Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 10, 2020, 06:57:18 AM
To my horror it dawned on me that I didn't own a copy of the EMI 8th Symphony on vinyl just recently. Soon rectified that!

You are right Jeffrey - why no museum? We visited Malvern on a pilgrimage of sorts and the visit to Elgar's house and the attached museum was an unforgettable experience. Also Britten's Red House is excellent but we love Aldeburgh anyway. Missed out on Holst - when the world gets back to normal......

Does angry of Tonbridge want a lawn to die for? My son, who's career in the travel industry fell away under his feet thanks to Covid, set out as a lawn treatment provider for the Eastbourne territory of 'Greensleeves' yesterday. One door closes, another opens. :)   

Angry of Tunbridge Wells actually!
Sorry to hear about your son's job - a dreadful time for so many.
I'll ask the Boss about the lawn but it's more of a smallish garden really.

I think at Leith Hill Place, where VW grew up there is an exhibition devoted to VW of some sort.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/leith-hill-place/features/ralph-vaughan-williams-at-leith-hill-place
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 10, 2020, 09:56:58 AM
Angry of Tunbridge Wells actually!
Sorry to hear about your son's job - a dreadful time for so many.
I'll ask the Boss about the lawn but it's more of a smallish garden really.

I think at Leith Hill Place, where VW grew up there is an exhibition devoted to VW of some sort.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/leith-hill-place/features/ralph-vaughan-williams-at-leith-hill-place

Thanks for link, Jeffrey. Leith Hill is no distance so worth a look when normality returns.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 11, 2020, 12:15:24 AM
Thanks for link, Jeffrey. Leith Hill is no distance so worth a look when normality returns.

I'd be interested to know what you find there Lol. Maybe VW's piano? Another McFall Head?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 11, 2020, 12:43:17 AM
I'd be interested to know what you find there Lol. Maybe VW's piano? Another McFall Head?
Is this what one could call the episode "Mystery of the 'Fall'n Head"?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 11, 2020, 12:43:17 AM

I wonder if wearing a loose fitting coat.... how big is the McFall head?

Leith Hill I discover is closer then I thought. So yes Jeffrey, I will visit at the first opportunity.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 11, 2020, 07:09:00 AM
I wonder if wearing a loose fitting coat.... how big is the McFall head?

Leith Hill I discover is closer then I thought. So yes Jeffrey, I will visit at the first opportunity.

Life size. Take a wheelbarrow Lol.

Pohjolas Daughter

lol.  :)

Question for all of you vinyl lovers, have there been any new pressings of Starker and Kodaly's Sonata for Solo Cello?  Also, which of his recordings do you think is the best of them?  I think that he recorded it (I want to say...) five times?  And which used LPs do you have and how did you find them to be (both sound-wise and performance-wise)?

The only one that I have (and on CD)...so far anyway, is the one on Delos.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André Le Nôtre

I have the original pressing on Period. This is the one you want. Musically, technically, sonically, it is quite possibly the single greatest  recording ever made... in history. I was lucky enough to find this one in NM condition among a collection I was buying in the early 90s and it is one of the prizes of my collection. Will be hard to find ($$$) in good condition.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 19, 2020, 07:41:51 AM
lol.  :)

Question for all of you vinyl lovers, have there been any new pressings of Starker and Kodaly's Sonata for Solo Cello?  Also, which of his recordings do you think is the best of them?  I think that he recorded it (I want to say...) five times?  And which used LPs do you have and how did you find them to be (both sound-wise and performance-wise)?

The only one that I have (and on CD)...so far anyway, is the one on Delos.

PD

Hi PD trust you are well.

Starker made a fine recording at the Kingsway Hall for Walter Legg in 1957 which was issued on (English) Columbia 33CX 1595. You would expect to pay at least £75 for a copy. But not for the first time the wonderful World Record Club rides to the rescue and released the work under licence in October 1968. Cheapskate that I am this is the recording I own. :)

Coincidently I am about to post here on another WRC reissue which has led me a bit of song and dance.

The Period issue posted above was issued in the UK under licence by Saga Records.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on November 19, 2020, 10:33:35 PM
I have the original pressing on Period. This is the one you want. Musically, technically, sonically, it is quite possibly the single greatest  recording ever made... in history. I was lucky enough to find this one in NM condition among a collection I was buying in the early 90s and it is one of the prizes of my collection. Will be hard to find ($$$) in good condition.

Nice!  And thanks for the pic!  Out of curiosity, do you listen to it with a mono cartridge or on your stereo setup?  Am wondering whether or not anyone has also released this recording on CD?  May have to post elsewhere for an answer to that one. 

Best wishes,

PD
Quote from: Irons on November 20, 2020, 12:39:54 AM
Hi PD trust you are well.

Starker made a fine recording at the Kingsway Hall for Walter Legg in 1957 which was issued on (English) Columbia 33CX 1595. You would expect to pay at least £75 for a copy. But not for the first time the wonderful World Record Club rides to the rescue and released the work under licence in October 1968. Cheapskate that I am this is the recording I own. :)

Coincidently I am about to post here on another WRC reissue which has led me a bit of song and dance.

