Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 24, 2021, 02:33:47 AM
Recent LP purchases:

Moussorgski:  L'oeuvre pour piano seul, les tableaux d'une exposition/Victoria Postnikova/Le Chant du Monde
Martinu/Schulhoff:  Concertos for String quartet and Orchestra/Talich Quartet/Czech Phil Orch/Kosler on Panton
from Bartok (The Complete Edition):  Violin Concerto with Szekely/Amsterdam Concertgebouw Orch/Mengelberg/Hungaroton
Schubert Impromptu As-dur, op. 142, No. 2 and Sonata c-moll op. post. with Richter on Eurodisc/Melodia
Bartok:  Concerto No. 2 & Prokofiev:  Concerto No. 5 with Richter/Maazel/Orch de Paris & LSO on EMI Angel
Poulenc:  Concerto for Organ, Strings & Timpani with Simon Preston/Andre Previn/LSO on Angel (part of their 45 Angel Sonic Series)

And there you have it!  :)

PD

Great haul, PD! Like the look of the Martinu/Schulhoff Panton disc. Late (1986) with nice cover too. Will look out for that one. The Bartok is of major historical significance. I hope Angel have retained the original EMI cover for Previn, the artwork is one of my all-time favourites. I'm too lazy for 45 rpm but concede they sound better.
Now to search for a copy of your Panton. 8) 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 24, 2021, 02:55:55 AM
Great haul, PD! Like the look of the Martinu/Schulhoff Panton disc. Late (1986) with nice cover too. Will look out for that one. The Bartok is of major historical significance. I hope Angel have retained the original EMI cover for Previn, the artwork is one of my all-time favourites. I'm too lazy for 45 rpm but concede they sound better.
Now to search for a copy of your Panton. 8)
I thought it was pretty cool that it was the standard 12-inch size LP but transferred at 45 (so just one work on it and need to flip it to hear all of it).  This is what it looks like:

My cover is on the darker side (like above) vs. some of the other images that I've seen online.

I was happy to see the Panton one for various reasons including I seldom run across recordings of Schulhoff.   :)  And knowing you, you'll find a copy of it in a heartbeat!

PD

EDIT:  The name of Victoria Postnikova sounded vaguely familiar to me, so thought that I'd chance it--particularly as I love the piano version of Pictures.
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 24, 2021, 03:24:25 AM
I thought it was pretty cool that it was the standard 12-inch size LP but transferred at 45 (so just one work on it and need to flip it to hear all of it).  This is what it looks like:

My cover is on the darker side (like above) vs. some of the other images that I've seen online.

I was happy to see the Panton one for various reasons including I seldom run across recordings of Schulhoff.   :)  And knowing you, you'll find a copy of it in a heartbeat!

PD

EDIT:  The name of Victoria Postnikova sounded vaguely familiar to me, so thought that I'd chance it--particularly as I love the piano version of Pictures.

Very Nice  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on July 24, 2021, 01:35:42 PM
Very Nice  8)
Thank you!  I'm looking forward to listening to them.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

PD

I thought she was married to someone famous, Rostropovich maybe. Looked it up, in fact Gennady Rozhdestvensky.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

MusicTurner

PD

Great Poulenc recordings I think, including an exquisite Concert Champetre ... and Richter in Schubert + Bartok, and Mengelberg in Bartok also very fine... congrats.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 25, 2021, 12:58:44 AM
I thought she was married to someone famous, Rostropovich maybe. Looked it up, in fact Gennady Rozhdestvensky.
Oh, neat!  :)

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 25, 2021, 01:12:40 AM
Great Poulenc recordings I think, including an exquisite Concert Champetre ... and Richter in Schubert + Bartok, and Mengelberg in Bartok also very fine... congrats.
Thank you!  :)

By the way, the Poulenc one just has the Concerto for Organ, Strings and Timpani on it.  It looks like the original album also included the Concert Champetre, but due to the space limitations of mine being a 45 rpm disc (vs. a 33 1/3), they could only fit the Organ Concerto on it.  I know, looks strange to me too as I'm not used to seeing a 12-inch record being played at 45 rpm!  I do have a friend though who has at least one of those:  a Beach Boys lp (2 lp set) of Pet Sounds.  https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/98211/The_Beach_Boys-Pet_Sounds-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record  There's also a stereo version of it too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Oh yes sorry, the longer LP has the same cover.

fbjim

Has anyone ever picked up the Readers' Digest LP boxes? Oddly enough they're still considered "in print" (as in- they're on Spotify, with Readers Digest logos on them, even!), and the ones I picked up are almost always in good condition. Not to mention that they have zero resale value - I picked up the "Festival of Light Classical Music" for $1.50.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Festival-Of-Light-Classical-Music/release/2992354

There's a lot of Rene "I hate Sibelius" Leibowitz in there- I particularly liked his recordings of French music in that set, much of which is with the Paris Conservatory - also the box's programming is far more interesting than the title might indicate. "La Valse" is in there, which is hardly my idea of "Light classical!"

And it's basically RCA Living Stereo quality sound - they produced them, and unlike other compilations from the likes of Time-Life etc, these really were well made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHKcXHU6ytA

Also given their penchant for condensing and abridging books, having all four movements of Eine Kleine Nachtmusick, when virtually every light compilation I've ever seen gives you just the first- was a bit ironic.

Irons

Quote from: fbjim on July 26, 2021, 02:01:50 PM
Has anyone ever picked up the Readers' Digest LP boxes? Oddly enough they're still considered "in print" (as in- they're on Spotify, with Readers Digest logos on them, even!), and the ones I picked up are almost always in good condition. Not to mention that they have zero resale value - I picked up the "Festival of Light Classical Music" for $1.50.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Festival-Of-Light-Classical-Music/release/2992354

There's a lot of Rene "I hate Sibelius" Leibowitz in there- I particularly liked his recordings of French music in that set, much of which is with the Paris Conservatory - also the box's programming is far more interesting than the title might indicate. "La Valse" is in there, which is hardly my idea of "Light classical!"

And it's basically RCA Living Stereo quality sound - they produced them, and unlike other compilations from the likes of Time-Life etc, these really were well made.

Also given their penchant for condensing and abridging books, having all four movements of Eine Kleine Nachtmusick, when virtually every light compilation I've ever seen gives you just the first- was a bit ironic.

Firstly, welcome and thanks for posting. The Readers Digest boxes produced  by the legendary Charles Gerhardt are from the high water mark of analogue sound. If not all, most were engineered  by the equally legendary Kenneth Wilkinson. Both production and artistic values are exemplary through the whole series. Chesky Records, an audiophile label, released individually at premium price the contents of the Readers Digest "Treasury if Great Music," a stunning set. Leibowitz features along with Sargent, Reiner, Kempe, Horenstein, Munch, Krips and Dorati. There is also a box set of film music which if I recall correctly is conducted by Gerhardt. Not to be forgotten a set of Beethoven Symphonies with again Leibowitz.
Wearing my deerstalker, as the sets were only available on subscription to readers of Readers Digest many of whom not that interested in Classical music it can be the case the sets were not played much. Finding a set in mint condition is not beyond the realms of possibility.       

aligreto

A big welcome from me also  :)

Biffo

When I was a teenager my older brother bought Festival of Light Classical Music from Reader's Digest. I listened to it far more than he did and it was my introduction to numerous classical composers. It was far more interesting (to me) than the stuff we listened to in school music lessons. A few years ago I found a near mint copy (though lacking the booklet) in a charity shop. I still dip into it from time to time when feeling nostalgic.

Another RD box I own, also bought from a charity shop, is The Great Barbirolli. This is made up of recordings from the Pye Catalogue; I have just about all of it on later CD reissues but still occasionally listen to the LPs.

Pohjolas Daughter

Yes, I do keep an eye out for them....actually, first of all, welcome to the forum!!  :)

Alas, the one set that I did pick up turned out not to be in the best of shape.  Am still on the hunt for it though.

What other LPs do you have that you love?  Or are on the look out for?  :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

fbjim

I got a factory sealed set of the Command Records Steinberg/Pittsburgh Brahms performances. He's not the most prestigious conductor but Command/Pittsburgh stuff is in great sound quality and the performances of the German rep is underappreciated (is it even still in print?).

A great copy of the Boulez NY Phil Concerto for Orchestra was a good dollar-bin pickup too. Not to mention that the store owner tossed in a box of the Colin Davis Tosca because "nobody buys opera" (he actually tried to get me to take a big moving box of classical stuff off his hands for space reasons- if I had a car I would have taken him up on it. If I actually had a hustle mindset, you could make decent money shuttling things from the stores here that don't know how to price classical music to the ones who do- that's the same store that sold me a pristine MLP DSO/Paray record of La Mer/Iberia for a buck)

as far as stuff I'm looking for - there's a Nonesuch LP of Xenakis with Bohor on it that I've really wanted for a bit, and pretty much any Hollywood String Quartet LP.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: fbjim on July 27, 2021, 07:09:13 AM
I got a factory sealed set of the Command Records Steinberg/Pittsburgh Brahms performances. He's not the most prestigious conductor but Command/Pittsburgh stuff is in great sound quality and the performances of the German rep is underappreciated (is it even still in print?).

A great copy of the Boulez NY Phil Concerto for Orchestra was a good dollar-bin pickup too. Not to mention that the store owner tossed in a box of the Colin Davis Tosca because "nobody buys opera" (he actually tried to get me to take a big moving box of classical stuff off his hands for space reasons- if I had a car I would have taken him up on it. If I actually had a hustle mindset, you could make decent money shuttling things from the stores here that don't know how to price classical music to the ones who do- that's the same store that sold me a pristine MLP DSO/Paray record of La Mer/Iberia for a buck)

as far as stuff I'm looking for - there's a Nonesuch LP of Xenakis with Bohor on it that I've really wanted for a bit, and pretty much any Hollywood String Quartet LP.
I don't believe that the Brahms/Steinberg is still in print.  Looks like it came out on CD as a set a while ago?  Perhaps as a download these days?

Drat, sorry that you couldn't have taken him up on that box of records!  And congrats on the Paray record.

They're some "for sale" listing of the Xenakis record that you want on Discogs though they're not dirt cheap.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

fbjim

I'd guess the Command stuff is in that quasi-legal European public-domain status where you can probably find hyper-budget labels putting them out as LP transfers. Not sure if anyone owns that label but there was some relatively strong stuff on it. Maybe not enough for a reissue box, though...

(speaking of boxes, I got invited to poke through a box of classical records that came into one of the nicer stores here- picked up a few of the original Haitink Mahler symphonies (and Das Lied) for a fair price. unfortunately when I pulled out a copy of Music for 18 Musicians the owner immediately knew that record was worth decent money...)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: fbjim on July 27, 2021, 08:23:48 AM
I'd guess the Command stuff is in that quasi-legal European public-domain status where you can probably find hyper-budget labels putting them out as LP transfers. Not sure if anyone owns that label but there was some relatively strong stuff on it. Maybe not enough for a reissue box, though...

(speaking of boxes, I got invited to poke through a box of classical records that came into one of the nicer stores here- picked up a few of the original Haitink Mahler symphonies (and Das Lied) for a fair price. unfortunately when I pulled out a copy of Music for 18 Musicians the owner immediately knew that record was worth decent money...)
Yes, a lot of that 60's-70's experimental music can go for high prices--particularly if the composer becomes well-known.  I've tried a few albums from that time period; so far, in any event, the music hasn't really appealed to me.   :(
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: fbjim on July 27, 2021, 08:23:48 AM

I recall Command Classics I think, rather garish covers? They got on the Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo bandwagon, bit like Everest. I can only remember US imports with thick covers, not European pressings

vandermolen

45 RPM actually! I've been enjoying my Arthur Bliss EP which arrived today in remarkably good condition:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2021, 09:50:15 AM
45 RPM actually! I've been enjoying my Arthur Bliss EP which arrived today in remarkably good condition:

Neat!  I love the cover!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter