Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Funny, some of us are into mechanical watches too. Speaking of that

I just got my "problem child" 1950s hand-wound Movado back in the mail today after trying this watchmaker near our vacation spot on the CA Central Coast. Seems to be working ok, but after lots of money spent on this watch with various watchmakers (bought for too much money online from a supposedly reputable dealer  >:( ), he told me that it had been screwed around with by innumerable half-assed watchmakers over the years and was in pretty bad shape overall. He serviced it as best he could, but told me not to expect much, and not to wear it as an everyday watch (had no plans to do that anyway). When it dies, we agreed, it's not worth the outlay to fix again. It will sit here in my museum of non-working watches.  :( Sad too, because it is a gorgeous, understated watch. OTOH, I have an old Longines Admiral and Doxa Antimagnetic (gorgeous NOS watch at 39 mm) that are quite trouble free and fairly accurate. In the world of watches, finding an honest, knowledgeable, experienced watchmaker and dealer is EVERYTHING. An old mechanical watch is not a Toyota Corolla, and you will likely have to expend a lot of effort to find someone worthy of servicing it.

Sometime, if you really want to feel like a poor, non-Davos vulture capitalist job creator, try shopping for watches in Berlin or Dresden--cheapest Lange in the window = 50,000 Euros!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Irons

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on January 31, 2019, 06:17:29 PM

I just got my "problem child" 1950s hand-wound Movado back in the mail today after trying this watchmaker near our vacation spot on the CA Central Coast. Seems to be working ok, but after lots of money spent on this watch with various watchmakers (bought for too much money online from a supposedly reputable dealer  >:( ), he told me that it had been screwed around with by innumerable half-assed watchmakers over the years and was in pretty bad shape overall. He serviced it as best he could, but told me not to expect much, and not to wear it as an everyday watch (had no plans to do that anyway). When it dies, we agreed, it's not worth the outlay to fix again. It will sit here in my museum of non-working watches.  :( Sad too, because it is a gorgeous, understated watch. OTOH, I have an old Longines Admiral and Doxa Antimagnetic (gorgeous NOS watch at 39 mm) that are quite trouble free and fairly accurate. In the world of watches, finding an honest, knowledgeable, experienced watchmaker and dealer is EVERYTHING. An old mechanical watch is not a Toyota Corolla, and you will likely have to expend a lot of effort to find someone worthy of servicing it.

Sometime, if you really want to feel like a poor, non-Davos vulture capitalist job creator, try shopping for watches in Berlin or Dresden--cheapest Lange in the window = 50,000 Euros!

You are right about servicing being a problem. The watch I wear daily is a Zenith Sporto, the only work done is a new winder as the old one was worn. The other, an Omega Seamaster 600, I thought a good idea to send away for a full service. The watch is now very stiff to wind up - I think it may be a self-winder. The service cost just over £100 which in retrospect a proper service would cost much more then that. I actually think this service a waste of time. I inherited both from my father-in-law when he passed away. I have not a clue what they are worth.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Back to cartoons. $:)

I can only think of one cartoon style LP cover. But it is a good un -

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on January 31, 2019, 06:17:29 PM

Interesting, mine is a Movado--though much more recent than yours; it's back after a 'cleaning' and a replacement of a 'spring' (so I was told).  After reading your posting, I'm praying that the supposedly 'authorized' watch person was/is good! 

Best wishes (for both you and your collection),

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 01, 2019, 12:46:44 AM
Back to cartoons. $:)

I can only think of one cartoon style LP cover. But it is a good un -

Some very unhappy looking musicians there Irons!!  :(
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 01, 2019, 07:02:51 AM
Some very unhappy looking musicians there Irons!!  :(

Reiner was not known for spreading joy, P.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 01, 2019, 11:28:00 PM
Reiner was not known for spreading joy, P.
That's my understanding....though I try not to focus nor like to read about things like that...just here to enjoy the music!   ;)

By the way, I spoke to my audio guy and asked what he thought of the cartoon; he hadn't check his email recently!  Alas, he hasn't had a chance yet to look at my amp.   :(  He'll get there eventually.

PD

p.s.  Spent a chunk of time yesterday trying to sort through and also move some LPs...which required temporarily boxing up some books, etc.  What a mess!  I'm hoping that a friend of mine might help me by building some more shelving for me.  Also, need to get rid of some of my books:  too much music and too many books!  Help!   ::)
Pohjolas Daughter

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 01, 2019, 06:59:28 AM
Interesting, mine is a Movado--though much more recent than yours; it's back after a 'cleaning' and a replacement of a 'spring' (so I was told).  After reading your posting, I'm praying that the supposedly 'authorized' watch person was/is good! 

Best wishes (for both you and your collection),

PD

Thanks, same to you. The Movado is actually running quite well although I have not actually worn it yet. My new watchmaker told me that the movement was not Movado's best, and they had the "clever" idea of using some metal clamps (?) where they should have used screws--hence, it was a compromised movement to begin with 15 jewels or not. PM me if you need the details of this watchmaker, I'll send you the info.

Too many books and music--a problem for many of us.  I have recently become tired of always buying new books and music and rushing to listen to them and read them so I can go on to the next thing. I almost feel as I'm overstuffing myself at some all-you-can-eat buffet. I have way too much to listen to, so I've really scaled back my buying. As for books, I've also purposely not bought anything new for a bit--time to go back and explore some old favorites, which I am greatly enjoying. Currently re-reading Colin Thubron's wonderful travel book on Siberia. 

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on February 02, 2019, 12:36:04 PM
Thanks, same to you. The Movado is actually running quite well although I have not actually worn it yet. My new watchmaker told me that the movement was not Movado's best, and they had the "clever" idea of using some metal clamps (?) where they should have used screws--hence, it was a compromised movement to begin with 15 jewels or not. PM me if you need the details of this watchmaker, I'll send you the info.

Too many books and music--a problem for many of us.  I have recently become tired of always buying new books and music and rushing to listen to them and read them so I can go on to the next thing. I almost feel as I'm overstuffing myself at some all-you-can-eat buffet. I have way too much to listen to, so I've really scaled back my buying. As for books, I've also purposely not bought anything new for a bit--time to go back and explore some old favorites, which I am greatly enjoying. Currently re-reading Colin Thubron's wonderful travel book on Siberia.
Good for you (re consumption)!  One project for this winter--well, two actually--going through books (what to keep, what to donate, and what to sell) and also music!

Watch is working well (knock on wood).   8)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on February 07, 2019, 12:36:40 AM
HMV lives on!  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/05/doug-putman-vinyl-hmv-sunrise-records

I don't want any business to go bust but the loss of HMV wouldn't affect me at all, it ceased to be a serious seller of classical music years ago. Good luck to Mr Putnam in his efforts.

Pohjolas Daughter

Yesterday, I cleaned off and played an old Stephen Bishop album that someone had given me.  It was of Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto with Colin Davis and the BBCSO on Philips.  I enjoyed the performance but was surprised at how bad the recording was!  It was from I believe 1972?  Looking at the LP jacket, I noticed that it was manufactured by Columbia House (and New York address).  Did some further digging, and it seems that Columbia had a record club and did pressings at a number of different plants.  This didn't say anything about it being a CRC recording, but I'm guessing that this was the case?

Wondering whether anyone here is familiar with this recording and if so, how do you find it to be?  Also, whether or not anyone has heard either the British pressing or the Dutch ones.  Sadly, I found the sound stage to feel quite distant and rather lacking in focus.  It also was faintly crackly/hissy -- that might have been more due to my cleaning efforts (on a RCM) but I did rinse it well with that fancy 'pure' water. 

This is an image of the Dutch pressing (mine looks the same.  Only difference that I can tell is on the back at the bottom as to who manufactured mine). 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2019, 04:31:53 AM
Yesterday, I cleaned off and played an old Stephen Bishop album that someone had given me.  It was of Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto with Colin Davis and the BBCSO on Philips.  I enjoyed the performance but was surprised at how bad the recording was!  It was from I believe 1972?  Looking at the LP jacket, I noticed that it was manufactured by Columbia House (and New York address).  Did some further digging, and it seems that Columbia had a record club and did pressings at a number of different plants.  This didn't say anything about it being a CRC recording, but I'm guessing that this was the case?