The Period issue posted above was issued in the UK under licence by Saga Records.

Doing pretty well here Irons--with the exception of all of the post-election shenanigans driving me cuckoo!

Thank you very much for the info and the photos.  I'll add them and André's info and photos into my Notes on my Mac (which copies over onto my iPhone--handy to have when around vinyl and CDs too).  You're lower photo (after your signature) was a bit hard to read (and didn't show up here when I quoted your post).  What is that photo of?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 20, 2020, 04:01:20 AM
Nice!  And thanks for the pic!  Out of curiosity, do you listen to it with a mono cartridge or on your stereo setup?  Am wondering whether or not anyone has also released this recording on CD?  May have to post elsewhere for an answer to that one. 

Best wishes,

PD
Doing pretty well here Irons--with the exception of all of the post-election shenanigans driving me cuckoo!

Thank you very much for the info and the photos.  I'll add them and André's info and photos into my Notes on my Mac (which copies over onto my iPhone--handy to have when around vinyl and CDs too).  You're lower photo (after your signature) was a bit hard to read (and didn't show up here when I quoted your post).  What is that photo of?

PD

It is small isn't it. Hopefully this is better. Saga released four - I have forgotten which - of the Bach suites for solo cello and the Kodaly sonata from the Period catalogue.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 20, 2020, 07:46:23 AM
It is small isn't it. Hopefully this is better. Saga released four - I have forgotten which - of the Bach suites for solo cello and the Kodaly sonata from the Period catalogue.
Thanks!  :)

Take a look at these (new pressings):  The prices for the Bach...ouch!  And as 45 rpms!  Double ouch!  :(

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?searchterm=starker&sort=popularity%7CDESC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 20, 2020, 10:21:20 AM
Thanks!  :)

Take a look at these (new pressings):  The prices for the Bach...ouch!  And as 45 rpms!  Double ouch!  :(

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?searchterm=starker&sort=popularity%7CDESC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

PD

Think I will stick with Fournier!

Lots of Starker on vinyl. Both Beethoven and Brahms sonatas with Sebok on WRC. The rarest Starker recording on my shelves is a recital of French music with Leon Pommers (piano) on Pye Nixa. Surprisingly Starker made a recording for Supraphon of Bach in Prague. There are many more.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 20, 2020, 01:28:40 PM
Think I will stick with Fournier!

Lots of Starker on vinyl. Both Beethoven and Brahms sonatas with Sebok on WRC. The rarest Starker recording on my shelves is a recital of French music with Leon Pommers (piano) on Pye Nixa. Surprisingly Starker made a recording for Supraphon of Bach in Prague. There are many more.
Good morning!  Well, afternoon for you.  :)

I don't blame you; bet that they sound really good though!  Have you ever tried comparing a 45 with a 33 (same recording obviously)?  If so, did you notice any difference?  I do have this LP with Fournier..trying to find a decent picture.  Well, anyway, it's Nos. 5 & 6 on Archiv Produktion.  Would love to get the other two albums or the boxset.  Do you know which pressings came first--what do they look like?  Here's one of the pressings from which I have 5 & 6.  Mine were printed in West Germany.

Neat about the Supraphon LP!  When was that recorded?  I did see one French album (part of a series) but it wasn't on Pye Nixa.  It was on Period (Round the World with Starker, Volume 2:  Music of France).  How do you like it?

Sometime, I'd like to get ahold of a copy of his book:  The World of Music According to Starker.  I was able to borrow a copy from a library (a couple of years ago?) which I really enjoyed reading.  It's kind of a combo of autobiography plus some essays/chapters of his thoughts on cello playing/the musical world, etc.  I seldom read bios straight through, but I did with this one.  It also comes with a CD (not released elsewhere) of some short pieces with piano (Shigeo Neriki).  Anyway, at the end of the book is a nice discography--way too long for me to try and copy it by hand and I didn't want to damage the book by trying to scan it on my scanner/printer.  Hmm...interesting, on Amazon, some are listed as new.  I thought that it was OOP?  Maybe some people purchased remainders?  https://www.amazon.com/World-Music-According-Starker/dp/0253344522/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=the+world+of+music+according+to+starker&qid=1605962755&sr=8-2

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 21, 2020, 03:48:42 AM
Good morning!  Well, afternoon for you.  :)

I don't blame you; bet that they sound really good though!  Have you ever tried comparing a 45 with a 33 (same recording obviously)?  If so, did you notice any difference?  I do have this LP with Fournier..trying to find a decent picture.  Well, anyway, it's Nos. 5 & 6 on Archiv Produktion.  Would love to get the other two albums or the boxset.  Do you know which pressings came first--what do they look like?  Here's one of the pressings from which I have 5 & 6.  Mine were printed in West Germany.

Neat about the Supraphon LP!  When was that recorded?  I did see one French album (part of a series) but it wasn't on Pye Nixa.  It was on Period (Round the World with Starker, Volume 2:  Music of France).  How do you like it?

Sometime, I'd like to get ahold of a copy of his book:  The World of Music According to Starker.  I was able to borrow a copy from a library (a couple of years ago?) which I really enjoyed reading.  It's kind of a combo of autobiography plus some essays/chapters of his thoughts on cello playing/the musical world, etc.  I seldom read bios straight through, but I did with this one.  It also comes with a CD (not released elsewhere) of some short pieces with piano (Shigeo Neriki).  Anyway, at the end of the book is a nice discography--way too long for me to try and copy it by hand and I didn't want to damage the book by trying to scan it on my scanner/printer.  Hmm...interesting, on Amazon, some are listed as new.  I thought that it was OOP?  Maybe some people purchased remainders?  https://www.amazon.com/World-Music-According-Starker/dp/0253344522/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=the+world+of+music+according+to+starker&qid=1605962755&sr=8-2

PD

Yes PD, that is the Fournier set on my shelves. Not first pressings, which were the generic DG gatefold type which I hate as impossible to extract without fingers coming into contact with record grooves. I did own a first pressing but sold it.

I am a vinyl conservative (small c  ;)). 45 rpm has little appeal.

The Starker/Supraphon is from the early 1970's I believe. The Nixa would indeed be from the Period catalogue.

You mention a Starker book. Many moons ago I read a small fascinating book, not about Starker but his cello. It traced the history and ownership of the instrument from it's creation to the present day. I no longer own the book and cannot find mention of it on the web which is odd. Starker played a "Lord Aylesford" which was passed on to him via Piatigorsky. A long time ago, but I seem to recall that du Pré inherited Starker's cello, but she never played the "Lord Aylesford" so must be mistaken. If ever I cull a book or recording I eventually regret it, every time!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 21, 2020, 07:11:44 AM
Yes PD, that is the Fournier set on my shelves. Not first pressings, which were the generic DG gatefold type which I hate as impossible to extract without fingers coming into contact with record grooves. I did own a first pressing but sold it.

I am a vinyl conservative (small c  ;)). 45 rpm has little appeal.

The Starker/Supraphon is from the early 1970's I believe. The Nixa would indeed be from the Period catalogue.

You mention a Starker book. Many moons ago I read a small fascinating book, not about Starker but his cello. It traced the history and ownership of the instrument from it's creation to the present day. I no longer own the book and cannot find mention of it on the web which is odd. Starker played a "Lord Aylesford" which was passed on to him via Piatigorsky. A long time ago, but I seem to recall that du Pré inherited Starker's cello, but she never played the "Lord Aylesford" so must be mistaken. If ever I cull a book or recording I eventually regret it, every time!
Is this the kind of DG cover that you mean (re original issue)? 

Ah, yes, he did go into some depth regarding his cello in the book.  This is an image of the cover of the book that I had mentioned: 

I wonder whether or not it might have been an article that he had written for a magazine?  I'll try and borrow a copy of the book again soon and let you know what I find out.

PD

p.s.  Take a look here:  does anything at the bottom (under references) sound familiar?  https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/property/?ID=40267
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on November 21, 2020, 07:11:44 AM
(...)

I tend to avoid the DG Archiv type of it too, they are fragile, and also on the basis that the sound is usually not that good, and that some performers are less interesting (Wenzinger, Lehmann etc.). The Bach/Fournier in that format (1961) came in stereo too, though.

As regards the early, yellow DG gatefolds, I have a few, since they comprise some interesting Fricsays etc.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 21, 2020, 12:20:22 PM
I tend to avoid the DG Archiv type of it too, they are fragile, and also on the basis that the sound is usually not that good, and that some performers are less interesting (Wenzinger, Lehmann etc.). The Bach/Fournier in that format (1961) came in stereo too, though.

As regards the early, yellow DG gatefolds, I have a few, since they comprise some interesting Fricsays etc.
Hi MT,

When you say that you tend to avoid the DG Archiv type are you referring to the ones that I said that I had a copy of one of the Fournier/Bach Suites one and had provided a photo?  Or of a different pressing?  And, also, you think that the sound is better on the old yellow DG gatefolds?  I have a few of those--of early Gregorian chant music.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 21, 2020, 12:20:22 PM

With the old DG gatefolds the opening to extract record is from the inside (middle) which makes it impossible to handle correctly.

I agree, the sound is nothing special either.

Irons

My first copy of the WRC recording of Finzi's Dies Natalis which although mono sounded fine. When EMI took over the WRC catalogue they rereleased the recording in stereo at mid price. On obtaining a copy I was slightly disappointed, the sound had a veiled effect, lacking impact.

After buying a dud on online auction for 99p - something too good to be true, usually is - I purchased from a trusted seller, York Records, a stereo WRC Dies Natalis. The veil is lifted! With deep bass and dynamic visceral sound the EMI transfer is left in it's wake.
A gatefold, only this time correctly done, with full texts and photos from the recording sessions (Abbey Road?).

A random thought. Has another recording featured the only child of two composers conducting their father's works?