Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on June 04, 2021, 05:19:48 AM
I would love to get a few hours to rummage in that place  8)

Also, that is a terrific clip at the end with the dog  :laugh:
I agree; it would be a lot of fun to look through all of that 'stuff'--and to listen to some music on those vintage players.  And, yes.  I cracked up when I saw what the dog did to that horn!  ??? :laugh:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on June 04, 2021, 05:42:58 AM
And the dog meant it too  >:D
Yes, you could tell right away by his barking and body language that he was having none of that noisy contraption!

I found some cool photos here on their website.  Wish, though, that their descriptions were a bit better--more thorough.  Out of curiosity, who were the visiting royals to Hayes?  I don't recognize them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100030765@N07/sets/72157635013975944/with/9470912821/

PD

p.s.  I loved the photos of the earliest studio...quite an eye-opener!
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 04, 2021, 05:03:48 AM
I suspect that you gents will appreciate this one.  It's called "Nipper Runs Amok".  Interesting reading the history behind it.  Would have loved to have been able to talk to the people who produced it as to their reasoning behind it and thoughts about the results.   :)

https://www.emiarchivetrust.org/secrets-of-the-emi-archive-1/

PD

Thanks for posting PD. Very funny, Nipper wasn't having it!

The famous dog features on the wall above my PC screen. No need for Eamon Andrews famous red book just a wall! ;D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 04, 2021, 06:44:01 AM

The famous dog features on the wall above my PC screen. No need for Eamon Andrews famous red book just a wall! ;D
Sweet!  I've been wanting to get one of those old Nipper statues for some time.   :)  I do have a magnet like this one (on my fridge)

By the way, if you've had a chance to look at any of those old EMI pictures (that I had also posted a link to earlier), any idea who the royals were that were visiting Hayes?  There are several photos of them there.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 04, 2021, 05:53:21 AM
Yes, you could tell right away by his barking and body language that he was having none of that noisy contraption!

I found some cool photos here on their website.  Wish, though, that their descriptions were a bit better--more thorough.  Out of curiosity, who were the visiting royals to Hayes?  I don't recognize them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100030765@N07/sets/72157635013975944/with/9470912821/

PD

p.s.  I loved the photos of the earliest studio...quite an eye-opener!

Wonderful photos indeed PD  8)
I don't do "Royals" so I cannot help you there.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on June 04, 2021, 07:59:56 AM
Wonderful photos indeed PD  8)
I don't do "Royals" so I cannot help you there.
That's o.k.  :)  I suspect that the photos are of Mary of Teck...and I'm not certain of whom else.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Looking at a couple of Saga records that I own (mentioned in the Vaughan Williams thread) and a question came to my mind:  I noticed that on the back of the JS-Q record (Songs of Travel) that at the top it says "Debut Series No. 4".  I tried googling Saga Records Debut Series (and also used other wording) as I was curious as to what other records were in that series and didn't have any luck.  Tried Discogs too (a rather confusing history of Saga there).  Does anyone here have any more info on that series?  And any particularly 'yummy' ones in it?

PD

p.s.  Looking a bit more closely at the two album covers, the mono one says Saga on the back (but according to Discogs the label went bankrupt in 1960 and was acquired by Allied.  The recording appears to be from 1963.  It does say 'manufactured by Allied Records').  The stereo one that I have is from a later date (shows a copyright date from Art & Sound, Ltd., 1973 re the liner notes) and again says Pressed by Allied Records, Ltd.
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: George O on June 02, 2021, 12:55:33 PM
Good to see that someone else has this album in his collection.

Thanks! Nice photo. Haven't played the LP yet.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 04, 2021, 06:44:01 AM

Love the 'Nipper' photo but not so sure about 'West Ham United'.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 04, 2021, 05:03:48 AM
I suspect that you gents will appreciate this one.  It's called "Nipper Runs Amok".  Interesting reading the history behind it.  Would have loved to have been able to talk to the people who produced it as to their reasoning behind it and thoughts about the results.   :)

https://www.emiarchivetrust.org/secrets-of-the-emi-archive-1/

PD
I loved 'Nipper Runs Amok'.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 19, 2021, 12:26:38 AM
Love the 'Nipper' photo but not so sure about 'West Ham United'.
8)

I haven't been sure about West Ham United since 1957, Jeffrey.  :D

As for the work of art on my wall as Kenny Everett would say "In the best possible taste"!

https://youtu.be/ZkqxagJglaI
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 19, 2021, 08:21:21 AM

As for the work of art on my wall as Kenny Everett would say "In the best possible taste"!

