Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 03, 2019, 01:40:31 AM
I trust you switched to 78 rpm. >:D
What a terrible thought - you should be ashamed of yourself Lol!
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Optional protective clothing for second-hand record collectors.

Thanks to Waxxy
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 09, 2019, 12:15:36 AM
Optional protective clothing for second-hand record collectors.

Thanks to Waxxy
V funny.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

"Still playing LPs? You're either a clubtastic DJ, an urban hipster or a sweet old duffer." This is the opening paragraph of an article written by Bryan Appleyard in this week's Culture magazine with the Sunday Times (page 22) titled Can the Classics Ride the Digital Stream? I asked the wife which she thought I was, she replied "you are not sweet!". On a more serious note the article makes a case that streaming music could result in the demise of Classical music. The piece rather loses credibility when Appleyard says, I quote "if somebody asks for a Mahler quartet, the algorithm may not know if they want a music group or a track." I lost interest after this and didn't bother to read the (long) rest. Think I will keep to LPs and CDs with or without a Mahler quartet.  ???

Edit: A Google search does unearth an early unfinished Piano Quartet from Mahler.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

Most likely it is a function of ageing eyes in my case but I find certain LP labels difficult to read. I find them dark and fussy. It can sometimes be difficult for me to even determine which is Side 1. Other labels on the other hand are clear as a bell and present their information easily and readily.

I offer two recent examples by way of demonstration and explanation.

I find the CBS label "fussy" whereas the CfP label is very clear for me. This is obviously a function of the colour contrast.

Do any other vinyl heads have this issue [yet]?

Ratliff

Quote from: aligreto on November 24, 2019, 07:31:51 AM
Most likely it is a function of ageing eyes in my case but I find certain LP labels difficult to read. I find them dark and fussy.

I own no vinyl but have the same issue on many CD booklets. Small type in "stylish" combinations of colors with low contrast. Stupid.

aligreto

Quote from: Ratliff on November 24, 2019, 08:10:28 AM
I own no vinyl but have the same issue on many CD booklets. Small type in "stylish" combinations of colors with low contrast. Stupid.

Don't get me started on current CD booklets!!! One almost requires an electron microscope to read some them  >:D   ;D

Irons

Collecting vinyl is fun but can be frustrating. A LP can appear pristine and sound like a bowl of rice crispies. Over time with experience a collector learns how to spot clues, and there are many, whether a LP is pre-loved or just second-hand. A sure fire method is collections. If a pre-owned LP has been carefully looked after and played on equipment not causing damage to the vulnerable record groove then there is more then a good chance the rest of the collection would be of similar condition.

On a visit to an Oxfam shop I came across a LP with a cover in mint condition. I noticed the previous owner in a neat hand had listed in the inner sleeve not only details of the recording but where and when it was purchased and at what cost. Looking through the rack there were others with the same information. The records did not require any cleaning and play whisper quite. They are literarily "as new". I returned with haste and checked for more with the same inscriptions. I guess a dozen or so including a box set of Martinu symphonies. I commend the previous owner for the fastidious way he has kept his record collection and for what ever reason they arrived at a charity shop - I very much hope it is not the usual reason - he/she can rest assured these records are still giving great pleasure and being looked after the way they are accustomed.   

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on December 01, 2019, 02:50:46 AM
Collecting vinyl is fun but can be frustrating. A LP can appear pristine and sound like a bowl of rice crispies. Over time with experience a collector learns how to spot clues, and there are many, whether a LP is pre-loved or just second-hand. A sure fire method is collections. If a pre-owned LP has been carefully looked after and played on equipment not causing damage to the vulnerable record groove then there is more then a good chance the rest of the collection would be of similar condition.

On a visit to an Oxfam shop I came across a LP with a cover in mint condition. I noticed the previous owner in a neat hand had listed in the inner sleeve not only details of the recording but where and when it was purchased and at what cost. Looking through the rack there were others with the same information. The records did not require any cleaning and play whisper quite. They are literarily "as new". I returned with haste and checked for more with the same inscriptions. I guess a dozen or so including a box set of Martinu symphonies. I commend the previous owner for the fastidious way he has kept his record collection and for what ever reason they arrived at a charity shop - I very much hope it is not the usual reason - he/she can rest assured these records are still giving great pleasure and being looked after the way they are accustomed.

Some years ago I bought a somewhat modest collection of around 500 LPs and many of them were preserved and presented in the way that you describe above. Unfortunately, for me anyway, this is the exception rather than the rule.

Irons

I cannot believe this announcement from SME! The world has gone mad and Alastair Robertson-Aikman must be turning in his grave!

Unbelievable, and very sad -  https://sme.co.uk/2019/12/03/sme-product-announcement/

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on December 05, 2019, 07:31:14 AM
I cannot believe this announcement from SME! The world has gone mad and Alastair Robertson-Aikman must be turning in his grave!

Unbelievable, and very sad -  https://sme.co.uk/2019/12/03/sme-product-announcement/

WOW!! Amazing decision.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on December 05, 2019, 08:23:12 AM
WOW!! Amazing decision.

Aligreto, I just can't get my head around it! ???

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on December 06, 2019, 12:06:03 AM

I agree, even for business reasons.

Irons

Classics on Vinyl on YT worth a look/listen. Lyrita, Bax 5 on outstanding vinyl playback.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoOiV11be6CgesXPN40EPKQ

XB-70 Valkyrie

FLAC-ing my way through this exquisite 4 LP EMI reissue set of Maggie Teyte that has, inexplicably, been sitting on my shelves for many years. I'm sure it's on CD, but I love the beautiful booklet (sized just right for human usage!) that is included in this set. She is one of my favorite singers of all time.

(not my photo BTW)

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on December 08, 2019, 06:07:44 AM
I agree, even for business reasons.

Already started - Music Direct are selling SME 309 I,000$ over list price!

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 10, 2019, 06:02:38 AM
Classics on Vinyl on YT worth a look/listen. Lyrita, Bax 5 on outstanding vinyl playback.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoOiV11be6CgesXPN40EPKQ

Yes, it's a terrific playback. Thanks for alerting us to it.

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: Irons on December 06, 2019, 12:06:03 AM
It could be that other tonearm manufactures are saturating the market with products equal to or better than the SME examples. Take for instance VPI's 'JMW" 10.5 3d printed arm. Walks all over everything SME has to offer. Not that SME is making anything that's rubbish it's just that advances in this ancient technology are leaping ahead.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 11, 2019, 01:46:49 PM
Yes, it's a terrific playback. Thanks for alerting us to it.

Pleased you enjoyed it, Jeffrey. I did think it rather good and worth posting.