Wondering whether anyone here is familiar with this recording and if so, how do you find it to be?  Also, whether or not anyone has heard either the British pressing or the Dutch ones.  Sadly, I found the sound stage to feel quite distant and rather lacking in focus.  It also was faintly crackly/hissy -- that might have been more due to my cleaning efforts (on a RCM) but I did rinse it well with that fancy 'pure' water. 

This is an image of the Dutch pressing (mine looks the same.  Only difference that I can tell is on the back at the bottom as to who manufactured mine). 

PD

I have this disc as part of a box set of the piano concertos; it was manufactured in Holland by Philips. It sounds fine to me though typical of its time. The piano is rather forward but well-recorded. The orchestra does sound slightly recessed when playing tuttis but I wouldn't describe it as distant. The slow movement where the piano predominates sounds the best. I can't detect any hiss but that is probably down to my ageing ears.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Biffo on February 07, 2019, 05:53:58 AM
I have this disc as part of a box set of the piano concertos; it was manufactured in Holland by Philips. It sounds fine to me though typical of its time. The piano is rather forward but well-recorded. The orchestra does sound slightly recessed when playing tuttis but I wouldn't describe it as distant. The slow movement where the piano predominates sounds the best. I can't detect any hiss but that is probably down to my ageing ears.
Hi Biffo,

Thank you for taking the time to give it a listen and sharing your thoughts with me.  I agree with you about the piano being recorded well.  To me, it (the orchestra) sounded...how to describe it rather homogenized than being able to hear distinct sections or instruments and being able to pinpoint them space-wise?  Whereas today I had a totally different experience; I cleaned off and played Tchaikovsky's Pathétique Symphony with Reiner and the CSO on a RCA Living Stereo album.  I probably should give it another run through before I send it off to a charity shop (currently, it's residing in that pile).  Perhaps the CD transfer is much better in this case?

Am curious here as to whether anyone else here has heard/had experience with the Columbia House pressings and how they find them to be.

Thank you again,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2019, 04:31:53 AM

PD

Interesting, P. In a way you have perfectly described the house sound of Philips. A label (this is a vinyl thread) brilliant for chamber music with Haydn piano trios, Beethoven quartets and lots more they are the absolute best. For larger forces, I think the best way to describe Philips is conservative. Which is not bad in itself, but you are not going to hear the impact of Mercury and RCA or the realism of Decca. UK and Dutch Philips pressings do sound different, so I guess CBS will too, but I think it is more likely the recording you are not warming to.
I do not own that particular record, but have Bishop/Davis on Philips with Mozart PC K.467 & K.503. I will give it a spin tonight and report back.

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on February 07, 2019, 07:17:12 AM
Interesting, P. In a way you have perfectly described the house sound of Philips. A label (this is a vinyl thread) brilliant for chamber music with Haydn piano trios, Beethoven quartets and lots more they are the absolute best. For larger forces, I think the best way to describe Philips is conservative. Which is not bad in itself, but you are not going to hear the impact of Mercury and RCA or the realism of Decca. UK and Dutch Philips pressings do sound different, so I guess CBS will too, but I think it is more likely the recording you are not warming to.
I do not own that particular record, but have Bishop/Davis on Philips with Mozart PC K.467 & K.503. I will give it a spin tonight and report back.

That is one of my all-time favourite Mozart records, I still have the LP. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Irons on February 07, 2019, 07:17:12 AMI do not own that particular record, but have Bishop/Davis on Philips with Mozart PC K.467 & K.503. I will give it a spin tonight and report back.

That was literally the third classical LP that I ever purchased. I still consider it one of the finest recordings I have owned (I have it on CD now, which doesn't seem to have the same silky smoothness as my memory of the LP.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks Irons.

Speaking of Decca, I cleaned and put on an Ansermet recording of Debussy and Ravel (Nocturnes and Rapsodie Espagnole)...sublime!  One sad thing, and I don't know whether or not you can comment on this from afar, but after cleaning, I did notice a small gouge on the Debussy side.  I went ahead and played it, I could hear a slight thud(?) for about 8 times as the needle went over it.  It didn't make a REALLY loud sound, but it certainly was quite noticeable.  Wondering how much damage this does to a needle?  The performances are so lovely and the sound is great (record made in England)...would love to find another copy of it.  Currently enjoying the R.E. on the flip side.   :)

Speaking of Philips, some time ago, I remember someone mentioning about how the Dutch ended up restricting the dynamics when they did pressings (as compared to the British ones).  Have you (or anyone else here) noticed that?  It does seem that way to me...though I don't believe that I've heard any British pressings of Philips.

PD

p.s.  Will look to see if I perhaps have that Mozart/Bishop one (doubt it, but you never know!).
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2019, 07:39:24 AM
Thanks Irons.

Speaking of Decca, I cleaned and put on an Ansermet recording of Debussy and Ravel (Nocturnes and Rapsodie Espagnole)...sublime!  One sad thing, and I don't know whether or not you can comment on this from afar, but after cleaning, I did notice a small gouge on the Debussy side.  I went ahead and played it, I could hear a slight thud(?) for about 8 times as the needle went over it.  It didn't make a REALLY loud sound, but it certainly was quite noticeable.  Wondering how much damage this does to a needle?  The performances are so lovely and the sound is great (record made in England)...would love to find another copy of it.  Currently enjoying the R.E. on the flip side.   :)

Speaking of Philips, some time ago, I remember someone mentioning about how the Dutch ended up restricting the dynamics when they did pressings (as compared to the British ones).  Have you (or anyone else here) noticed that?  It does seem that way to me...though I don't believe that I've heard any British pressings of Philips.

PD

p.s.  Will look to see if I perhaps have that Mozart/Bishop one (doubt it, but you never know!).

P, have you examined the "gouge" under a strong light? The reason I ask is the noise you describe, a repeated thud, is often a piece of crud affixed to the grooves. Under a spot-light I carefully work on the blob with a finger nail until removal. This happens quite a lot, in fact only last week. If you do it carefully no harm comes to the record itself.

Ansermet is my favourite conductor in this music. The earlier mono Nocturnes is outstanding too.

UK pressings are as you say more dynamic but Dutch are CD quite. I worry less now regarding pressings.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 07, 2019, 08:43:44 AM
P, have you examined the "gouge" under a strong light? The reason I ask is the noise you describe, a repeated thud, is often a piece of crud affixed to the grooves. Under a spot-light I carefully work on the blob with a finger nail until removal. This happens quite a lot, in fact only last week. If you do it carefully no harm comes to the record itself.

Ansermet is my favourite conductor in this music. The earlier mono Nocturnes is outstanding too.

UK pressings are as you say more dynamic but Dutch are CD quite. I worry less now regarding pressings.

Irons,

No, it's definitely not any sort of crud alas.  The depression is about (off the top of my head) 1/4 to a 1/3 of an inch wide?  I'll try and take a picture for you later.  This afternoon, I was doing several hours of crawling around on the ground and digging through boxes trying to organize (and move) my LPs (and get rid of some too)...hard getting up after that!   ::)  I did find some to toss and some to donate...trying to get more rigorous in examine those that I gave into purchasing in a moment of weakness that really have seen better days.  Some of them I'll clean first and give them a go on the record player and decide from there.  Almost done going through some that were giving to me--found some that had water damage and were moldy (Bye, bye!)....a set of Beethoven symphonies by a conductor that I already own (donate), etc.  One nice thing (potentially deadly), a friend came up with an idea for shelving and offered to build me some if I wanted!   8) ??? :-\  What to do?! 

The Nocturnes that I listened to were in mono (but still sounded SOOO good!).

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter