 04, 2023, 07:07:02 AMAh, nice to know that my memory hasn't totally failed me--yet, anyway!

By the way, how much room do you have left (to fill)?  :)  ;)

PD

Not a lot!

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Spinning Shostakovich.

Recorded at Snape Maltings in great sound. Outstanding contribution from John Wilbraham (trumpet).

Weller made some excellent recordings, both orchestral and string quartet. Although he does not receive credit due.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 10, 2023, 03:17:59 AMSpinning Shostakovich.

Recorded at Snape Maltings in great sound. Outstanding contribution from John Wilbraham (trumpet).

Weller made some excellent recordings, both orchestral and string quartet. Although he does not receive credit due.
I remember that Weller LP! Nice nostalgia trip.

Valentino

It's nicely packaged, the new AAA-mix is very well done and the vinyl is of superb quality. DG The Original Source:

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Irons

Tend to shy away from the Second Viennese School but purchased this issue mainly for Agon. As it turned out I enjoyed Berg's Chamber Concerto even going as far as to follow up with the same composer's Four Pieces for Clarinet and Piano (Gervase De Peyer/Lamar Crowson). 

Recording up to Kenneth Wilkinson's high standards made at Walthamstow Town Hall in 1980.

Irons

Janacek: Concertino.

Any recording featuring Lamar Crowson should be snapped up without a second thought.