;D I loved that your grandkid made a card for you with their logo!  Sweet!  And that it meant enough to you to put it next to their plaque(?).

Afraid that I wasn't able to watch your youtube link.  I received a message saying something like "Problem loading.  Please try again later."

Any thoughts re Saga recordings (see earlier posting from me)?  If/when you have a chance.

PD

p.s.  Am trying to cool off now after running around doing some grocery shopping.  By the way, do you folks in the UK (and elsewhere) celebrate Fathers' Day?  That's this weekend here (Sunday).  It's also Juneteenth today thanks to President Biden and most of the folks in Congress....along with the campaigning for it by a number of relentless and hardworking souls like Ms. Opal Lee.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 19, 2021, 08:21:21 AM

OT

Excellent Lol! I was always a fan of Mt Everett. I must have started supporting Chelsea at the same time, maybe c.1959 as I went there as a 4 year old!

The 'Grandad' card is lovely, so that is excusable!

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 19, 2021, 12:10:37 PM
;D I loved that your grandkid made a card for you with their logo!  Sweet!  And that it meant enough to you to put it next to their plaque(?).

Afraid that I wasn't able to watch your youtube link.  I received a message saying something like "Problem loading.  Please try again later."

Any thoughts re Saga recordings (see earlier posting from me)?  If/when you have a chance.

PD

p.s.  Am trying to cool off now after running around doing some grocery shopping.  By the way, do you folks in the UK (and elsewhere) celebrate Fathers' Day?  That's this weekend here (Sunday).  It's also Juneteenth today thanks to President Biden and most of the folks in Congress....along with the campaigning for it by a number of relentless and hardworking souls like Ms. Opal Lee.  :)

The plaque is a very trashy mirror PD but so old, half a century at least, worth a small fortune.

We have always had Mothers Day but Fathers Day similar to Halloween has crossed the Atlantic and become popular here fairly recently. Weather not good at present but plumped for a barbeque anyway. Kenny Everett's humour is a bit like my mirror, trashy ;D.

Buying Saga LPs is a leap of faith. The mono turquoise label from the 1960's if you can find a clean pressing are very collectable. The latter British stereo pressings are awful. The very late German pressings are good. So for Saga best to go very early or late and miss out on the middle.

Edit: Sorry PD missed your Saga post above. I have not heard of the "Debut" series.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 20, 2021, 10:51:50 PM
OT

Excellent Lol! I was always a fan of Mt Everett. I must have started supporting Chelsea at the same time, maybe c.1959 as I went there as a 4 year old!

The 'Grandad' card is lovely, so that is excusable!

I have been to Stamford Bridge a few times, Jeffrey. The most recent being 2019 when believe it or not West Ham won 1-0! I was in the Chelsea enclosure of the Matthew Harding stand - fabulous view - so had to sit on my hands! Obviously your Chelsea support comes from an older member of the family. My father was a Gooner!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 20, 2021, 11:57:43 PM
The plaque is a very trashy mirror PD but so old, half a century at least, worth a small fortune.

We have always had Mothers Day but Fathers Day similar to Halloween has crossed the Atlantic and become popular here fairly recently. Weather not good at present but plumped for a barbeque anyway. Kenny Everett's humour is a bit like my mirror, trashy ;D.

Buying Saga LPs is a leap of faith. The mono turquoise label from the 1960's if you can find a clean pressing are very collectable. The latter British stereo pressings are awful. The very late German pressings are good. So for Saga best to go very early or late and miss out on the middle.

Edit: Sorry PD missed your Saga post above. I have not heard of the "Debut" series.

Thank you for the info.  I'll have to see how the mono one sounds.  It's a dark torquoise (teal?) colored label with "Made in England" on it.  Alas the stereo one was pressed in the UK.  Hope to fire up the charcoal grill today, but boy is it ever (and already) muggy out!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on June 21, 2021, 08:34:34 AM
The photos of a stern-looking lady wearing what appears to be a wrap-around turban on her head is indeed Queen Mary, wife of George V. She was known as 'Mary of Teck' for a while, but that kind of went out of fashion in 1910 when she became Queen of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions and Empress of India! The picture to the left of the one of Gracie Fields on a flight of outdoor stairs: the guy in the bowler hat looking over the shoulders of the seated lady workers is George V himself.

The photo of everyone looking out of the windows at a diminutive couple, one of whom is wearing military uniform, next to the one of Glen Miller... well, the woman is definitely Queen Elizabeth, a.k.a. the Queen Mother (but not when that photo was taken) and also known as Elizabeth Bowes Lyon befote she got married to the younger brother of Edward VIII, who ended up as George VI. I *think* that's him (i.e., Elizabeth's husband) in the military uniform, but he's a bit small and indistinct, so I can't be certain. They often went around places together, of course, because he was such a dreadful public speaker, what with his stutter (and having his wife around made things better for him, somewhat).
Thank you for the further identifications.  And, yes, I did do a bit of historical calculations checking out to see who was queen around that time and did find photos of her.  ;)  Nice to know who some of the other ones were though.  I'm guessing that Queen Mary was being given the tour by the head of EMI?  Or one of the heads involved with the production of the records?  Any idea there?  In any event, hope that you had fun looking at the photos.  By the way, did you watch the short video of "Nipper Run Amok" [Note:  not the original Nipper].  That had me laughing.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: absolutelybaching on June 21, 2021, 09:30:26 AM
I know it's the vinyl thread (and I can count those on my bookshelf right now... 4 of them. Plus 16 78 rpm shellac thingies.

My own personal stats:

Statistic                   Value
         -----------                 -----
    1    Unique Composers:           544 
    2    Recordings (total):         12744
    3    Days of continuous play:    231.7
    4    Count of Plays:             3111
    5    Recordings not yet played:  10298
    6    Plays per day (avg):        21.02

Duration Range              Total   Played  Unplayed
         --------------              -----   ------  --------
    1    Less than 5 minutes:         1391   662     729     
    2    Between 5 and 10 minutes:    2247   660     1587   
    3    Between 10 and 30 minutes:   3460   435     3025   
    4    Between 30 and 60 minutes:   4591   570     4021   
    5    Between 60 and 120 minutes:  688    86      602     
    6    Longer than 2 hours:         367    33      334     

That's the digital stuff only and it lists an alarmingly high percentage of 'unplayed' only because it's a new piece of playback software, so I've only played about 2,500 compositions in the six months I've been using it. (The digital stuff is organised by composition, not the piece of plastic it was supplied on).

Anyway: it's got nothing to do with the thread, so I'm sorry to go off-topic, but I saw the headline statistics that the Discogs people averaged 184 'releases' in their collections and practically fell off my chair with the thought that I would never cope with that little quantity of minims and quavers! Moar notes!!

That was a standout statistic for me also. I wondered if it was a typo.

Pohjolas Daughter

Recent LP purchases:

Moussorgski:  L'oeuvre pour piano seul, les tableaux d'une exposition/Victoria Postnikova/Le Chant du Monde
Martinu/Schulhoff:  Concertos for String quartet and Orchestra/Talich Quartet/Czech Phil Orch/Kosler on Panton
from Bartok (The Complete Edition):  Violin Concerto with Szekely/Amsterdam Concertgebouw Orch/Mengelberg/Hungaroton
Schubert Impromptu As-dur, op. 142, No. 2 and Sonata c-moll op. post. with Richter on Eurodisc/Melodia
Bartok:  Concerto No. 2 & Prokofiev:  Concerto No. 5 with Richter/Maazel/Orch de Paris & LSO on EMI Angel
Poulenc:  Concerto for Organ, Strings & Timpani with Simon Preston/Andre Previn/LSO on Angel (part of their 45 Angel Sonic Series)

And there you have it!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter